Amazed by Heat

I dig the MK1 orange screen. Because, ya know, flames n stuff. HEAT!
Plus the buttons match my MK1 Octatracks. And I have other solutions for metering the output, and I can meter the input via the input sensitivity settings menu.

Just reminded myself how good the character and P6 filter drive are in the Pro 2, and how good the drive FX are in the Typhon. So I’ve talked myself off the 2nd OT ledge.
So only buy it if it’s helping you. You no longer have to save me from myself :wink:

3 Likes

I have an old iMac from 2010. It works fine for DAW usage, but it’s not got specs for OB. I’ve been putting off buying a new computer. They’re just not a sexy enough purchase for me…

I do actually have that mackie, which I use to alt 3/4 route sound to a reverb. So I’ll have another think around my set up.

2 Likes

The AH is just one of those things that once it finds its way into your setup, it just stays. Which makes it all the more perplexing how there are second-hand units available. These folks must be exiting the music hobby altogether. Kidding aside, the price that second-hand mk1’s go for is mind-blowing. If I didn’t already have one, and I were considering one, it would be a pretty easy decision. To be honest, I don’t use mine to its fullest potential, but I have done more with it in the past, and I’m definitely going to work it into more situations in the future. I need to figure out a way to quickly change it from master insert duty to sampling duty. I think it was @Hawk who mentioned that Heat needs to be on a patchbay for easy plugging. My setup is pretty simple, so a patchbay is probably overkill, but that does have me thinking…

3 Likes

Are you DAWless? Cause AH as a plugin is a solution.

1 Like

I’ll have to think about it this way from now on! I don’t have any problem with my MKI, but I do lust after that OLED screen for some reason. Have thought about selling it to ‘upgrade’ to the MKII. Always want what you don’t have I guess.

1 Like

Yeah, I do everything without a DAW for now. I’m sure one day I’ll be going back to the DAW world, but for now, I’m enjoying my setup.

1 Like

upgrade to the MK2 gets you some metering, some buttons, and less headroom on the inputs and outputs. :dismayed:

Heat MK1 is literally “hotter”. :heat:
Not just because of the orange hot display, but also the +3dBu difference on the inputs AND outputs.

(really just being facetious, both are great, and that difference is not really a considerable difference. But that’s also the point. Both are great.)

3 Likes

Didn’t know this.

Fire indeed

:thup: There are a few threads on the subject.
Plus, impedance is not the same, so the difference is offset, when using headphones.

3 Likes

All this talk makes me want to track down the fellow I sold mine to and get it back! Alas, it was wasted on me.

3 Likes

I bought Heat very much for the sound treating / warming up aspect of it… and boy does it deliver!!

I have been using it on a Roland Fantom, which has nice clarity but it severely lacks balls. The heat makes it sound SOOO much better. It went beyond my expectations of what was possible. It instantly bring back that analog fizzy feel that it is very much missing.

Fantom goes from thin and uninspiring to lush and girthy. Harmonics really glisten and are brought to life and much needed weight is added. It even adds more clarity on top of this if you want… impressive.

The filter is amazing very “warm” and comforting. The EQ is also amazing and very useful.

The only thing I don’t like is the resonance is too much. It can ring even without audio playing WTH! - in headphones this extremely, damagingly piercing!! I wish that could be tamed so you have more control over that knob and it becomes much more useful.

2 Likes

thinking about the din-sync output (after @AdamJay posted some heat as din sync provider vids) - I find it very endearing that the heat offers sin-sync output. A basically unrelated (to the heat) function added just to be useful.

1 Like

Yea! I wouldn’t be able to use my din sync modded dr-110 without it, since I sold my A4 last year.
Super useful.

1 Like

Even though I know the reason is likely that they already had the circuit/code from the a4 being reused across product lines I like to pretend that the real reason is some Elektron designer with a stack of din-sync devices and the aim to do exactly what you had the dr110 doing (need to get the din-sync mod on mine as well!)

1 Like

don’t do it! Just get a midi mod, if you can. I’d much rather sequence it with my OT!

Turn up the “dirt” parameter on the filter page. That usually tempers the resonance to where you can play with the filter without fear of damaging your ears.

5 Likes

Running a friend’s MDUWMK2+ through the Heat Saturation circuit today.

Talk about breathing new life into a drum machine. Wowza

8 Likes

Heat is fire, obvs :fire: :laughing:

Think it is my fave analog filter box, had the sherman, mfc42, filter factory - AH is probably the most versatile of the bunch IMHO.

1 Like

Only for the Filter, the MFC42 is quite something. You even have an 8-Pole in Mono. And the Filter knob is my favorite, such a grip.

Yeah the phase shifter was nice too. I wish I hadn’t sold mine, sold it years ago for £200(!) but the AH fulfils my filter needs now.

1 Like