Am I the only one? [Machinedrum love]

:+1:t6::+1:t6::+1:t6:

6 Likes

8 Likes

I have probably mentioned this before, but worth repeating.

I have been asking in posts like this for Elektron to make a box with a MD heart, with the machines and LFO structure, coupled with the sequencer, pads and performance tools of the Rytm. That would be my ideal machine.
And before you start at me about how shit the pads are, let’s imagine they improve drum ability and keep the performance usability. Which is what I love the most.

I suppose the Syntakt is their answer to that. But not quite what I was looking for. Although I have been tempted to get one just to see what they have done.

2 Likes

Here are some highlights using the machinedrum sps1 MK2. There are some videos on its own, playing along with other synths, processing, being processed, sequenced by others, sequencing others, etc… I think there are videos since I got it just before prices start being crazy about four years ago :wink:

1 Like

!!! W a t ! ! ! !

Wow yeah this guys MD sound like Amiga tracker breaks ahaha @phaelam

4 Likes

Sir @waftlord ‘s magic

3 Likes

Just gave you a follow, great stuff!

1 Like

Hey guys.
I’ve been having some crashes on my MD Mk2 UW. Just locking up after about an hour and then every 10 minutes from that point on. But things have become even more confusing . . .

I’m currently testing the machine with my friend’s power supply that he has for his OT Mk1. I ran the Machinedrum for a whole day on his power supply without a crash.

I switched back to my power supply with the intention of waiting for it to crash again and then see if my friend’s power supply removed the issue again. However…

I have now had the Machinedrum running for a whole day on my power supply without any issues?

So I am thoroughly confused. Is there anything that could possibly have been an issue that has somehow been fixed by trying the other power supply and then going back to mine?

I would also mention that the problem occurred for the first time while running the unofficial firmware X.08. However, when I reverted to 1.63 the issue continued until using my friend’s power supply.

I’ve raised a ticket with Elektron and informed them of this. I can send it over to them and get it checked out. It may end up being the thing I do as I want to use the MD live.

Any ideas are really helpful.

Thanks,
Adam

no ideas here. loads of conjecture tho.

lately reports of crashing/freezing/failing MDs seems to be a fairly consistent feature on this forum sadly.
Units will now be 10+ 15+ 20+ years old.
makes me nervous. but at the same time loads of users report really stable usage (both with and without X fw) after many years. seems to be a luck thing.

here follows my conjecture list of possible causes which is in no way exhaustive or accurate and is pure speculation:

• Age, electronic components may inevitably fail after time (especially if using non standard irregular power supplies). Solder can crack and cause issues, a reflowing has been known to help.
  • Storage, is your MD in kept at a stable temperature, dry/humid conditions or fluctuates wildly? (oxidation/corrosion is a thing)
  • Smoky/dusty environmental factors in its ownership history?
  • Transport, are you moving your MD around often and are its internals taking some undue knocks?
  • PSU, is it the original or a decent, stable supply at the recommended standards?
  • Usage, are you thwacking the buttons and pummelling the encoders, or caressing gently?
  • Is it permanently patched in or are you plugging/unplugging audio and midi cables on the reg?

these aren’t questions I expect you to answer @apmbpm but just airing out the factors that all electronic music hardware owners must appreciate and understand will impact our love affairs with these fragile old machines.

3 Likes

Cheers @waftlord.

I’m not sure about it’s ownership history - but from my perspective it sits on my music desk permanently patched in both midi and audio wise.

The temperature is pretty stable in the room.

Transported the machine twice - in a protected music instrument specific bag and alway either in the car or beside me. I take care not to know the machine or expose it to any hits etc.

Original PSU is being used.

I sequence it often from my Hardware Sequencer. Sometime the Elektron one. I’m not one to be heavy handed with any of my gear.

I’m leaning towards sending it to Elektron to have a good check over - I don’t think I can risk it being unreliable in any way if I am using it live.

I’m going to reinstall the unofficial firmware again this afternoon and see if that prompts the machine to display these lockups. As mentioned - after returning to the official 1.63 - the lockups continued, but I am wondering if SOMEHOW(?) the unofficial firmware is the trigger for these issues on my machine. I don’t know. I’m exploring.

you’re doing good work with the investigation, keep us posted.

a bespoke MD MOT/refurb service is probably a good business venture. :wink:

@waftlord - cheers mate.

Hopefully I’ve find some kind of pattern or cause.
:crossed_fingers:

Thanks! I’m glad you like it :wink:

You did not happen to have something plugged into the inputs of the MD do you?

No. Nothing. 🤷🏻

Cool. Just checking as a mate who just purchased a MD was having a similar problem and that is what was causing it.
Good luck in your troubleshooting. Hope you get it sorted soon.

1 Like

Cheers. Currently it’s all still working fine on the original power supply.

I don’t have a clue what’s behind it all.

🤷🏻

1 Like

It is definitely a superb machine, but it has also lot of hype… is it overpriced? Well, I guess depending on the use you may give to it. I personally got an sps1 MK2 before pricing rises some years ago, as I was only interested on its synth capabilities, and It works wonders for me, on many aspects. Current prices for me will be difficult to justify, even with all that it has to offer, but I guess if you squeeze all its juice, you will we rewarded. Just think outside or the box and try it ALL :wink:

1 Like

depends what price you pay! :upside_down_face:

but seriously, I think the mk2 UW+ was like $1800 last it was available new. $3k is too much. but they can be found off-Reverb for closer to $2k pretty regularly (there’s one on MW right now for $2250). arguable that it’s not worth now what it was when brand new. also arguable that it’s a classic and therefore deserves to have it’s value go up like any other!

anyway, I’ve been really loving this dude’s house tunes with it (and sometimes the OT). don’t know if he’s on here, but if so: well done!

6 Likes