Analog Four MK1 - Meh....?

I’ve been a long time Elektron user and own an MD, Syntakt, MnM. I have many other Analog synths in the studio and got the Analog 4 mk1 about a week ago… have been running it through its paces… modulations, p-locks, layering sounds, cross modulating. I’m feeling like it’s kind of harsh sounding for an analog synth. And the programming is a bit tedious. I think the reverb sounds great.

I’ve tried to coax some cool sounds out of it but I feel like my Syntakt is better for interesting sound design. Should I spend more time with it, or does anyone else have a similar experience? For me it sounds just OK and I can spend the money on something else.

Couple of tips;

• Drop the osc volume a bit, like 50-70 or so. The filter seems a bit smoother with a less hot signal, may remove some of the harshness you’re feeling. Bump track level to compensate.
  • Modulate the detune parameter, it’s pretty yummy and adds some fatness.
  • Use the default routing PW on the envelope pages. I was actually shocked at how much more “analog” it sounded when the waveform shape drifts a bit on a note being struck.
  • Feedback OSC, it’s an option on page one. This can make some otherworldly sounds. Be a little conservative on its volume, and drop your resonance on the filters a little else it blows up quickly. Modulate the level of the feedback OSC and you’ll get some creaky, evil, ethereal or dolphin sounds depending on your other settings. Maybe all of them at the same time.
  • Some people, not myself personally, ignore filter one and use filter 2 on LP as the main filter. It’s more “rolandy” than filter 1 and can produce some nice harmonics . Filter one is a bit less stable and kinda fuzzy/lowfi apparently. I like it, personally!
  • Use the peak mode of filter 2 to pluck out interesting textures at different bandwidths. It’s pretty sexy.
  • NEI routing. Defo explore it, you can make mad polymeters by setting different track lengths, and trigging the envelope on both tracks to add accents that land on different beats.
  • Unison mode. Phat with a capital P.
  • Plug in a Keybed and start fucking with velocity modulations, makes the machine much more expressive. I do adore the minikeys though.
  • Use it for drums, it’s a wicked drum machine. I’ll see if I can find the kick drum pack I found for free on here, they’re some of the best kicks I’ve heard. I think drumma by @darenager and the drumpacks by @taro are solid gold also. Props to the both of you, amazing stuff!
  • Biopads. Just go download the free biopads pack. These are really, really, really good.
  • Parameter slides and note slides. Note slides are weird at first, as they work backwards (put the slide on the note you want to slide TO, not from and the note lengths must overlap, and you need to set the slide time on OSC2 -page2) but when you get them down, oh my. Slick, wiggly solos ahoy.
  • res boost = off tends to make a smoother sound to my ear. Func + OSC 1 should get to the menu.

I can’t make you love it’s sound, unfortunately, but this is a very deep synth. It sounds flat initially on purpose, as it has so many ways to affect the sound that it would be a mushy horrible mess after using 2% of its features I’d think. But I dunno, just my opinion. Let me know if you want an elaboration on any of this!

Oh, and if you have a good compressor, send the signal though it. There are a lot of nice textures generated that a compressor can reveal :).

But, I must stress, do not get bullied into keeping it if you don’t like it. That’s fine, different strokes for different fowks. Think of it less as “tightly controlled prophet 5” and more like a modular rack with 4 assignable tracks. You’ll squeeze weirdness out of this you’ll struggle to find elsewhere, and if you’re like me, you’ll be up late at night brimming with “OH BUT IF I MODULATED THE SOFT SYNC WITH A KEY TRACKED LFO WITH ITS DEPTH SET VIA ENV 2AND FED THAT INTO TRACK 2 WITH A SWEEPING PEAK TRIGGERING IN 7/8 TIME WHILST PUMPING THE OVERDRIVE AS A FUCKED UP SIDE CHAIN…” Well, you’re in the right place, and in good company.

103 Likes

Dude! So many cool tips, thank you!!

4 Likes

excellent tips.

I too would emphasise think of it as a 4 track modular in a box. p-lock & soundlock it till the cows come home.

used as a standard 4 voice analog polysynth it will probably disappoint compared to your sequentials etc.

it’s an incredible modular idm drum/sound machine. like, unreal.
when approached as such it shines imo :partying_face:

6 Likes

Holy crap, that’s a ton of good tips. I’ve used the A4 mk2 a lot already but I have to explore a lot of the things you mentioned. I’ve always ignored the default envelope mappings and haven’t tried disabling resonance boost and ignored NEI conditions even when making ambient tracks. Thanks for the tips =)

7 Likes

Dropping jewels! I find myself starting with the 2nd oscillator nowadays just to make sure I can always have that feedback option on osc 1 always available (I tend to add feedback later in the process). Thank you for the note slide tip, always get turned around and confused on wtf was happening.

2 Likes

I know what you talking about :slight_smile:
…and I have this synth since 2014

Add: @USERNAME you can download the presets I’ve uploaded to the forum files section,

https://www.elektronauts.com/files/531

some very analog sounds for my taste :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Right on! You guys have inspired me to keep digging!

11 Likes

Thanks everyone, you’re all so kind <3. I love this forum, I do not post anywhere else online as I feel a little jaded with all the trolls out there, but this community is fantastic.

Couple of extra tips:

• Unison with “use track sound” is hot AF when you blend the correct sounds together. Let’s you trigger multiple patches on the same note. Basically let’s you design a “top end” and “bottom end” of your synth line without things getting flabby by using the filters correctly on two separate tracks. Or creating a mega texture drone.
  • Don’t sleep on the accent/mute controls. These are really good for live performance. Undocumented, but hold Func whilst in the mute/accent/slide menu and when you press a trig key, every track has the mute/slide/accent applied to those steps. Cool for cutting the last 4 steps of a bar using the mute, adding rhythmic variation, or emphasising different parts of the groove on the fly via accent.
  • AM is a bit odd, tends to work best with a square wave at a much higher, or much lower pitch than the OSC you’re affecting. Also wiggle the PW a bit, it affects the AM tone quite a lot. Oh, and keep the level of the AM modulator on 0, else you’ll hear the molulator which can sometimes mask the AM effect under it.
  • Bend is quite cool. Probably super under looked, I’ve only really used it the past few weeks. OSC2 page, it’s affected by slide time. It will bend TO the note pitch FROM the offset value on the bend parameter over the length of time assigned by the slide parameter. You can get some nice divebomb/whammybar or guitar string style note bends out of it.
  • Go high resonance on filter one, sit it somewhere screamy but not tinny like… 90? Which is somewhere between 1 and 2khz I think, then pull OD down to about 32-45 and you’ll notice the resonance gets choked and the ampliude converted into harmonics, which is effectively what saturation does. Fiddle about, you’ll find your sweet spot. Good for more industrial style stuff.
  • use the FX track. I ignored it mostly until I got an octatrack, then I realised how much power I’d missed out on, as I do a lot of FX sequencing on that. Modulate the delay width by a lot with a random LFO. Modulate the time by a miniscule amount, like 0.01/0.5, makes feel more like an “analog delay”. Be careful when modulating delay feedback though, if you skip to a new track the old setting might stick at a higher value than expected and suddenly blow your eardrums out as your panic. Lock and sequence the reverb to add more boom or space to important elements. Modulate and plock chorus to get to some totally warped, SOPHIE territory.

And @Eaves cheers! You’re a massive inspiration, I love what you do with the A4, I’ve yet to produce anything as tight and slick as your A4 tracks. Nei conditions are one thing, they’re amazing, but I was referencing the NEI OSC option on osc2. You can then run track 1 -> track 2. From there you can apply another layer of distortion, env filtering/amp trigs to generate something that morphs over time. Eg track 1 length @16 steps, track 2 @ 5 steps. Throw a bunch of trigs on track 1, then some on track 2. Track 2 will then pump out additional accents to emphasize track 1 giving a modulated groove. Give it a look, I’d love to see what you can do with it.

43 Likes

The feedback osc combined with some extreme settings on the chorus is really insane sounding. Kinda like some glitchy comb filter stuff. The whole feedback osc concept is pretty out there and unique.

4 Likes

I also like to make some chords out of one track, with sub on 5th set as root and second osc at 3,4, 7, etc.
You can add an extra note (e.g. a bass) with a resonating filter with key tracking at 32.
When you get this right, you can shape powerful chords and leave some room for percussions.

Oh, btw, this synth does some fine percussions.

7 Likes

Just as an analog drum machine alone, it’s a bargain. And then all the rest on top…! I like the description of it as a 4-track modular. While it is not quite as flexible as an actual modular system, there is just so much more flexibility compared to most architectures. It informed my journey into modular, and in turn, that journey made me appreciate the A4mk1 even more.

15 Likes

I’m copying all of these great tips into a notes doc for the A4. Thanks for this!

7 Likes

Get some headphones and take the a4 mk1 to your bedroom then lock yourself in the room until you make a complete track using all the skills in this thread then celebrate with pizza

9 Likes

…it’s getting deeper and deeper the more time u invest in it…like with all elektron gear but especially with the a4…apart from the ot, it’s the most complex one to wrap ur head around…
if u give it more time and really stick to it, i can guarantee u, this machine is a living creature…

on the other hand…seems like u already have enough swedish hw gear…

3 Likes

This should be pinned to the top of the forum.

8 Likes

Nice list! I especially like feedback and neighbor routing, often together. I’m bookmarking it, because there’s some stuff in there I’ve never tried (like biopads).

If trying tips this list doesn’t make one excited about the synth, maybe it’s best to sell it! :wink:

6 Likes

10 Likes

One week for such a deep synth isn’t even scratching the surface. Give it more time and you won’t regret it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Install this:

5 Likes