Analog Four Midi Sequencing

Does anyone know, how I change the Midi Channel for the sequencer track, after I set a track to Send Midi in Note Setup?

Cheers

go to the Global/system midi config and change the midi channels in the appropriate menu - quite intuitive - near settings for sync etc - settings you should familiarise yourself with

just be aware of potential complications with channel duplication if you mess with the auto channel, try to keep it unique

1 Like

Got it. Thank you.

I hooked up my Model D on one track via Channel 10. Sequenced notes are working now, and it could be played via A4-Onboard-Keyboard, too, if I dial the Keyboard Send to “Int+Ext”. So far so good, thanks. :slight_smile:

But: Is there any possibility to play the hooked up model d through my external Keyboard with the A4 as sequencre in between now?

The midi chain is Keyboard –OUT/IN–> A4 –OUT/IN–> Model D.

As long as The Model d was connected on the Midi Through, i could of course play the Model D with the keyboard, because the A4 was throughing the incoming midi data from the keyboard.

But now, when the model D is hooked on A4s Midi out, when I Play the Analog4 via external Keyboard now, it is just playing the A4, but no Midi Notes are forwarded to the Model D hooked up anymore. Even if this Track even the track seq. is “sending midi” now. I have to record a sequence first. Or use the A4 MiniKeyboard cinfigured to ‘Int+Ex’.

Is there any way to be able to liveplay the Model D in this setup with the external Keyvoard, and use the A4 as Sequencer?

Vor do I need a midimerge? DT and OT were able to do that.

2 Likes

Not currently, but I logged this as a bug. The a4 needs to pass midi notes from midi in on the auto channel to the midi out for the selected track. It does not currently do that.

3 Likes

Right thanks, so i will wait for a patch before i buy midi mergers.

Maybe? Could be a long time, and electron does not share status or their evaluation of issues we submit, we have no idea if they think this is something they want to fix.

It’s frustrating because what I really want to do is use a keyboard synth to play notes into the A4 and record into the sequencer on any of the four synth tracks AND the keyboard, AND and additional rackmount synth. I use Ableton to mediate this currently which is fine but it would be cool to have an all hardware jam setup.

1 Like

on the contrary, they do not believe it needs fixing, it’s not considered a bug, they know about this - i find it perplexing that there’s a great big hole in the end-user’s experience of using an AutoChannel’d Ext Keyboard to program MIDI but there will be more to this than we can see - however, you can submit a feature request - i.e. make AutoChannel External Control behave exactly (as you would want/expect) as on-board keys do when using the new MIDI stuff - it’s quite compromised without this imho

2 Likes

wait so I ordered the analog four and also want to sequence an external synth with it.

so you are saying that I cant connect a midi keyboard (keystep) to the A4, play a sequence (record it in A4 sequencer) and use this sequence to control an outboard synth? (midi out of a4 to the synth)?

1 Like

The A4 doesn’t forward incoming MIDI notes to it’s MIDI out. So you can’t sequence another synth live through the A4 (MIDI IN -> MIDI OUT). Recorded sequences however can be sent to MIDI out and the onboard mini keyboard also directly sends notes to MIDI out.

(see below)

@tnussb @tendingtropic

Added the functionality that the tracks set to SEND MIDI now also forwards the incoming data from external MIDI controllers to the MIDI OUT port for control of an external device

You need to use Auto Channel.

4 Likes

That’s correct, the latest release fixes this. The only slightly awkward thing about my setup is one of the synths is also my controller so I need to set local off ( and remember that’s what I did )

1 Like

Been meaning to file a bug report on this, but I think there’s still a serious quirk: if I play one note, then simultaneously play another, then release the second one, I get a note off for the second off but another note on for the first note. And of course only one note off upon releasing the first note.
So if I’m sequencing a polyphonic synth that can play multiple of the same note, I get a hanging note if I play multiple notes at once.

Perhaps it’s a result of the A4 being fundamentally a monophonic sequencer. (where polyphony on one track is essentially just a p-lock on a single note). It wants to return to the first note on the release of the second, so it sends another note. But in any case, it’s sending more note ons than note offs, which seems wrong in any book.

1 Like

So basically, when you release the second note, holding the first key, the first note is being re triggerd? Like we expect from monosyh?
This happens using small a4 keyboard , or when playing external synth using midi controller keyboard going trough a4 to midi out?
Second scenario is what i have been doing, and everything is acting as expected with my poly . I will try this with onboard keyboard letter. But i don’t recall ever experiencing something like that.
It migjt be due to the fact that my a4 is setup to POLYmod…

External keyboard. Everything works fine with the built in one.

You’re right, it could be poly vs mono mode. haven’t tried that.
Still, it doesn’t really make sense for it to re-trigger MIDI in mono mode. If you were controlling another mono synth over midi, most likely it would be able to do the desired re-trigger behavior, if the A4 just thru-put what you played on the keyboard.