Alternative to K702 headphones for techno / electronic music?

Ahaha, nice choice :ok_hand:

1 Like

Should probably create a thread about Mike Parker’s music… going through a bit of phase of really enjoying his stuff at the minute

1 Like

It’s my favourite type of techno, stuff like Dozzy, Neel, Rrose, Wata Igarashi, Anthony Linnell, Adiel, Desroi, DJ Nobu etc and lots more, all good stuff :+1:

3 Likes

Same here! Dozzy is king and introduced me to that whole sound really. Love all the others you mentioned, except I haven’t heard of Desroi. Really enjoying some of Wata’s recentish stuff with the whole arpeggio thing going on. We should start a thread discussing this if there isn’t already one :slight_smile: don’t want to sidetrack from the headphone chat too much!

2 Likes

Just set one up :+1:

Can Opener crossfeed the left and right signals. This mimics what you would experience with monitors.

SW offsets the headphones freq bias. Although you are right it would be good if they also had a cross feed option.

2 Likes

Switching to different cans would be a really big step for me, and something I would only do if I see a big jump in performance. I use dt770 with sonarworks and know them really well. The bass is pronounced, but when you know them you know when it’s right.

If they should break (I have had them for a really long time) I’ll check the market and only get something different if it really wins me over.

These came this morning and I am really really liking them so far (aside from a brief moment where I thought they were terrible, but it turned out my headphone output was set to mono :joy:) – thank you very much for the recommendation!

Totally agree with your assessment – the bass is there and sounds fantastic, but it’s much “tighter”/more controlled than on the DT770. So far just listening to some of my favourite tracks and really enjoying discovering new details to them, never had a high end pair of headphones like this before so it is a real treat.

Also happy with the comfort, DT770 was slightly better as the ear pads are huge, but I think I have fairly large ears and these are fine.

2 Likes

500 bucks :money_mouth_face: :exploding_head: :flushed:

they better be better than the 770s :slight_smile:

Ahaha well I got em for more like 400 USD but yeah, it’s like 3x the price of 770 so you’d expect them to be good. I kind of got desensitised to the £200-300 price point for headphones after buying Bose and Sony noise cancelling headphones and them being great purchases. Couldn’t bring myself to spend much more than that though!

1 Like

Got it! Thank you!

I was referring to the Sony MDR-7506

I’m uncomfortable buying from just anyone even if they have almost 100% positive rating due to a lot of counterfeiting.

I like these artists too. What do you call this subgenre? Psychedelic techno? Hypnotic techno? I much prefer this style to the industrial dystopian techno that has been fashionable since early last decade.

1 Like

I haven’t been able to find online a comparison article / video between the Neumann NDH20 and the Shure SRH1840. Why do companies pick such shi**y names? Name a product after an animal or a flower or a star / constellation or something memorable… jeez. Anyway, it’s between these 2 at this point. Anyone here can tell me about their experience with both of these?

2 Likes

I’m interested in this too. Found the freq chart here:

I know what you mean, bought a tempest once on eBay and it never showed up , but you do get eBay money back guarantee, plus these phones were unavailable anywhere else

Not sure if it has a specific sub genre name, but started a thread about it

2 Likes

Yep, either of those things. I usually refer to it as “deep techno” but hypnotic is probably a better description! When it originally became its own sub-genre in the late 2000s it was sometimes as known as head/mind-f**k techno but that seems to have not stuck :joy:. Also was sometimes known as Italian techno because a lot the first wave of artists who became known for it are Italian!

Adelock started up a new thread for discussing this kind of music at Mike Parker and similar techno producers, if I get time I’ll post some of my favourites this evening!

2 Likes

Yeah Dozzy, Neel, Dino Sabatini, Claudio PRC to name a few, all Italian

2 Likes