Ambient / Dub Techno live session videos by Martin Stürtzer

Hi there,

I am an Elektron user for quite a while and got a lot of input here on Elektronauts. I somehow missed to participate in discussions and sharing creative ideas so far which I would like to change now.

My dub techno music is usually recorded live, maybe you have already been in touch with my stuff on yt. This month I finished a new ep that I´d like to present here in this thread. Thanks a lot for listening and your feedback.

Quadrashape EP on Bandcamp

13 Likes

sounds nice

Hi Martin,

I like your work in general, both ambient and minimal. I have a few questions though.
What cameras do you use? Do you know some tricks for syncing video from multiple sources? :slight_smile:
I sync everything manually in iMovie, but it’s not the best way for sure.
For which sounds do you use Reaktor and why? You already own a lot of physical synths, why Reaktor?

Hey martin will check this new stuff out. Have seen a lot of your other videos,… always great sound, taste and gear.

Thanks a lot! I have a Lumix G-series camera with a special very cheap lense and another VERY cheap cam from sony. Syncing the material is not easy and must be done by hand, I do that with an old version from Adobe Premiere. I usually start both cameras and then have a one bar click from Ableton (where I record the audio mix) at the beginning. After the recording session I can use that one bar cue to sync the files. I always try to have two long video files from beginning to end of the session in order to have a smooth editing later.

I like Reaktor a lot because I can do a lot of sequencing and modulate different parameters of the synths I create. Like I also do with my hardware synths I don´t use presets and start all sounds from scratch. Reaktor is very flexible and can be as versatile and in-depth modulating tons of parameters like the Elektron machines. When I leave the “classic” synthesis there can be much fun with Reaktor.

1 Like

Been following your tunes on yt for a while, big fan! Really have me GASing for a RYTM.

(and Virus TI :grinning:)

1 Like

Really nice stuff. What G series camera do you have? I have the G7. I got it for the line-in. That’s how I do the audio for my videos. Tho they are not all well produced as your videos. :slight_smile:

great tunes ! :thup:

congrats this ep is solid! :slight_smile:

I have only the smaller g6 model. Try to have good (meaning bright) light when filming. I prefer daylight and also use some lamps from my appartment, no professionel stuff. Good illumination makes a huge difference when you edit the material later. You can always dim the brightness of fade colours during editing but if nothing is there to work with in the first place you are lost. I also recommend spending some time finding the right angle to shoot with. A stand were the best 20 buck I spent for my video equipment.

1 Like

Today I uploaded a new 1h liveset with my :elan: and Pro2. I also used some Moogerfooger, a DX21 and my Virus TI for this techno studio session. Have fun!

7 Likes

Hi Martin, been listening to your stuff for a while now, really like how you use your gear - excellent productions

Thanks for sharing this Martin, awesome set, you gained a sub on YT :wink:

sounds good to me - jst my sort of thing:) followed…

always brings a smile to my face when i see you’ve added to this thread, i enjoy your excursions :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot Martin. I don’t know why, but anytime I watch your videos I want a Virus TI as well as a real good cup of tea (or is it coffee you’re drinking) :wink:
Great to listen, fun to watch, simply inspiring. Keep up your good work man, I enjoy your media contributions to the community a lot!

Thank you all very much! It´s tea and the Virus is my long time companion. I got it when it was released in 2005 and I still use it a lot. I recently discovered it´s use as an FM synth for bass and seq sounds after sticking to it for pads and stab sounds for quite a while. The synth engine is terribly dated and basically not upgraded since the early Access days, it´s even 100% backwards compatible to the Virus A which is a bad thing in my point of view for a synth that´s still sold in 2017. But I like the unique sound and the workflow of this machine.

so you basically wouldnt recommend getting a new one… but perhaps pick up a cheap used one at a good price point…

Love these sessions, keep them coming.