Analog Heat

Interesting.

Eager to hear more demo’s of the AH - it is pricey but there’s something there that I actually really like and could see a use for. As always, it’s not like I need more gear though…

This is way way beyond the AR input effects

You guys make me want to use my :elan: 4 as a :elan: :heat: on the :elmd:
Already used the FX, but never a track with its filter and it’s 2 distortion modes…
I think it’s much more adapted to be used as an FX box than the AR, don’t you think so ?
I mean, you can’t route AR weak input to a track filter/od, or am I forgetting something ?

1 Like

Not a bad idea’r

Yea, this is going to be great with my digital mixer/recorder setup in the Qu-Pac.

A return effect to get that preamp overdrive sound I had on my old big analog Audio Arts 32/8 inline console.

1 Like

I’m, more than anything, itching to get one of those Microgrannies. I hadn’t even thought to run it through a voice track, but that would open up a whole new playing field of “fun with granular”

Not especially - I’m not keeping up with anything happening in the gear world - a desktop evolver gives you a bit of midi a bit of distortion and a decent low pass (and digi hipass) - but it’s the rest of it that sells it really

And whilst not anything like as spectacular as the AH i’d maybe turn to my micro modular to roll-my-own filt/dist/comp/midi/seq mayhem … it would add something, maybe more for a live setting, but it wouldn’t deliver quite the charm the :heat: does - having said all that, I think I might have to knock a patch up soon - either that or try it out on the Axolotl I have coming in the post, but the Nord does at least have passable filter and overdrive modules and there are many more techniques abound to add in dirt and grit - the micro is a steal for the dough, one for the tweakers

as for general/advanced effects, I couldn’t say, I haven’t bought anything like that for well over a decade iirc

1 Like

Yeah, get an MS20 mini and send loops through the ESP/drive/filter. Cheaper than the AH and you get a free analog synth :tongue:

5 Likes

Only via OB, so coming in early in the path :thup:

I see a lot of complaints about the price of the Heat. Come on, guys.
Firstly, we haven’t even seen what its full capabilities are yet, so that is jumping the gun a bit. Perhaps even moreso though, let’s not forget that Elektron boxes quite often have tricks hidden up their sleeves. The A4 was originally sold with no access to the +Drive, and in fact no one even knew it was in there until Elektron later announced it and then made it accessible via an update. I don’t think we knew it had a sound card either, initially. Similarly, Overbridge was planned for well in advance, and the Analog boxes were all designed with this in mind from the start, even though Elektron wouldn’t be disclosing that new ‘feature’ until later. So, all that to say that there is a good possibility that this box may have a trick or two of its own, some dormant feature or hidden strength, that will come to light sooner or later.

But, even as it stands, the Analog Heat looks to be a very well designed and powerful machine. I’ll be getting at least one. Well done, and thank you, Elektron crew.

5 Likes

Its just not a very exciting product for many of us, were not that interested in it. Its just a bit “Meh” after all the waiting and hype.

3 Likes

The app is really nice and very easy to interact with. Once you have access to IT, the front panel actually becomes a lot more accessible, too, because you know the algorithm parameters and what order they come in, etc… Just like with an Elektron product, there’s a period of adapting to the interface, but once you do, I find it really inspiring.

I use my H9 (Max; not sure how I would feel assembling the algorithms piecemeal), and I use it for bass, guitar, synth (drums, vocals, etc.). It can be a touch clinical in some settings, but it is far, far more versatile than any other piece of gear I have. Also, the algorithms Eventide has introduced since the release of the H9 have all been exceptional (Crushstation is great for nasty fuzzes, and Eq-Comp is a superb compressor/sound sweetener, Space-time is just super useful for ambience). I probably prefer it least with guitar, though; I’d suggest trying it with a bass–if for no other reason than the attack transients are, to me, much more “synth like”-- (or a synth) to really get its effect.

Just to add some of my own cents on something I do have thoughts on. I have no real thoughts on the AH. It’s fine; it’s not for me.

This is about as close to what I was looking for about two months ago as you can get. Basically a versatile subtle to extreme stereo distortion/saturation/warmer with some filtering - a sort of affordable live orientated alternative to Thermionic Culture Vulture/Vertigo Mix Satellite to stick at various points in the chain for live jams. There really aren’t that many affordable stereo distortions out there so went for Strymon Deco and double moog drive. Anyway, spent my money for now but I like distortion so will probably get one later down the line along with Boum when it comes out.

Yer it seems to be this exactly as we have said, just want more info on the digital i/o power :slight_smile:

It’s a pretty exciting product for me!

true and true. but even with the weak resonance the OTO ends up being used the most here as it is so warm and creamy.

I feel a bit disappointed after the long tease.

I have so many high end distortion pedals that this won’t be on my list

It does a nice job with the 303 in classic distortion and crunch really gets the acid 2 tear apart,(really like this) of course you could just get a distortion pedal for your 303 and be off a bit cheaper

OK folks, here’s my prediction. You heard it here first:

AH is first in a multiple box release. The shape, design and function all point to this. It would explain why it seems so underwhelming for many of us. There’s more to come.

There will be more in this line.

2 Likes

damnnn. my initial reaction was that this was boring, but after playing around with the interactive thing and listening to the demos, i love the way this thing sounds, especially on drums. i’ve sold my other elektron boxes and gone back to the computer, but i’ve been wanting an analog processor like this. seems like the filter and EQ really let you get a lot of mileage out of the distortion textures

1 Like