Analog Heat Overbridge Problems

Good Morning

I’ve just purchased the Analog Heat mk2. I’m having some real issues and was hoping to get some assistance if possible.

My main issue seems to be running the Overbridge software on Live 11 . I’m using a macbook ( os 10.14.6) and have updated the AH to the latest firmware through the C6 tool. Ive read the manual and have done a factory reset , changed the usb port I’m plugging the AH into it , but the issue unfortunately persists.

So here it goes;

The AH and Overbridge seemingly works at the start of my session. However, I find that if i turn a knob on the device ( sometimes the drive or dry/ wet level knob, for instance) the audio ceases to output from the device. I can still see the audio waveform coming into the Overbridge plug in and I can also see the corresponding parameter move on the plug in when I twist a knob on the device.

It just seemingly randomly mutes the output . If i quit Live and reopen I get similar results. It works for a little while ( as expected ) and then ceases to output sound. I’ve tried adjusting the buffer settings in the Overbridge control panel (to no avail.)

Has anyone here dealt with similar issues? Could you perhaps offer a solution as I’m awaiting a reply from the Elektron tech support team.

I really want to like this device and I do on paper but so far it has been really frustrating…

Thanks in advance

1 Like

I’m experiencing the same issue with AHMk2 on Windows 10 and also my new Macbook pro (apple silicon). It appears to be similar symptoms, but I’ve noticed it cuts out when the output spikes above a threshold. I logged the issue on the the apple silicon thread too. It’s inconsistent and I can’t easily reproduce the issue.

I’m regularly encountering the same issue on a late 2018 MacBook Pro with Mojave installed. 2nd from latest version of Overbridge, but latest OS installed on all (4) OB enabled Elektron machines, Digitone, RYTM MKII, A4 MKII and Heat MKII. The Heat remains the only device with this issue.

The new AH OS has been terrible for my Unit. The AH freezes all the time when using OB. That’s why I came back to the previous OS. It’s way more stable.

Edit : I have to say, though, that all my other OB Devices have no issues and OB is very stable and tight in the way I’m using it.

I had a number of issues with Heat and Overbridge. I’m tech savvy and studio savvy… but I’ve totally given up on Overbridge. It’s unusable.

Sorry to hear you’re having these problems. Unfortunately OB can suck away at your time, creativity, patience and mood… :man_shrugging:t3: The overbridge promises / failures / ridiculously delayed rollout / reliability problems etc… It’s a total ****show. And for anyone who does have it working and relies on it, they end up frozen not being able to upgrade anything for fear of it stopping working.

There have been plenty of hysterics in other threads recently about new investment and management of Elektron - but honestly, it’s desperately needed to improve areas like this.

2 Likes

I hate to like your post, but it’s absolutely accurate. Damn did I ever waste time waiting around for Overbridge to work well. Thankfully the only thing I really care about at this point is making good music.

We can’t risk losing focus every session to worry about or stop and fix software complications, need to finally throw in that Overbridge towel. It’s looking like I will need to go for that mixer and/or audio interface upgrade after all. Cheers!

1 Like

Same. I was looking forward to using it as a send in Ableton but couldn’t get it to work. Same problem, signal is visible but there is no sound.

I’ve tried OB a few times and never once had a nice fluid experience, contrary to others loving reviews on here. It’s a shame, especially with Heat.

Exactly this. It needs to just work, simply, flawlessly - I’m a professional, with deadlines and time at a premium.

If it’s possible, a workaround is to use the AH as an External Audio Effect (without OB).

Yeah, I’ve used it that way plenty. It’s currently sat to one side whilst I get used to the Acidbox 3 and using some other distortion methods with 4track etc. If I miss it in the next month then I’ll keep it, but if not, I’ll sell. Overbridge could have made it a proper keeper.

Another user who I bought a Heat MKII from advised me there was a problem with using Jump mode for knob changes and to only use the other knob mode (can’t remember its name) until a bug fix is released - there’s a thread for it somewhere. Anyway, I thought I’d mention it here as the trigger for losing connection seems to be moving a knob.

1 Like

It’s called Catch Mode.

1 Like

Thank you all for these replies. They are much appreciated .
I’d hope that together we might be able to either find a solution or perhaps encourage Elektron to release a firmware that is more stable.

I’ve narrowed down the issue to instances when I’m actually touching the unit .
Craig your reply about catch vs jump mode was insightful. Although switching between modes hasn’t solved the issue for me. It did lead me down a trial where I made an audio effect rack in Live and used Macros to control the parameters of the Analog heat Plug in ( instead of actually twisting knobs on the device itself.)
Surprisingly enough the Heat has passed audio through all day and I’ve been able to explore the unit a bit ( in a “hands off” way.)

I’m on the fence about returning the unit at this point. Although I do enjoy what it does/ can do to my sounds , I feel that I might be able to achieve fairly similar results in the box ( for significantly less money) . I have about a week left to demo it more before the return period ends at my local shop.
I will report back / update if I find any new info about the issue.

Thanks again everyone !

1 Like

Just reviving this thread to say that controlling my heat exclusively from ableton appears to have also fixed my dropouts…for now lol

Was just about to make a thread about exactly this issue.

I got a Heat MKII yesterday and this makes it unable to work as advertised and for my intended workflow. I love the device but I need to be able to turn knobs on it, that’s the point of a hardware device to me, tactile sound searching.

I’ve tried both of the knob modes and both have the same issue.

Will have to return it if can’t find a workaround.

I got My Heat MK2 in May and had the exact same issue consistently (Macbook Pro 2019, FL Studio, Maschine 2, Reason 11, Logic Pro 11.5, Ableton Live 11). Since latest Overbridge update it hasn’t happened once, solid as rock.

Well that is good to hear. What version are you on? I’m on 2.0.60.2.

I also have a 2019 MBP so should be quite similar. Do you have it connected directly to the MBP or have any sort of hub? Seeing as it needs to go from USB A to USB C?

I have an Epico USB-C hub with 3 USB-A used to connect DT, DN and AH with their original cables.

Hello. First post. I’d just like to pile on here with others who are frustrated with Overbridge and AHmk2. I have the same issue as all these reports. I really wish we could get an update to fix this.
Im on the latest 1.21, Mojave 10.4.6.

Recently installed Overbridge. (Mac mini M1. MacOS 11.5.2)

Opened DAW (Logic and Reason) and Heat’s plug was not available. Other plugins for other Electron boxes were. The Heat standalone is installed and opens.

Is this a known problem?