Analog Heat+FX gain staging in overbridge

HI everyone!

I got an AH+FX, started experimenting with using it in overbridge.

When in overbridge mode, the input sensitivity menu on the AH is disabled.

I notice that the output of the AH+FX is quite low, even though the input (coming from DAW, logic pro x) is almost peaking (visible in overbridge window). I need to use a lot of makeupgain on the compressor to get normal volume levels.

• what am I doing wrong? or is this normal?
  • is there an overbridge tutorial somewhere for the AH+FX?

Thanks,

Oscar

1 Like

I don’t have a smart answer, other than using some sort of utility gain to bring levels back up if you need to. I reached out to Elektron about this and apparently there’s a new option coming in a forthcoming firmware update that addresses this. But yes, it is normal for it to be quiet, it’s to allow lots of headroom to prevent clipping, but it also isn’t a great workflow option at the same time.

o darn, so its normal and there is no fix? sorry to hear that

Do you know where the change/option is that they added? I guess it’s the “input sensitivity”

I don’t think they’ve released it yet

2 Likes

Hi all,

I’ve had the + FX about a week and I’m having the same problem. I mainly wanted to use the AH as an insert on the master in Logic, but the audio is reduced by about 20dB in all scenarios via Overbridge. Is this level of reduction everyone else’s experience also?
I have around a week before I can’t send it back,

1 Like

i do believe this is normal yes.

no one else chipping in on this?

I’ve been on to Elektron support. A FW update is coming, but no date given. For the time being, I’m adding gain in Logic via the gain utility until then - But even so, it works just fine and is no hassle, FW update on not.
For the record, about 20dB of gain does the trick.

3 Likes

And does the gain plugin not induce static/hiss?

Sorry, I’ve only just seen your question. No, nothing notable on the noise front.

1 Like

what is actually the big benefit of overbridge? why not just use it as send/return from your audio interface (in my case RME). I’m heavily considering it

A fair point. I have the AH+ running on overbridge, but I’ve failed miserably at making everything work on Overbridge (DT, ST, DN), it would work for a while and then fall over in a spectacular fashion.
The AH+ has been fine though so no problems there.
I’ll try everything again at some point, but as you say, sometimes an analog path is the best and this works well for me with the other machines. I was used to this workflow anyway as I have had an Octatrack long before I had the smaller machines, so I was used to tracking everything in individual passes.
I digress however, whichever way you run the AH it’ll work just as well.

1 Like

They really need to get this firmware update out! I’ve contacted support with the same answer, and also no date. In theory, upping the gain after the fact would increase the noise floor, but I haven’t noticed anything in the few times I’ve done this. I would still prefer the gain to be worked into the actual unit itself.

It’s already out with the 1.01 update released a month ago.

1 Like

Yesss! That’s great news. Thank you