Analog Four/Keys OS 1.50A: bug reports

The step rec continues to put notes in longer than the set LEN amount,
would be cool if it repeated around only in the available steps

Not sure if this was happening before the update, but, I grabbed a random factory pattern, (tried others as well, all from the new patterns added in the update) and assigned all 10 performance marcos to the perf. knob, and if i turned it up to max and back down, the changes would lag terribly. If i did a quick sweep, it would literally take about 3 seconds to go all the way to max and back down. This behaviour seemed to kick in after I assigned about 5-6 macros to the knob. Anyone ever experience this?

I’ve found a weird Performance bug since updating: In Perf Config I can assign a parameter to T1 but the four other parameters do nothing - when I assign something like freq mod, nothing - only T1 actually make a difference to the sound. Can anyone else confirm or deny this? It’s driving me nuts

Figured it out, I must’ve somehow clicked the knobs to select other tracks within Perf Setup. Feel foolish.

3 Likes

Using a Analog Keys. Song mode isn’t working right, it will not progress to the next line, simply stops playing after the first line. (note: the song I had programmed prior to the update still works, but automating a new song does not work, could possible be user error, as I mostly just change between patterns manually and this is literally only the second time I have attempted to automate an entire song progression)

Also had a couple issues in a new project I made for using it as a fx unit for external inputs. Could not route the external inputs to the filters at all, and yes I do know you need to change the oscillator waveform to external input for some bizarre reason. Whatever that means. I can still run the external inputs through the FX engine but it would be nice to have some filters too.
Kit loading between different patterns and such works fine on pretty much everything, but for some reason on the project I made specifically for external input processing I have to load the kits twice for it to recall.

Have you layed down one or more trigs? Because otherwise you wouldn’t hear anything (just like you won’t hear an internal oscillator without trigs).

When using the external inputs as oscillators, it doesn’t behave like a simple fx unit anymore, but you can (and need to) utilize all synthesis features (envelopes, filters, lfos and all the good stuff) to shape the incoming signals.

There is nothing bizarre about that. The incoming signal just becomes your very own oscillator waveform.

1 Like

I figured if I just held down a note on the keyboard it would work as well, but it didn’t. I’m 92.3 percent sure I tried running a sequence with trigs set up too. I just wanted to experiment with running it through the filters, and also maybe modulating those filters with lfo’s and envelopes… but couldn’t get it to work. Literally cannot think of any reason why I couldn’t.

I say bizarre because I find it a little silly that you have to route the external input as a oscillator, as I don’t think any of the oscillator parameters will have any effect on the sound of the incoming signal apart from the volume control. I guess since the oscillators and filters are analog that’s literally just the only way to get the external input signals to the filters. I haven’t really worked with it in this way before, but if the oscillator parameters did affect the external sounds, I’m pretty sure it would come very close to being a vocoder. which would be dope, but also kinda overboard, as this synth probably has more features than a fighter jet (totes not a joke)

Of course parameters which change directly the waveform of the oscillator itself (PWM, pitch, etc.pp.) won’t do anything to the incoming signal, but, for example, AM1/2 have an effect (and you can also add sub oscillators).

It’s not really due to its analog nature, but due to its design, how external signals can be routed through the device. Routing it directly to the FX and mixer stage is a logical decision, because the FX and mixer stage is a separate block not linked to a single voice.

The other logical decision is routing it through a complete voice with AM possibilities at the OSC stage, filters and envelopes afterwards.

IMHO it would be “silly” to route it just to one of the filters of a voice, because than the filter also needs to function as a mixer. Doing this for each filter and for all the different stages would require much more connections and hardware for no obvious benefits.

There is a setup example in the manual (15.3 ANALOG FOUR MKII AS A FILTER BANK) which explains all the necessary steps to get it working.

(and it still works with 1.50A)

1 Like

One day I’m sure I will figure out how to route a audio signal through a envelope after the filter stage. BUT… I’m trying to route it to both filters of a voice. In certain scenarios it would be neat to send, let us say, oscillator 1 to filter 2 and oscillator 2 to filter 1, but that would be difficult to do in a analog synth and the usefulness of that possibility is really not that big of a deal, especially since if I wanted to do that very specific thing I could just use my VA synth, but in reality the Analog Keys has a much better sound quality, so that outweighs the minor benefits in sound capabilities my VA synth has in certain areas.

AM modulation with external inputs certainly sounds fun, wish I could try it. but yeah. Like I said, tried setting the oscillators to be external inputs, held down keys, ran a sequence, no sound. Might be a issue exclusive to the analog keys and not the analog four MKII. No idea. I’ll mess around with it more later to see if I can get it to work.

A friend of mine found that in pitch bend modulation setup, the display of the pitch amount on the left was bugged.
The level is set to -64 and doesn’t move with the pitch bend, while the pitch bend is perfectly audible.
I confirmed this bug with my own A4 mk2.

Do you too?

Other thing: I just can’t seem to have AM to work.
When AM1 is on, I understand OSC2 should affect OSC1 amplitude, whatever the volume on OSC2 is. At least that’s how it used to work. Now both AM seem to be off.

Do you confirm too?

1 Like

Yes, I can confirm that, in pitch bend setup, the pitch bend meter on the left, starts out at -64.
It will reset to -64 on all tracks after each reboot. This happens on both MK1 and MK2.

AM is working fine.
The easiest way to tell is by starting with the INIT patch and doing the following:

1. OSC2 (common page) - AM1 = ON
  2. Sweep the pitch of OSC2 up and down; also, modify the pulse width

The changes can be immediately heard.

2 Likes

just checked AM and it is working for me, maybe you just need to move the pulse width a bit

While we’re at it…

A4 MK1:
The display of “full-range” controls is clipped on the negative side.
For example, see the DEP parameter for LFO1: the control is supposed to go from “-128” to “127,” but the third digit will get cut off, resulting in a display of “-12” when it reaches its negative max.
This happens to the envelopes and LFOs: anything along that right side of the screen.

Yep, was brought up in 1.40A thread too.

Ah, ok. I thought it must’ve been brought up at some point.

mine A4 surely messes up the polyphony and the lfo.

Bug, Analog Keys: On the CV track when I try to access the CV settings of the „B“ slot it brings me to the „A“ slot when pressing shift+button.
I can only access the settings by going to the „A“ slot and then pressing the button for CV „B“ without pressing shift (already in the secondary function submenu)

1 Like

it’s not a bug, but it absolutely bugs me too (frequently), it’s been that way since the beginning - it’s very annoying as a user interface - you’re only meant to use fn+ once but it’s counter intuitive - i’d be interested to hear what they say if you report

1 Like

can someone confirm that trigless trigs won‘t affect anything when holding down notes either with the mini keys or anything like a midi keyboard controlling the voices externally!?

i just want to play poly chords but having the track(s) modulating just some parameter changes…not to complicated I guess.

someone? :cowboy_hat_face:

it’s not supposed to work, so is not considered a bug.
but there are some interesting workarounds…