An album made before your Elektron boxes?

Here’s an album I wrote in 2018 before I got my first Elektron machine (any feedback is much appreciated):

and it raised the question; are there any albums you made before you got your Elektron boxes that you’d like to share?

5 Likes

Ok…

Esitimated 70% vst/au (loads of ableton operator) and 30% found sounds.

2007, That was 4 years before I got my OT.

Apart from my old HR 824 monitors, I didn’t own much hardware then, except an E-Mu E4 and an RME FF400.

P.s. I was a bit jealous of MachineDrum owners in those times.

2 Likes

Originally released on CD in 1996, a few years before I got the Sidstation in 99, re-released on bandcamp in 2020.

A funny album, I was into Detroit Techno and Acid House, the guy I wrote it with and the label were more into goa/trance, so it ended up being a mix of those styles. A few years earlier in 93 the track “Can’t take it” appeared on the very first Future Music CD.

13 Likes

And in the same spirit of musical archeology, here’s my first CD from 1994:

3 Likes

Here’s the last album I made before getting into elektron gear. Pretty much all Ableton, NI Reaktor, and Volcas.

3 Likes

Here’s mine :wink:

… released in 2020. Done with found object percussion, old tape machines, electric bass guitar (tuned to C), defect cassette recorders, piano, mangled adlib sounds from an 386sx and lots more stuff … it was done really old school and some of the sounds I’ve created ages ago. It’s the opus summum of a certain time :wink:

8 Likes

Haha wow this sounds like it could have been in the past few years on one of those post ironic new age labels.

2 Likes

:baby:
Pool Party | Sleeper 2

2 Likes

Plateau by Voyetra (‘92–‘97)

Alchemy by Voyetra (‘93–‘98)

Kalimari by Voyetra (‘98–‘00)

Loads of different hardware/computer setups used to produce these songs (track details have all the kit info).

Compiled and re-released in December 2020.

4 Likes

A previous project with a singer/songwriter, years before I got my first Digitakt. All in the box, NI Massive and various Ableton Live plugins, etc.

4 Likes

White Noise is a great tune! I’m curious if you were using a PC much? a bunch of VA synths? funny how some sounds hold up really well and sound timeless and classic while others definitely remind you the music was made in 1996

1 Like

This was made just prior to me shifting the entire way I made music via Elektron devices. It is funny to hear this now as I can see where I wanted to take this project but couldn’t quite get there. Still proud of this album though.

Here are some DL codes if you are interested in grabbing it.

Drummachinemike
DL Code: vgtq-xxrh
DL Code: fkn6-e5cv
DL Code: ln5t-brd8
DL Code: qa6t-x4x2
DL Code: g7y3-jaac

4 Likes

A bit embarrassing but here’s one:

Mike Miller and myself were Substrata around 2000. I think we had five releases (?) in the states and UK. Neither of us was able to do it proper and tour in the height of D&B, but some of our tracks were played by the biggest DJ’s in the world at that time.

Stakka & Skynet remixed one of our tracks, that was pretty cool.

Shortly after that I picked up a Sidstation, my first Elektron. How far they’ve come…

4 Likes

Killer album.

Also @darenager that opening track is :fire:

And @sinkingfeeling: very nice.

3 Likes

All made in Reason by my mate Andrew and I. We had no idea what we were doing other than a clear idea what we wanted to sound like. I don’t think I’d even seen a Machinedrum at this point…

4 Likes

Thanks!

No it was all old hardware gear sequenced from Atari ST, most of them were recorded in 92-94 then a couple were recorded in 95/96

I never owned any gear at that time, but from memory in the studio there was:

Juno 60
SH-101
Wasp
MS10
Jupiter 6
Moog Prodigy
Mono Poly
Big Tascam mixer
TX81z
Casio FZ1

On White Noise most of the drum sounds were made on the 101 and MS10 then sampled into the FZ1.

3 Likes

Wow that’s a hell of a line up. I don’t know why but I assumed it would have been samples, virtual analogue, romplers etc. I guess it wasn’t until the early 00s that all that gear became so expensive?

1 Like

Yeah that gear was dirt cheap when the studio bought it, PC stuff was very expensive then. It was mastered on a Korg Soundlink and Sonic Solutions Sonic System which I seem to remember the mastering guy saying it cost around £22,000.

This thing I think.

2 Likes

Pre-Post-Ironic

Balkan folk songs covered in chiptune

All done in Reason

Markdormin.bandcamp.com

2 Likes