Analog Heat

I too have an OTO Biscuit which I love and the Heat does a lot more than the Biscuit. Biscuit is a digital downsampler and bitcrusher, but this is pure analog with 8 separate types of distortion, an assignable envelope gen, a very controllable and assignable LFO, an envelope follower, CV control, and EQ. Yes, Biscuit has some fun tricks in the menus, but I am gonna own both. With Heat, you end up with a way more BEEFY signal, there are overtones added all up and down the frequency spectrum.

5 Likes

Interactive online demo is fun! Just a little wet and some of the demos scream, just enough. Sick!

Elektron is really good at selling you something you donā€™t necessarily need but now all of a sudden really want

5 Likes

bit reduction in an all analog signal path? hmmm, that will be tricky to implement :wink:

it would be only possible when the signal arrives through the usb, but then its coming from a Daw, and there is no need for br, because you can simply do it with a plug-in.

2 Likes

ha, good point. a true bypass option at the start of the internal chain of some digital destruction would have been nice then, but of course you can do that outside Heat :wink:

of course, the announcement was more to calm down the allready heated community :blush:

I would like to thank Elektron for their continued dedication and hard work! In this current field where (comparatively) only few companies truly succeed in delivering great products year after year, Elektronā€™s true mission has always been on point and well acomplished. Thank you again for all that you do! (Now please do us all a huge favor and next time you release a new piece of gear, include that freakin amazing sequencer!!!) (thanks!)

3 Likes

The more I think about this the more appealing it seems.
No doubt the versatility of :heat: is on point ā€¦but for that price it really needs to deliver on sound.
For me the effects and filters on Elektron products have always been very dissapointing (however, I donā€™t have experience with Rythm). Soundcloud demos sound pretty good so I really hope this is turns out to be a serious contender against other hi end distortion units.
However, not on the shopping list Iā€™m afraid ā€¦ way too many modules to gas over.

1 Like

Mutable Instruments Braids for the A4

I really love the filters of my Keys and my Rytm. Also rev and delay are very niceā€¦ This is different with the Octatrack, maybe also with the other older boxes, i dont knowā€¦

So i dont expect any problem on thisā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™d say the A4/AK filter was ā€˜okā€™ at best. Ive never really liked it on my AK. Just doesnā€™t feel quite right to me with very narrow sweet spots. Seems very much a user preference thing tho. Interested to know if the AH filter is a new design or ported?

I also like reverb and delay very much on my AK. Chorus isnā€™t that good to my ears for some reason though, I wish they would improve that algorithm.

Also the filters of my AKeys sound awesome when I use them with my VCO based Makenoise 0-coast. It really surprised me because I have sometimes thought that the filter isnā€™t optimal when using it with the internal sounds of the synth.

You honestly have no idea about the difference between digital and analog? Do you even know what a bit is and how they arenā€™t used in analog circuits?

Edit: Sorry for being harsh. Bit reduction works with samples because they are a list of bits (digital numbers). Analog sounds arenā€™t based on bits.

I hoped for a portastudio/multi fx box, but I am also interested in a ā€˜warmingā€™ unit, especially for the OT.
Not that the OT sounds bad, not at all, but it can use a bit of analog heat.

When I heard the Elysia Karacter, I thought this might be the thing I need, but the price of ā‚¬ 1155,00 hold me off.

The Oto Boum caught my eye, only some specs. are found on the internet, release not to be expected for the end of this year, it will be cheaper than the AH, but itā€™s a compressor, with some added distortion.

So the AH with 8 Analog Distortion circuits, Analog filter, Envelope/Envelope follower, LFO, CV / Midi control seems like a gift to me. Of course itā€™s not cheap, but that counts for all Elektron boxes, but to me they are worth every penny I paid for it.

You can always wait a little bit longer, discounts between 10-15% are not rare at resealers, wait for a year or soā€¦

I really like Elektron for what they are doing, I also hope that there choice being these some sort of hardware plugins for the coming products will give 'm that extra push forward, so they will be able to make al lot of our (other) dreams come true in the future as in a Mixer, OT2, FM synth and many other suprisesā€¦

Right now I become more and more excited about the AH, because I think the demos just show the basic stuff and I really think thereā€™s a lot more underneath the skin of this little beast, I really hope CV/Midi control can push this MF to the extreme, think about the OT lfoā€™s/p-locks etcā€¦ we want more demoā€™s!!!

1 Like

FWIW, you can totally create a fully analog bit crusher if you really want to. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Since the Heat has AD/DA in it (necessary by definition to function as a soundcard) it could have a bit reducer in it, but it wouldnā€™t fit in the analog signal path of the unit if it was being used analog-in / analog-out. (Unless there was an AD/DA process in the middle, which wouldnā€™t be worth the potential degradation of the original signal in my opinion).

Hey @srejv this is totally uncool : please consider editing your postā€¦
Teach if you need, but would you mind avoiding humiliating people ? Especially when they are known to be a bit susceptibleā€¦

Please, pal, bring some love to the game.

8 Likes

Really? tell me moreā€¦

Yeah, same thing here; I can live with that filter but the when the resonance start peacking it really hurts my ears: too glassy for my taste. The particular knob behaviour and size can also accentuate that feeling of ā€œhard to findā€ the sweet spots. That said, once your sounds and seqs are done everything sounds quite good.
Hope the Heat filter will be a bit warmer and hairy.

1 Like

And the bit reduction would get out of the mains how?
Or should the mains be put after the AD/DA? Wouldnā€™t that ruin the analog chain?

A4 has an analog path but sends are used to go through the digital reverb.
So analog path + digital FX are not excluding each other as long as you have a separate FX path, as far as I can tell.