Analog Heat

Expected more if I’m honest. Having the Deformer 2 it’s unlikely I’ll pick this up. Yes there’s the A/D debate but I love the DF’s sound!
OB holds no interest for me tho I know others love it. I’m sure it’ll float many boats on here, just not mine, (probably).
I’ll reserve final judgement for when I hear it in the flesh.
First Elektron device that hasn’t had me checking my bank balance tho :slight_smile:

Looks like a lot is packed into that little box. Price wise, I wonder how comparable the $750 is to what some people paid for an Electrix Filter Factory back in the late 90’s / early 2000s. I think those were like $300 or more.

I guess what I’m saying is, the price seems fair for what you’re getting compared to other analog like a Filter Factory or Sherman Filter Bank.

I don’t know. But are there other things you could do with $700 and have just as much fun? Probably, yes.

3 Likes

at first I was not blown away or even impressed, but after playing with the demo and listening closer, I have to admit it sounds really really great. Good Distortion is really not that easy to achieve and to have a tweakable arsenal of different analog distortions in a box (with presets, envelope, lfo, and what might come later as big surprise) is really f*** great! I won’t be able to buy as it comes out straight away but I’m pretty sure I will buy it sooner or later and add it to my OT+A4 and specially for in the box-stuff.

I can Imagine that there will be some kind of compressor too, like a preset with the envelope follower configured for this job or something like that. Routable Filter would be nice.

Looking forward to the demos and further development.
Congrats Elektron for a really exciting box!!

It’s not dependent on OB in any way !
OB is just a plus for those who use it, it doesn’t take anything away from the hardware.
And as it takes CV in and MIDI in, it can be sequenced by the A4 or the Octatrack.

3 Likes

The first image in the video is burning coal. That’s totally heat

Os update includes compressor?

I’d say the MIDI I/O, SYNC outs, and CV inputs makes it not very OB dependent.

I have no plans at all to use this with OB.

1 Like

mokomo is Elektrodamus= confirmed

But can they actually be linked in stereo?
I remember reading that they could, but also never finding actual confirmation.

Firstly, hats off to Elektron. They are a small operation and they do what they can to remain in business, while trying to keep that coolness factor that we all love, to remain relevant, and to create deep machines that take years to learn and master.

Having said that, i am going to sit this one out. I have sped off to the music store with open wallet to buy any new box since (and including) the OT, but now, after having bought AK for $1799 and seen it drop to $1349, i am ready to wait until the price drops/used units show up at used stores/new elektron toy shows up and heat goes on sale

I can hear your “who cares”. Still fellow elektronites, my two cents.

4 Likes

This is a question that I long to have answered. Will there be the option to use either internal programmable envelopes for filter and amp, the envelope follower on the audio input to shape filter and amp, and CV and MIDI control of envelopes. If yes, one particular nice box in my current rack is going to start feeling nervous for its long-term future.

1 Like

I’m almost positive you can have either triggered envelopes or a envelope follower in the env section. In the overbridge pic it shows the extracted envelope signal, and i bet that fast-slow selection is for the integration time. It actually looks like two different env signals, one in blue and one in yellow, so maybe the yellow one is the one optimized for compressor effects in the VCA section.

So it looks like it has a lot of tricks up its sleeves. Distortion and filtering being obvious, but also including ringmod(AM), tremolo, compression, expansion/gating-ish, auto pan, dynamic eq and probably a few other things we can’t imagine yet. The price seems fair to me considering the features . I’ve wanted a sherman forever, but I think this kills my lust for one.

It is a pretty niche product, but it’s right up my alley even though I already have tons of other analog things that distort and saturate nicely.

2 Likes

Seems like a next-gen Sherman Filterbank. Really like the demos but the price is a bit hard to swallow

1 Like

Ultimately, I would want to get pumping sounds with something like this. Gritty, overdriven, throbbing type sounds using the envelope on different parameters. I had a Dreadbox Epsilon for a bit, which was a multimode filter modulated by an envelope with a “tube-sound” distortion. When the sensitivity for the envelope is dialed in just right, all types of weird sounds happen.

2 Likes

that was what i was thinking :slight_smile: is the heat sequencable ?

We need a Cenk Demo !

3 Likes

I think throbbing, pulsing sounds are gonna be this things forte! I’m imagining strapping it across my MnM outputs to make it even more of a bass monster than it already is.

Imagine if this were the master section of a modular OB mixer setup. Connect multiple 8 channel overbridge and dsp enabled mixer modules to this thru overhub

2 Likes

Modern saturation plugs are great but there is honestly no way to replicate the way a real analog distortion reacts. Especially things like fuzz.

Really interested to know what kinds of circuits these are? Moffset/germanium/led clipping etc. As a guitarist wondering how this thing will sound with an amp after it. Excited.

7 Likes

Meh… Not excited.
I’ll wait and buy one used in a couple of years.
Still waiting on an OT2…

I hope the OP-1 update is more exciting than this.

Still love you Elektron… just not today.

2 Likes

When we spoke at NAMM I kind of picked up on that, so it’s actually really encouraging to hear that you find it so essential now.

1 Like

Waits for Digital Heat…

1 Like