Sending USB MIDI in to external devices (thru) possible?

I’ve been using my Octatrack to sequence MIDI but decided to play around with the A4’s MIDI sequencing. I don’t use p-locks/cc’s (I’m hooking it up to a Behringer D and Pro One and you can’t control much on them via MIDI) and I really prefer the A4’s keyboard/buttons for MIDI sequencing. Also it’s nice to clear the Octatrack up and not keep switching between sample/MIDI modes.

It’s working really well so far, I do a mix of sequencing from my PC (Reaper) and the devices, MIDI to A4 over its USB port. I can control the external devices from the A4’s sequencer and keyboard but I can’t pass MIDI from the PC (where my MIDI keyboards are connected) to the devices connected to the A4. Is this possible?

The USB midi bus and the DIN bus are not connected on any Elektrons. They don’t operate like a dedicated Midi interface would. It’s therefore not possible

1 Like

Thanks for confirming, thought that might be the case.

There’s always something standing in the way of the perfect setup isn’t there? :wink:

1 Like

If I connected to the MIDI in instead would that pass thru to the external devices?

Just tried using the MIDI in port and still doesn’t seem to be passing it thru :frowning: So no way to get MIDI thru or am I missing a setting somewhere?

Any midi coming to the DIN in should be appearing at Thru.

The only way to disable that is if the Thru has been converted from Midi to a Din Sync 24/48

1 Like

Sorry I confused the issue by mentioning Thru. MIDI thru isn’t connected (because I’m using the A4 to sequence the external synths and I’m assuming there’s no way to send the A4’s MIDI output to the thru port).

I want to play the devices connected to the MIDI Out of the A4 using a keyboard connected to the A4’s MIDI in. Do you know if there’s any way to do that?

you’d need to merge the A4 out with the keys out or merge the a4 out with teh a4 thru

that way the merged signal will have both the A4 sequenced data and the external keyboard data

there’s no way to do this internally

maybe look at your long term midi needs before buying something - it may make more sense to pick up something more flexible than just a MIDI merge

there are tonnes of topics with suggestions for merges / thrus / processors / matrixes to do an assortment of midi plumbing tasks

you could also potentially soft merge in a computer

2 Likes

Ok, thanks for confirming.

Looks like merging out and thru would be the way to go, as much as that would sting to have to get a specific box/wires/power for (I’ve hit the limit of MIDI devices/messing around with setup so this would be the last thing to change and I’m not planning on buying any more synths).

I might spend a bit of time sequencing via the A4 without being able to send direct before deciding. If it’s fun then I’ll get a box, otherwise I may end up admitting defeat and going back to the Octa MIDI sequencing or leaning more on the Keysteps. Just seemed like such a neat setup to run them through the A4 for playing and sequencing.

1 Like

Looks like this functionality has just been added to the latest update to the A4. Although only for the tracks assigned to external MIDI channels. Great news! I’ll try it out.

2 Likes

common sense has prevailed, its makes huge difference - they listen :wink:

2 Likes

I just remembered this was added. Godsend for my setup.

Added the functionality that the tracks set to SEND MIDI now also forwards the incoming data from external MIDI controllers to the MIDI OUT port for control of an external device.

Much appreciated!

" Added the functionality that the tracks set to SEND MIDI now also forwards the incoming data from external MIDI controllers to the MIDI OUT port for control of an external device."

Hi , is this working for anyone ?
i have key step connected to analog four midi in, there is no midi notes coming out of midi out, just midi thru. maybe i am doing something wrong?

i’m not on the device, but recall that it was fixed … i would suggest using the Auto Channel for this process, not the track channel

KS > AF > Device

set AF to sequence Device (and play direct from mini keys) then using the KS on teh A4’s Auto Channel should act like the internal keys and allow recording and direct triggering of the Device - it was only this last bit that was not working before

2 Likes

Yeah, it works using Auto Channel @avantronica . I’m using the CV TRACK sending on Ch. 7 (whichever channel you need), Auto Ch. set to 7 and it works.

You probably won’t have a reason to share the Auto channel (7) and outgoing channel (7) the way I do, but in my current setup all other channels are spoken for.

One thing to note, is that anytime you make a change in MIDI SETTINGS, the track’s midi out in the NOTE menu gets deselected, so you’ll have to check the box again.

Do you have KEYBOARD DESTINATION set to INT-EXT @mess5?

3 Likes

Thanks guys, it is working like you said.
MIDI OUT channel has to be set on AutoChannel.

Tr.channel of the track you whanna record to, set to the midi ch. same as the device you are sending midi notes to.

Say tr 1 ch. 1 -> synth 1 ch 1
tr 2 ch. 2-> synth 2 ch 2

Now, when ever you choose any of this tracks, the intendent synth will receive MIDI coming to A4 MIDI IN.

Just select the track and that is it! And if you record something in to sequencer, it will get played also by that synth.
Great job Elektron! This is what i call attention to detail :v::muscle:

4 Likes