Analog Heat

I really like the Biscuit’s filter, and have been wanting to use it without the 8-bit conversion so the Boum has interested me. I’m not sure I like Elektron’s multimode filter more, though I think it’s a lot more versatile for sound shaping, but overall I think the AH sounds great and has me considering it over the Boum (since I already have a Biscuit and a compressor).

The more I make music the more I enjoy distortion it seems. Not necessarily highly distorted stuff, but the Biscuit has made me explore various shades of distortion and has made me realize how much it can do to shape sound in interesting ways. The AH seems great for processing audio the way I work, using it in an effects loop within the OT.

My only criticism is I don’t care much for the big Character knob because it reminds me of the Genre knob on the Microkorg XL I used to have. Not a big deal at all though.

I’m wondering if there will be some sort of limiter built in though, since I imagine levels can vary quite a bit between gain settings, distortion levels, and filter resonance.

My initial reaction was that I wasn’t interested in this, but the interactive demo is really superb and gives me a great idea of how this will sound. Good job with that one, Elektron. :slight_smile:

Oh and there is no way this will replace my Analog Rytm (love the probability trigs), but I think I’ll be able to move some of the more melodic sample stuff to the Octatrack since a lot of that stuff I work with is in stereo… so yeah, I’m already thinking of ways this will fit in my setup. I guess I’m sold. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

If there is some sort of macro-controll is going on like in the a4 then it’s great!

for me the real power of this thing will be modulation capabilities. what parameters will we be able to modulate or what destinations can the incoming CV signals be routed to?
i also have a feeling elektron have something interesting in store for the lack of sequencer and how it can be implemented through overbridge :thinking:

perhaps a way to record, view, and store CV or midi control information in a preset?

for instance, the elysia 19" karacter rack unit has CV control of drive and mix. i expect far far more deeper integration and modulation destinations and control possibilities especially with the on board AD chips to process the incoming CV and audio signals

1 Like

overbridge doesnt add that much cost, but giving support for two different models does. thats always the gamble: put in enough functions in to please the majority and leave the ones out that only a small fraction needs.

2 Likes

…or else get one of this :grin::relaxed:

4 Likes

If this had a bit-reducer, it’d most likely be very effective for emulating the tones imparted by old-school lo-fi samplers.

Agreed, I’d be surprised if bit reduction isn’t a feature.

Maybe it’s on their future update list though :grinning:

Whoa, amazing. I stand corrected. I had no idea about this. Do Elektron document it? Massive game-changer for me! Complete reversal - instead of seeing it as continually buying standalone 2 channel interfaces, they’re now extra ins and outs for the mothership Overbridge beast! Sweet! Here’s a link I found that sums it up if anyone else was thinking the way I was thinking… https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT202000

2 Likes

I think all of you have yet to ask the most important question regarding this new unit - will there be a new PL protective cover???

6 Likes

I guess AM with the LFO would sound similar, but I’d really prefer an algorithm like the one on the RYTM.

A fast LFO modulating amplitude can give an effect similar in sound to sample rate reduction not bit reduction, although the terms often get mixed up.

5 Likes

In the alternative, with overbridge instead of setting up an aggregate device you can route audio from the inputs through the plugin - both work pretty well for me - I generally have my sound card and JU-06 set up as an aggregate device and use the A4 and Rytm through OB, makes it a bit easier to keep track of my ins and outs.

1 Like

I’ll just throw my T-shirt on top like I always do. AC-(Analog Cotton)

1 Like

for me it’s love at first sight, but doesn’t keep me from wondering if the heat will bring anything new to the table if I already have an oto biscuit.

also, though it’s kind of a touchy topic with elektron gear (looking at my octatrack right now), I wonder if there’s a roadmap for adding new functionality through firmware updates. :wink:

Ah, yeah sorry. Yes, I AM discussing my own rig.

The OT has it own quirks that unfortunately makes it quite troublesome to fit into my guitar rig (main instrument). But it also has shown such a great potential in how you are able to abuse it in a very controlled manner (imagination is truly the limit). That makes it such valuable that I won´t part with it, even though I can´t get it to fit in with my guitar gear. So, my thinking the last year have been more towards having/using it as it own instrument for its own sake rather than trying to fit the square box into a round hole so to speak.

So, it´s not any Elektron official teasing here. Unfortunately, I´m no longer an employee at Elektron but I am (at the moment at least) an employee at the partnered production and logistic facility. Which means that I don´t get involved in anything of Elektron business or future plans. More than the tasks that are ordered to be done at the production/logistic facility, of course.

However, since I am at that place. I, of course, have had the opportunity to abuse/test the Heat. And as such inevitably seen all parameters/functions that at least seems to either have been implemented this far or are about to be in a very close future. Some not revealed specifically in that release as far as I can see/read on their webpage. Since I have signed an non-disclosure agreement with Elektron, I´ll refrain from sharing that information (unless cleared from Elektron of course). But it is with that experience, plus my OT paradigm shift thanks to my experiments with it. That makes me thinking that Heat could actually be the perfect partner to the OT in turning them together into a self-contained instrument. Almost to the level of even ditching that CF…

My Axoloti unfortunately haven´t seen much of me, but yes it could be together with the OT, Heat in a fix installation. But that would almost feel like cheating now… lol!

7 Likes

sorry if this has been covered guys,

I was noticed the AH doubles as a sound card, is it class compliant driver wise?

That’s a good distinction to make. Utilizing a bit of both with some analog filter modulated by the envelope would be key to really nailing that SP1200 sound.

2 Likes

I’d be interested to run the new Boutique TR-09 and TB-03 through this thing…

1 Like

I’m very happy with the results of using LOFI effect from OT with TB-3. AH will probably take that to the next level.

TB-03 will probably sound a lot like:

(not meant as a criticism - I haven’t heard the new Rolands IRL yet, and anyway I think ABL3 is very good)

2 Likes