Analog Four or Digitone for FM synthesis?

To any A4 owners can these FM sounds on the digitone be replicated on the A4 and is it difficult to do?

Unfortunately, no. A4 can only do very simple FM-like modulation using the low-res digital LFO. Basically, only two op, and not capable of the same crystalline type sounds.

2 Likes

No impossible really.
Some similar sounds I guess but digital FM synthesis is basically polar opposite to standard subtractive analog.
FM on A4 is extremely basic using only an LFO at audio rate for modulation of the oscillators, so not even true 2 op FM.
Digitone true 4 op FM, opening up a different universe of sounds to the A4

2 Likes

I don’t know if it would be possible- but perhaps in the same way that you can join voices together to a singular unison voice, perhaps they might release an update that would allow you to use multiple voices to arrange a more in-depth FM emulation on the A4?

I didn’t think so I’m trying to make a decision on which one to purchase the A4mk2 or the digitone they both sound sooooooo good.

2 Likes

Get the Digitone

4 Likes

Why?

Lol. I know but sooooo does the A4 and I’m not getting both.

Because analog is boring

5 Likes

If it’s like the Digitakt then Elektron have gone above and beyond to make the instrument instantly thrilling, satisfying and magnetic. The layout of the sequencer is easier to figure out where to put trigs and even more useful if you want to do odd times.

Not only that, but FM synthesis has SUCH a wide range of sonic capability. The A4(coming from a mk1 perspective) takes a lot of work before you’re able to get to satisfaction with. The control all feature is intuitive and immediate without needing to go out of your way to try and devise macros to use.

Also, the DN is cheaper :slight_smile:

Also, you can have money left over from what you would have spent on the A4mk2 and get either a mk1 or a DT :slight_smile:

1 Like

I get you I have the digitakt and I really like the workflow and I can see the same approach with the DN

I agree with you about the dt I have one and I like the easy workflow and the unexpected. That is the only piece I have from electron so the A4 would be new territory for me. Your experience is very helpful in making my decision I have also thought about a used AK1 but I would prefer the A4mk2 thanks.

I’d definitely go with the DN if the DT is your only Elektron experience- after playing with the DT for so long and then returning to the AR that 1x16 sequencer was like culture shock.

2x8 is tops!

That being said- some “FM” sounds on the A4 can go wild. While you can’t do proper FM with it- you can route that powerful LFO forces to near any parameter and get some wild FX. Also, each LFO can have two separate destinations.

There’s a dedicated FX track on the A4 which is convenient for p-locking different settings, and that FX track has its own LFOs with two different destinations per.

The A4 has its own little keyboard on it so you can immediately push a note and lay it on the sequencer(though, if you have a DT you could just use that keyboard to lay notes down on the sequencer- but it’s a thing)

If you have modular, then A4s even more ideal with its cv control capabilities.

Also, the voices can be replaced with the internal feed where the external instrument can run through the filter FX and LFO(I’m kicking myself for not using the FM LFO with an osc to do a mono cross synthesis thing)

That and the sound is all I can testify to.

If you don’t have cv instruments- then the selling point for external instrument interactivity goes to the DN.

A con for the A4, though- is that it’s structure doesn’t mesh well with external midi. If a track receives a foreign midi signal it will just separate itself from its own sequencer and not respond to anything plugged in(probably because it’s engine is on a different method than midi- which is why the machine doesn’t send midi) that’s as balanced as I can give

2 Likes

mmm… pretty sure on the A4 you can’t apply the LFO FM onto an external oscillator (from the inputs). Only available on the internal oscillators I think?
Haven’t had one for ages so could be wrong, but that’s how I remember it I think

You can apply the LFO to any parameter on that track- if you switch the FX input level off and replace the waveform with the track in option, you can leave the second OSC on and get a dual input going. Then alternate the levels of each with the same LFO

I have no modular and I agree with you about I already own the DT so the DN would be a good choice. What gets to me is before Namm I was sold on getting the A4mk2 but of course elektron comes out with this new great product and sways my decision. Oh well I get to save some funds and elektron make less off of me bonus.Lol

1 Like

I can safely say that whatever you choose to get, you’ll be extremely happy with! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agree thanks man!:slightly_smiling_face:

The A4 MK2 shouldn’t scare you. My first Elektron box was also the DT and just now I got the A4 MK2. I don’t find it hard to use, it’s very intuitive and inspiring. A lot of things which I learned with the DT apply to the A4 and vice versa. I can already make music with it and I haven’t even touched the manual yet.

Regarding your decision between A4 and DN, I don’t think that they fit in the same category so can’t really be compared. I don’t know about the rest of your setup but mine didn’t have a “traditional subtractive” synth. So I picked the A4 to learn synthesis and because its flexibility is second to none. It’s the most inspiring instrument I’ve ever used. And it sounds amazing too, it has a huge sonic palette which I didn’t expect.

The DN is definitely on my radar and I might add it to my setup later this year. I’d suggest you to watch some YouTube vids of the A4 and if you get inspired like I did go for it, and maybe add a DN sometime later to compliment it.

3 Likes
2 Likes