Analog Heat

Hmm… Nasal would be the last thing I’d describe it as. Try downloading the SC demos as wav; the 128kbps mp3 compression usually adds a nasal quality to it.

Anyway, I hope we get that video out soon - I think it’s difficult to gather what is happening to the sound without seeing what is going on. The Elysia video with LEM is splendid in that regard.

4 Likes

Yeah we really need a video of this thing to hear the way it reacts when tweaked. So hard to determine from audio only

naww we just need to get our hands on it in-store! Much better way to know

1 Like

Time is runnig fast, website (bax-shop.nl) now says delivery within 2 weeks. :slight_smile:

Your absolutely right, but I could not resist the discount and I have to admit that some of the demo’s made me want it, but purely based on soundscaping possibilities of it. The thing I am very curious about is, how it excels in using it as a master effect, for example to put it behind the main out of the Octatrack, just to slightly tweak the sound of it, similar to the Elysia Karackter. Also the possibilities of the Midi CC/CV control have not being shown yet, yep a bit of leap of faith, but I trust on it the AH will not let me down, at least in terms of tweaking and destroying things, what I like :wink:
Time will tell.

Good to know that some people can hear the difference between Germanium, Silicon and Gallium arsenide semiconductors.:slight_smile:

1 Like

I think one of the newer demos with the Monotribe was a great example how one can bring a somewhat flat and not that exciting sound and lift it to new heights.

This made me excited.

3 Likes

This is a big use case for me personally. I have been enjoying it quite a bit for warming up mixes.
Enhancement (tube-like) and Saturation (tape-like) are both the type of distortion for coloring use.
You can also work very finely with dry/wet [with all of the distortions] and the filter for some really subtle coloring of a mix. Lower the input gain and you will have finer distortion to work with as well.

Tough thing to show off or demo though; what makes a mix ‘work’ for you is highly individual, and is usually applied very subtly.

CV/MIDI is what you would expect; route & modulate! Almost everything is controllable from MIDI/CV/Env/LFO

5 Likes

ok Simon, what are the parameters in detail? i mean, are there any parameters “inside” the saturation-model or the other seven for example?

Can’t comment more on the matter at the moment.

2 Likes

Thing is that if you’re using it for warming up mixes in studio or across an entire live set and you can only access 1 distortion per patch then it’s very unlikely you’ll be using it with modulations/creatively, so it’s almost kind of like you’d want to purchase 2 of them. One for mix duties and one for fun/creative. Pretty expensive road to go down!

The demos sound good and have me curious enough to wish I could get a couple hours hands on one and form a real opinion on it. But at the same time I’m not sure it really sounds any better than the best current plugins in most cases. And obvs with plugins you have the convenience of multiple instances and all that jazz.

For non-computer setups and live shows I can see it being a lot more attractive/fewer alternatives tho.

Would be great to see a video comparing with Deco/Sherman Filterbank/Satin/Kaya etc. Same source material fed through each and hear what’s happening…

What do you mean exactly?
You can change the distortion type anytime.

I wonder what those “Eight stereo analog distortion circuits” mean. If you can select only one at the same time it would be strange to describe them like that and a waste of circuits I guess. Like a pedalboard of stomp boxes where you can only use one at the same time.
Can they be chained or accessed via Overbridge on separate channels? That would be fun.

Sorry, I’m not explaining my point very well.

I mean if I’m using it as a mastering type effect (to mimic tape or tube and beef up/add character etc) then it’s more than likely going to be pretty much ‘set and forget’ across the master bus throughout an entire show or album etc. So in spite of everything its capable of I’d often just be using it the same as I use my Deco already. ‘Set and forget’ tape vibe/warmth across the mix…ie. If it does something great to mixes then I’m not going to want to disable that at a point during a show etc and have the mix noticeably suck in comparison all of a sudden :wink:

But I guess in techno etc people seem to mess with the master fx a lot more than people do in the stuff I’m in to (weird pop… Ariel pink kind of stuff.).

Just seems a shame with all those separate distortions to only have 1 stereo instance available simultaneously… 2 stereo channels would have been killer. One for your master bus and the other to get crazy with…

But it does sound good and as a distortion tool box it seems to offer a lot of shades. 8 stereo analog distortion types in one box is very tempting on paper :slight_smile: Like you say, I think something like this needs to be shown in a video or tried out firsthand. Ill try to demo one when they hit stores…

2 Likes

This is what I’m wondering. It’s kind of a shame to have all those circuits and only be able to use one at a time. Would be cool if you could use them all at once through OB some how.

1 Like

Not possible. Would need converters for each distortion circuit, that would have been super expensive. :ooh:

2 Likes

Makes a lot of sense.

so AD/DA converters are the most expensive parts in modern equipment?

No, the analog components are the most costly part. And there are lots.

3 Likes

Be interested on info about components in each of the separate distortions. Like is each one quite high spec quality with comparable sound to a half decent driveable stereo preamp etc? Or more comparable to a £50 guitar pedal?

For master bus duties etc, if you guys have put 8 different distortions in there, I wonder how well are they going to individually compare against something low/mid-end like an art tube mpa gold with replacement tubes or a couple of gap pre73s.

I know these are all ‘master bus’ concerns, and Heat isn’t only about that role. Just trying to get rough idea about how good the quality of the distortions are individually for those master bus duties.

Is the filter new or same as AK?

Keen to see the videos appear and some comparisons…

Would bit reduction be addable in OS possibly? Been hitting D16’s decimort 2 a lot ITB lately. Would be cool to have those kind of options alongside the Analog distortions.