Analog Drive Price Drop

I’ve never owned a guitar pedal before so I’m unsure about cable type. I’m using an OT MKII which currently has all balanced cables. Do I need to use a regular guitar cable to go to and from the Analog Drive, instead?

you need to change that, my friend! guitar pedals are awesome! :metal:

you can use unbalanced or balanced, it doesn’t matter. balanced is more beneficial when you’ve got lots of cables, long cable runs, etc. if you’re keeping it nearby you, either is fine. but remember, it’s mono, so you’ll need to pan things accordingly in your OT in/out setup.

1 Like

Haha, yeah. I grew up a drummer and got into samplers so it never happened until now, for some reason. Anyway, thanks! Looking forward to setting this up.

1 Like

same. nobody’s perfect :rofl:

2 Likes

Just got the Analog Drive today. Wow, this pedal sounds great. There’s definitely a few circuits that are a little too noisy for what I’m using them for (recording sub mixes through the pedal to glue some sources together with additional harmonics) but there 4 or 5 I liked sound fantastic. $99 is a steal.

3 Likes

Received mine on the 24th with a broken circuit selector knob, still waiting on elektron/sweetwater to get back to me. Haven’t even plugged it in yet… :expressionless:

Anyone know what kind of knob it is and where I can get a similar replacement?

1 Like

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AnalogDrive--elektron-analog-drive-multi-circuit-analog-distortion-pedal?cond=AnalogDrived1

“only 1 left” (demo)

2 Likes

Argh. I really wish this had come at a better time to spend frivolously on my studio…

3 Likes

It’s certainly worth it.

I run my Drumatix through mine and it just turns this great little electro beatbox into a techno monster with great immediacy. The low EQ band is perfect for kicks. I roll with it all the way boosted, which also makes full cut on that band feel like a high-pass filter.

The Clean Boost circuit is the only one I use, but I drive the input pretty hard and always experiment with the gain knob, so that gives it a wide range.
The other circuits are sledge hammers, for my uses. But since the Clean Boost circuit can get dirtier (and less dark) than my Moog Minifooger Boost, and the EQ is so musical, it makes up for not using the other circuits. I reckon with a proper dry/wet box or analog mixer aux setup, I’d get more use out of running the heavier circuits in parallel with the dry signal.

7 Likes

I’m trying to be content with the Heat, but it kinda lives on the end of my Haken Continuum. This is sooo cheap that I am having a hard time resisting, despite the fact that I am currently making a concentrated effort to both reduce the redundancies in the studio and to build up funds in the event that a repair I am having done winds up being quite costly. :frowning:

2 Likes

You don’t need it. 16+ and the heat is a deadly combination already. You don’t need to have your peaks hit the amp on the ensoniq just use the gain on the heat instead and you have some nice tones in the end

1 Like

I don’t need anyting. :blush: But I keep the Heat patched into one of my patch bays (with the Continuum normalled into it) and that means it’s pretty much stationary. I wouldn’t mind something that could be moved with ease around the room and plopped onto anything that might benefit from it. From the looks of it, though, the Drive is huge…

No matter, must resist. I am sure they will all be gone by the time my repair estimate is presented…

(Ooh, hadn’t thought about combining the Ensoniq(s) with the Heat. That sounds like a plan for tomorrow!)

1 Like

I do it with the EPS classic and my restyler all the time. The thing I noticed is try not to hit the AMP on peaks with either model EPS so when you gain stage you will get a cleaner beefy lo go sound without adding odd order harmonics to your work. I get the odd order harmonics when I barely tap the AMP light then gain with other analog gear.

It’s low volume when you monitor your EPS but maybe use something like a headphone amp or your mixer’s headphone out to capture when you are barely getting into odd order harmonics territory. The EPS has its own way of getting Lo fi while still being musical. You just need to gainstage it right. I just want to go home and sample with it already after writing this.

My weekend project is to put the EPS into the neve MBP and see how much red silk I can add before I reach unwanted territory. I will probably throw in 4:1 FF compression too. Also blue silk is good for synth leads if you add a little tap. It adds a little shine to the high end.

2 Likes

YOWZA!

3 Likes

don’t stress. the sale drove down the price of used ones. and I’d imagine that’ll continue. if you want one someday, it’ll be there for a reasonable price.

4 Likes

Heads up, just ordered one from Alto Music via Reverb.com, $99 and free shipping. Only 2 left at the moment.

https://reverb.com/item/3607898-elektron-analog-drive-multi-circuit-distortion-pedal

i love this Pedal so much. what a keeper.

With all this talk of 303 clones I challenged myself to get that classic acid tone out of my Circuit Mono Station. Soon enough I hooked up the AD to overdrive the hell out of it. Works great. Focused and harmonic fuzz circuits are my favs for this.

Though like @JohnnyEgo stated, it’s of great importance to control the output level of the source going into the AD. I have to keep the Mono Station’s level way down not to overload the input of the AD. If not kept low most circuits sound very bad. No tone to be gotten at all.

Gain and level provide plenty volume boost. The tricky part is if alternating between dry and wet using the bypass. When bypassed the low Mono Station output is now sent to my mixer, which needs a lot of gain (almost maximum) to make up for it. I guess it’s something I’ll have to live with when using guitar pedals with synths?

2 Likes

… and now discontinued? Elektron’s latest email newsletter says:

The last few Analog Drives are available from our webshop. Get a hold of this eight circuit distortion beast before they’re gone forever.

2 Likes

I like the Clean Boost setting too!
Sorry to post it again, I used AD here with the Xox Heart, middle position for gain. Can’t wait to make something with this combo again !

Probably. Maybe some presets switching with a more neutral setting as “Dry”?

4 Likes