Analog Drive

…i don’t like that. looks cheap.

they would be the coolest brand if they had decided to put a midi/footcontroller/switch inside the Analog Heat box.

like EHX does with the 45000 looper.

I love that they’re giving us options though. I’m glad that the AH is a tabletop unit and this is a guitar/(bass?) pedal. I really liked spacetravelmadeeasy’s mockup, but I’d never buy a stompbox that had buttons like that and a screen that big. I’d be afraid of damaging it with my stomps. Proper tabletop for that use, proper stompbox for stomping.

Here’s my off the cuff response (I’ve read about half the above thread but not all of it):

Synth players are generally infatuated with vintage gear or gear that emulates vintage gear (thus the Roland Boutique series; the Moog mystique commanding higher prices, the Korg Arp sub-brand, etc…).

Guitar players are like this times five. Everything is about emulating vintage amps, or even, these days, vintage pedals (all the various mini Fuzz Faces comes to mind… heck I own two of them!).

This is where this interesting unit may have a hard time finding an audience with guitar players – the first impression (which is admittedly all I have at this point) is of generic distortion types, whereas most of the distortion boxes that entice are playing on my fetish for authentic historical amp emulations. E.g, the Bogner La Grange, which is not far removed in price from the new Elektron pedal ($250ish), emulates in great detail an overdriven Marshall amp, down to the nuance of a “browned out” amp running on lower-than-expected electrical voltage (this technique was made famous by Eddie Van Halen). While it doesn’t have 8 flavors of distortion, it actually provides far more sounds than that if you do that math on all the various switches and settings on that particular stomp box.

This isn’t to say that the Analog Drive isn’t as good or better – it’s just selling itself in a manner to guitarists that is blind to the sub-culture of guitar-distortion aficionados. I saw someone earlier in the thread ask, “So, do they have a guitar player on staff now?” and I think the answer is probably “no”.

EDIT: the best thing the Analog Drive has going for it are the 100 user presets… I personally have never seen an analog distortion pedal with presets, so this could be a great selling point for gigging musicians who want a bunch of specific sounds at the ready. I haven’t ever thought of distortion in that way – presets – so it’s a bit of a paradigm shift that I’m not sure works for me.

If you look in the manual or the online examples, several of the distortion types in the Analog Drive are mentioned as mimicking vintage equipment. “famous green pedal” etc.

from a marketing perspective they need to be a little more explicit – the names of the distortions are like a parody of bad guitar marketing – why not call it “Green” distortion instead of “Mid Drive” (just guessing)?

Just names, doesn’t really matter right? I was pretty hyped on this yesterday. Presets and 8 stomps in one box. Less so today tho. Like a few others have mentioned, it’s basically just another distortion box. Which is cool but I’m OK with what I have for now. I’d def consider this if I was genuinely in the market for a distortion pedal tho and not being motivated primarily by GAS. Obvs depending on how it sounds/reviews. Hearing thaf it doesn’t take synth level input is a shame tho…

You should try the Minifoogers. The MF Drive is beauty and anger in one tweakable package.

1 Like

Say what you want, this pedal is a beauty !!
:cb: :heart_eyes: :cb:

Bassists most wanted Wet/Dry button is missing, yet…
A pity.

like this. put the controller on the floor and the unit to your desk. IDK.

yeap, goes well acid bassline stuff :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi alfred, I have a stereo rat pedal and never had any good results using it for synth/drums. So with your experience, sounds like maybe I never will get anything close to what the AH does?

FS/FT (aus) Deucetone Rat stereo dist.

Did you reamp your signal before feeding the guitar pedal?

Not sure what you mean, but for example, Machinedrum straight into rat.so prob not.
The other issue is the freq responce, maybe I’ll have another play.
TBH I dont know why I got it (GAS) but hearing the AH results (the compression effect) sounds amazing.
Sorry getting of the topic a bit.

You need something like a radial reamp jcr. Look it up. The signal guitar pedals expect have different electrical properties than what synths put out.

1 Like

Is it to do with impedance ? Yes it is (answered my own question).
I think I have a stereo line to mic level converter, wonder if that would help.

Edit: Its an unbal to bal line driver, so no :frowning: But I did find an old TOA line trans unit which says input 600 ohm, output 5k. But I only have one, I’ll try it with the Moogerfooger.

Its all making sense now, I have a Moog LPF (mf-101) and the input level was always too high (the factory tint settings are always too high). It also has a drive circuit but the signal clips too easy.

So to get back on topic, would you need a reamp for the Analog Drive if you wanted to put line level into it I wonder ?

Yes, you could use it with any guitar pedal though! Or simply use it lie it was originally intended… run your original guitar signal through an amp again :smiley:

Analog Heat: signed!
Analog Drive: signed!

Next on the Wish List: Multi-Effect Box with multiple Channel OB support and - finally the Elektron Sequencer again :slight_smile: could be more pricey, i would buy it!

1 Like

Has anyone tried this with any synths?

I have the Heat and it is incredible at transforming staid kick drum patterns into something else entirely.

Nowt reviews or YT clips!

Do we know if anyone has even bought one?