Analog Heat

it is what it is - a distortion/warming-up unit with a USB2 interface - streaming many tracks into the box

all that hoo ha leading up to this release! YAWN

It does undistortion!

Play in your Metallica favourites and they come out like folk acoustic classics :grinning:

12 Likes

Even though that a wrench key is limited in its ā€˜feature setā€™, doesnĀ“t mean you canĀ“t use it beyond its intended use. IĀ“m sure we all can imagine at least one/two more use cases for it, more or less hurtfulā€¦

I think there are some vague clues on that webpage (IMHO).

What do you know about it (as stated in that webpage or said by Elektron)?

Is ā‚¬ 799,00 expensive? Well, itā€™s not cheap, butā€¦
8 quality distortion pedals cost will cost you more
This oneā€™s got a multimode filter, Envelope, LFO, MIDI/CV Control
It has OB, whether you like it or not, for my workflow itā€™s perfect.
Especially for making loops/sounds for the OT/AR.

I think itā€™s an interesting box, because I can use it for making new sounds.
But I also think itā€™s interesting to add it to the main outs of the OT to ā€˜heat upā€™ the final mix, I am very interested how the Saturation circuit sounds, if you really can go into detail with itā€¦
It would be also interesting to control it via midi through the OT.
I am very curious about the MIDI implementation, for example could you switch between the various circuits via midi as well?

Besides that I think it looks goodā€¦

I am willing to pay the price, but I really, really hope that Elektron does not go where Clavia went.
So Elektron, please surprise us with a couple of more fx boxes, we will buy them, but after that you have to give us an OT2 and a performance mixer and of course surprise us we new weird/wicked digital synths/drumcomputers etc. etc. :loopy:

2 Likes

You meanā€¦ north?
:smirk:

3 Likes

Looks like suddenly every mix, synth, sampler and drum box sounds cold and needs to be boosted and distorted :sunglasses:

1 Like

who are ā€œweā€?

Too many alien voices.

:alien::alien::alien:

2 Likes

Yeah itā€™s arguably worth the price but id guess most people have distortion pretty well covered already between pedals, preamps and vsts?Makes it feel very niche/luxury? Although for live shows without a computer it does fill a gap (8 distortion types, presets, midi + stereo).

Its roughly true what you say about 8 distortion pedals etc costing more/the same etc. But donā€™t forget that going that route would also allow you to use up to 8 distortions simultaneously in chains and/or on more than one signal simultaneously with different settings on each. Buying 8 x AH to achieve those same options would be a pretty expensive trip :wink:

Like you say tho, nothing wrong with having more options. No one is forced to buy it and like you I hope it does well and brings Elektron some money for R&D on the next gen of instrument boxes. OT2 especiallyā€¦

1 Like

Beautiful

They should hire me for the teaser for the OT2:

Layers of loops of couples talking. Adding on more couples talking.

Basically emphasizing the two and how people wonā€™t shut up about the demand for an OT2.

This is me, too. I would be over the moon with the announcement of an OT2.

Edit: in the teaser, add in a white flag as a means of surrender :smiley:

2 Likes

They should hire John Carpenter for the teaser of the OT2:
Looks cool :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJeDQYlpBp0

1 Like

Hi folks,

One thing that caught my eye when looking at the heatā€™ s product page happens to be the signal flow that Elektron presents at the bottom. According to that scheme a dry signal enters the heat and is then passed through one of the analog circuits -> filter -> equalizer.

This ā€œblockā€ of three (circuit->filter->eq) can be mixed in at any level with the dry signal.

This allows for very fine grained control of the frequencies that are affected by the distortion.

Imagine, for example, that you distort an incoming loop to destruction, but limit the destruction by using the analog bandpass filter that comes after it. Now the distorted signal is limited to the frequencies you let pass through and that signal is then mixed in with the originalā€¦Add variable drive and an eq and freely assignable envelope (follower) and lfo and this creates an enormous amount of possibilities as it allows you to target the distortion where you want it.

I mimicked this signal flow on the ot to see what I would getā€¦procedure:

-Take some loop and let it run dry on a trackā€¦nothing specialā€¦

-Copy the track to a second track. On this second track place the lo-fi effect and a filter after it.

-Turn down the width parameter on the filter to allow only a very narrow band of frequencies through. Also dial in some resonance to taste.

-Turn up the bases parameter so you clearly hear the bandpassed signal.

-Hit the distortion on the lo-fi effect.

-At this point you have dry copy of the loop and a distorted one that runs in parallel.

-You can now experiment with:

• dry vs. wet by varying the track levels.
  • distortion amount, by hitting the dist parameter.
  • the filter: base frequency, width and resonance.
  • lfoā€™ s on pretty much any parameter mentioned so far.
  • lfo setup for mimicking an envelope.

The idea that Elektron offers us the above in a fully analog signal path with 8 different characters, listening to midi and with an envelope followerā€¦wellā€¦I am not too much in the distortion business, but if this goes where I think it is going, I can see itā€™ s appeal.

M.

14 Likes

I thought so too, but many SoundCloud examples sound ā€˜overdistortedā€™ over the entire spectrumā€¦

2 Likes

Isnā€™t that the case for the last 20-30 years?

hmm, well ā€¦ sorry but not for me :persevere:

i mean ā€¦ the price tag is very high and the audio demos on the website havent really convinced me. its just distortion/overdrive - thats not enough - even if there are many versions of distortion it still is ā€¦ just distortion ^^ and you ONLY need this in form of a overdrive to add warmth to a track. no need for 8 different distortion engines where you have to choose a single one you can use at any given time - analog or not. seriously, no.

a better idea would have been a multi effect box with at least 4 fx tracks, multiple inputs, selectable machines per fx track (reverbs, delays, bitcrusher, yeah, sure distortion :), the list goes on ā€¦ ), elektron sequencer and overbridge support. that would have made MUCH MORE sense because that is what we really need for proper contemporary electronic music production! such a machine doesnt exist and that would be worth 800 ā‚¬ for sure - even if everything would just be digital.

im very very disappointed. this machine doesnt make sense, its waaay too expensive just for a bit of overdrive and it lacks the flexibility i usually expect from Elektron. i wish you good luck that the Analog Heat wont become a non-seller. because if you consider that you only get distortion - along with a filter - the stats really look like it will become one. lets see what time tells ā€¦

For me, personally, I am more interested in the true stereo analog multi-mode filter.
Such products are uncommon, especially in desktop/portable format.
The 2 CV inputs, and 100 memories put it over the top for my uses, and at that price.
And thatā€™s all before I even consider the eight separate saturation/distortion circuits.

2 Likes

It also has EQ, filtering, mod and it can be used as a sound card. The specs and conectivity looks fine on paper. It looks more like a sound shaping tool than an Fx box. Letā€™s wait for some demos and reviews, Elektron just opened the game with distortion and saturation but this box will be surely capable of finest things.

1 Like

hehe, thats what i thought about the Rytm at first ā€¦ until i had it right after release and noticed how limited it was compared to the machinedrum - in terms of sounddesign :slight_smile: no offense, the rytm sounds great and the performance features are awesome ā€¦ but it wasnt the machine a lot of us good old machinedrum lovers expected back at that time so we were very disappointed at first. yeah, until we got used to the limitations and 1.3 came out.

but you are right: lets see if it can transform simple distorted stuff into something great that gets us sceptics excited :wink: from what it says on the paper; right now at least; i wouldnt spend 800 euros for. 400, maybe - but not 800.

1 Like