Ambika

Parts finally showed up today for 6 voice cards!
Getting ready to assemble and tune!

Squeezed in a little soldering today between a bunch of other things I had to get done.

Ordered the wrong 4052’s but the correct ones arrived from Mouser today. Popped them in the filter cards and programmed all of them

Should be up and running tomorrow I think!!

11 Likes

I have spent a lot of time with my new Ambika over lockdown

10 Likes

superb character … which filterset is your ambika?

Thanks, its 6xSVF

Cool! Nice sounding patches. I like the brass one around 10:30 or so, others are good too :slight_smile: I’m better at making patches in context vs. stand alone.

I really need to spend time with mine. I only know of one other person who has the resonance compensated versions of these filter boards (though some people have done manual mods). I really like them but I need to give them a good run. Resonance tracking is solid for 4 octaves on all 6 boards (dual pot tuning add to the PCB).

I finished building it (checks pictures above)… 4 months ago and I haven’t really had quality time with it. I’ve been too busy building desks and custom patch bays for my home studio. It’s been very hard keeping away from using it and music in general to finish building my space. I also have kids so everything is in few hour spurts here and there.

1 Like

Lovely stuff :slight_smile: I’m interested to see how close the Micromonsta 2 can get to those sounds.

1 Like

Very very nice! Makes one wonder how this would sound with the standard filters. Do you sell those patches?

2 Likes

I do indeed, Click through to the soundcloud page for all the info.
Ignore the bit about 25% off and get 45% off instead
Use code “Fambika” at checkout :hugs:

1 Like

Great, purchased straight away! :+1:

1 Like

Im moving to another place right now but i’ll do a demo of the Ambika (6 smr4 filters) later.
I think its a very underrated synth.
It completely killed my GAS for another poly (also have the OB6).

3 Likes

Ok I just found out about the Ambika and I’m gonna buy it. Last thing I didn’t figure out is: does it allow 2 operator FM synthesis as well? I think I’ll go for all SMR even if I read somewhere about 4 SMR + 2 SVF. Does the latter cause any problem from user point of view? I’d use it as 4 poly, 1 bass 1 lead. Thanks

1 Like

4 voices will run out quickly if you do pad-like /string stuff, which the Ambika is great for.
You could always add a shruthi xt for mono stuff. It depends on your plans. I’d say start with 6 of the same filter and then you can change it up later if you change your mind.

That said, you can totally do what you want. I just think you’ll get more mileage out of 6 voices.

Well done sir.

1 Like

Thank you

It is extremely underrated as is the Shruthi-1.
I have wanted one for a long time and don’t know why I didn’t get one sooner. It’s very similar to my Prophet 12m and I managed to get some fairly similar sounding patches from it, mostly using small amounts of crush and fuzz.

1 Like

thanks for the advice. I am going hardware after a looong period of DAW/VST so I am a little hesitant, but all-SMR seems the way to go.

1 Like

SMR sounds good for poly stuff. You can definitely use it for bass and lead sounds too though. You can’t really go wrong with 6 SMR filters. Best part is that you can always replace some filters later if you decide you want to try something different.

2 Likes

I had a 6x SMR Ambika and it sounded wonderful. Just wasn’t using the mod matrix to its potential and ended up making the same types of sounds with it. I sold it to fund my OB-6 but still wish I had one to play with.

I only ever used it as a 6-voiced pad/string but I still have 3 Shruthi’s and can say with certainty their lead/bass sounds are worth keeping them around. 1 4PM, 1 Dual SVF & 1 Yellow Magic

1 Like

Just joined the Ambika club! Metal enclosure SMR4 Pi with YAM firmware… now need to make some more room :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Purchased :slight_smile:

2 Likes