Analog Heat

whilst I am warming to the Heat ( sorry ) Elektron won’t be getting my cash this time : just ordered a whole different sort of warmth - Erica Synths Fusion Drone system

Sadly they’re making a new batch of the Fusion VCF imminently, so I’ve got a bit of a wait… but this is the sort of heat I’m after…

1 Like

When i have the Analog Heat and if it’s a keeper for me the first thing i replace is the big plastic gettoblaster character knob, looks so cheap and fancy

I wonder if it could be replaced with the big Analog Keys knob???

this kind of distortion is also what i expect from the heat … oh man…

its xmas soon
i predict some heat around the same time as xmas discount for other gear.

its tradition :slight_smile:

Black Friday 25th November 2016 is part of my plan. If the Analog Heat stays then ill might get the Octatrack back. In 2015 the discount was 10% and in 2014 even 15%. Time will tell…

The Octatrack & Analog Heat for the perfect combo :fire:

2 Likes

I kind of got my mind set on getting an AH as soon as they come out. I can record my tracks through it, and pair it with my newly aquired Modor NF-1 to make a freaky hybrid.

wish I hadn’t seen this… that black classic system from Erica too !!! black beauty :tired_face:

Look forward to details on this row of modules for sure, tbh the most I’ve ever been interested in Euro!! Mind blowing sound on that valvey drone rack.

• excuse the derail please. Had to be said. x
2 Likes

what about sherman filterbank 2?

1 Like

When’s it coming out then lads ? Likely This year? or.,

Likely.

3 Likes

I have a really basic question about compression. How does a compressor differ from what the AH has to offer if there is a threshold sensitive envelope that controls dynamics? Is the AH actually a highly tweakable compressor with distortion/overdrive? There isn’t a ratio, per se, on the AH; but would adjusting the envelope settings give the same effect? Where the AH goes beyond a compressor is allowing the envelope to modulate the filter/EQ/distortion parameters along with the amp. Please help me understand what makes a compressor a compressor.

1 Like

Would “ratio” on a compressor be the same as envelope depth?

I’d imagine something approaching compression to be:

envelope sensitivity = threshold
envelope depth = ratio
env atk / dcy = compression envelope

the only thing that doesn’t add up is the “ratio”, which on a compressor scales the input amplitude relatively instead of applying a fixed amount of GR (unless there’s some special modulation target for this on the AH?). So while you can achieve some compression-like effects this way, it still wont act like a normal comp. Plenty of pumping capability though!

questions regarding presets:

1. I guess when you select a preset, all the encoder-controlled parameters are recalled from the preset, but the potentiometer-controlled parameters are not? so e.g. the filter settings stay as they are between presets… or does it save these also? and on preset load, it loads everything, and when you then turn the knob it jumps or picks up the pot value…?

2. what if you want to match certain presets to certain kits on other Elektron machines. E.g. you have kits A and B in your Rytm and you want to have Heat presets A and B selected whenever you play a pattern which has kit A/B, respectively. The Rytm sends a program change when you switch pattern. But it doesn’t tell the Heat which kit is playing… so I guess this isn’t possible*?

*There could be an update to the other machines’ OSes where you could enable an option to also send a program change (on a specified channel) whenever a kit is changed…? This could be useful for many situations maybe. I don’t think it makes any sense switching Heat presets with program changes emitted by pattern-change on other Elektron machines.

1 Like

Parameters that have direct controls (pots) will be saved/loaded as well. By default the knob behavior is ‘catch’, this means that you need to turn the potentiometer to the value stored in the patch before you can change them. You can change this behavior to ‘jump’, this will instantly change the value to the knob position when it is used.

It accepts Program Changes. When you change Pattern it could change the Preset on the Heat for example. That is the current implementation, any suggestions are as always welcome. (Hint: feature-request@elektron.se :wink:)

5 Likes

cool thanks!
yeah tbh I’m not sure if I got a watertight solution to suggest - even if other Elektron gear would send program-change when a kit is switched, the usefulness of this would probably be limited… the other gear having +drive projects, and the heat doesn’t (?). So if you fill the Heat with presets which match kits from one other machine’s project, the same presets might not be what yo want for another project, so whenever you switch projects, you’d have to load a complete set of presets into the Heat. Dunno…

1 Like

well if the heat had projects too, that would be sorted with that.

Dear Simon,
Thoman has listed it for october the 28th to get the first batch out, is that realistic?

Cheers
Goat

We had a presentation event yesterday in Mexico city with Daniel, great presentation BTW, from Elektron and John Tejada.

I liked the filter a lot and how you can use the envelope follower to modulate various parameters, some distortions sound great. Some seem more directed towards mixing and even mastering but other are just pure destruction.

Not sure if I am going to get it, probably not soon. But I think it offers decent value with the included filter and stereo config from the go, certainly any other alternative is much more expensive.

But I hadn’t had the chance to listen to a Rytm live and now I am sure I am getting one next.

3 Likes

Hey Goat,

I’m sure you are as tired of reading this as I am writing it but;
Can’t give you a straight answer at this moment, sorry! :cb: