Am I the only one? [Machinedrum love]

I’d like a md synthesis love only thread for us non sampling muthafukas please - it’s the cheaper way to md and you can still find sub £1k machines which is ok value if you think you’re getting something crazy like 20 or so different bespoke synthesis machines plus effects some fat 12 bit samples and a great sequencer

The potential is all there to mix pantha du Prince bells and gritty drum samples with old school drum machine beats and add booming bass lines and if you’re patient squelchy acid lines

I’ve heard that the sampling is a must have but at those prices it’s still just adds a sampler and I believe the value in md is really in the synthesis

My two cents (pence)

Mk1 4 Ever

10 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree.
I have said it many times.
The power of the MD is in the box.

If someone spends time, to love the MD, they will discover this.

We are but messengers.

4 Likes

It bums me out that more often than not when I come across cool sounds or tips/tricks for MD, it’s usually UW sample manipulation. Maybe I’m just not looking hard enough.

this is always my go-to listen for beautiful, pure MD synthesis. from an Elektron party in 2002, so it’s well before the UW came about. it is, however, two MD’s and two operators at once (@nils being one of them).

11 Likes

Honestly try fucking with the lfo menu and some sine waves or an fm cowbell or something and you’ll find the gold

3 Likes

Here’s an album of mine that is 100% MD synthesis using the X.04 firmware and GND machines only.

There are also some more recent tracks of mine in the Current Sounds thread that are MD-synthesis only. The MD synthesis is where it’s at for me. Extremely capable, absolutely love it!

16 Likes

It’s up to you to create in in “Mission Briefs” a Track Challenge using only MD synthesis, same as Ryan did with cowbells ^^
Here is my 100% MD track I did for the said challenge, with only 3 samples from SNL (action starts at 1:05)

8 Likes

Awesome! @chiasticon listening now, this is great. @korpinen, will listen once I’m done with this Elektron party set!

@Bitsnbobs yeah, I really enjoy throwing LFOs at tonal sounds. It gets so silly in a good way.

@LyingDalai nice, I hadn’t delved into the Briefs from before I joined. Lots of gold in here to check out.

5 Likes

I love the Elektron Machinedrum

6 Likes

Lovely track. The new firmware opens up so much more possibilities too. GND synth machines are a great addition.

2 Likes

I only use the machines on the MD.
Here the my latest share of a little MD jam on insta in prep for a live show. There are a few MD only clips in my profile.

4 Likes

What OS you running on your MD?

X.09 unofficial.

3 Likes

This is a sps1 MK2, with latest oficial firmware :wink:

I got this model luckily before prices went crazy some years ago, just interested on its synthesis engine and different sound generation capabilities.

5 Likes

My only problem with my Machinedrum is needing to put down a MnM to get deep into it, and that I sold a few analog monosynths to get there.

4 Likes

Wish I had monomachine

Watch out for Machinedrum scams on eBay folks. There’s I believe 2 from Brazil at the moment. I fell prey to one from Lithuania. I’ve been promised a refund but it still wasted a whole month when I could have bought a legitimate one.

6 Likes

That is sad. Sorry to hear that.

I saw that and was wondering if that was the case. Always starting bid at $99.00

1 Like

The item photos on at least one listing are stolen from a blog from years ago, a quick reverse image search found.

1 Like