Patchbay questions

I like the Samson better because you have the switches directly on the front panel.

4 Likes

I think thru is a very useful function to have on a patchbay, particularly when connecting stereo fx units. Otherwise, connecting to the mono input can create a feedback loop on the other input.

1 Like

wow @darenager absolutely KILLED it with the labeling game. I’m just using artist tape (that I bought in 1998!) and labeling it by hand. I did get a label maker this past xmas though so I need to figure out how to do this with the Samson patch bay. I’ve mainly been focused on power supplies with it (and the underside of pedals; like the Strymons with hidden functions).

this is the label maker I’ve got:

1 Like

absolutely amateur! :rofl:

2 Likes

For whatever it’s worth, I’m currently using three of the behringer ones (one of the 3000 and two of the 2000). I bought them used all together for super cheap and figured I would upgrade to something better when I could afford it. That was years ago and they’re still going strong and I don’t feel like they’re at risk of failing. The switches on top are a little weird, I’m always afraid I’m going to accidentally bump them into the wrong orientation when sliding the unit into the rack but it hasn’t happened yet.

1 Like

Loving the Samson S-Patch plus.

7 Likes

Trying to figure out if this makes sense, seems like i may not be optimizing or routing logically.

Top S-Patch Plus is mostly mixer and interface
Middle is the insert points from each channel on the mixer
Bottom is FX I/O.

Does this make sense?

Typically, you’d have the device outputs normaled to the effect inputs you use them with most often, and the effect returns (or other device outputs) normaled to the mixer inputs. Whatever your default layout is, you shouldn’t need any patch cables for it. Cables come into play when you want to change stuff up.

4 Likes

Understood!

I wanted the inserts half-normalized so if I don’t want any FX or have the device off, I can still receive a signal, some devices not allow for true bypass if not engaged.

Synth -> Insert Send -> FX In -> FX Out -> Insert Return is theoretically simple logic but I can’t figure out how it would work without cabling :smiley:

Is there a way I can reconfigure that would conform more to that model? I’m surely missing something.

Right — for stuff that’s off/doesn’t have bypass, you’d have to use a cable. For reference, I’ve got two stacked patchbays; in the first one, row A is synth outputs and mixer sends, and row B (half-normaled to A) is effect sends. In the second, row C is effect returns, half-normaled to row D, mixer inputs. If I need to hard-bypass an effect, I run a cable from A to D. I have a few things that don’t have semi-dedicated effects that aren’t normaled, so they do have cables on them normally. I guess my goal is mostly a) everything comes up ready to use when I power the strip and b) the “meaning” of each row is consistent, so it’s easier to remember what’s where.

1 Like

Appreciate the feedback!

On/Off topic - Here’s a little specialized thing I’m putting together with the Matrise matrix mixer, and the Bored Brain Terminal (Half-Normal Patchbay)

It’s sort of a pedalboard modular. Not only can I send everything into everything else, but I can also switch the order of Blooper/Fabrikat, or take from the half-normal outputs of each for multi-tracking, or insert something else into the M A T R I X. :exploding_head:

Waiting on the next batch of Matrise at the end of the month, and my Fabrikat gets here Friday. I was headed this way with or without the Fabrikat. I’ve used the Bored Brain for similar application, but patching isn’t quite like matrix mixing.

Is the S-Patch plus worth the 60% price hike from the PX3000?

It has the switches on the front panel. I would say it’s worth the price if you can afford it.

1 Like

Hello,

Looking to buy a patchbay and some cables. Got a few questions.

Are there any cables anyone could recommend i go for?

Patchbay i bought is balanced. Does it matter if im taking the output of my eurorack into patchbay with an unbalanced TS cable? I normally take the vca out straight into mixer with mini jack to 1/4 inch.

I read somewhere you should be using balanced cables with balanced patchbay but unbalanced is all I have for my eurorack

Not sure if ive worded it correctly, absolutely don’t understand the whole balanced/unbalanced thing like i probs should lol.

Anyway, let me know if there’s going to be an issue here and where i can look to sort if so,

Thanks!

Hey there! You’ll be fine using unbalanced 1/4 inch jacks with a balanced patch bay. I’m doing that right now with my 2.

Recommendations for cable brands? Just don’t buy the cheapest ones. Hosa does the trick for me. Aim towards of the middle of the price range & you’ll be good for years.

This Reverb article is a decent read, the most import part is under the theory header. Basically, audio is sent twice down the cable, with one signal being inverted. At the destination a clever bit of wiring uses the inverted signal is used to find noise to ignore (noise being sound not in the original signal).

^All that’s important if you’re using 5m or so of cables between source (mic, guitar) & destination (mixer, pre-amp, interface etc). Even more important if you’re using instrument level signals. With Eurorack being far louder & generally using much shorter cable runs means you should be fine.

Using unbalanced signals means you don’t get that noise removal. Unbalanced signals will pass through without any problems, regardless of the source/destination & the cable’s other end. Balanced & unbalanced sound much the same if the signal has no noise (from personal experience).

I went through a similar series of questions a couple of weeks ago when I switched to XLR for my rack FX. One device was XLR only & unbalanced. I panic bought too many cables :man_facepalming:. Only needed a pair of snakes (1x TRS-XLRm & 1x TRS-XLRf) Lesson was- buy what’s needed to connect the gear, don’t overthink the options because the first solution’s probably going to be the best. Your mini jack to TRS will work.

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed reply. Much appreciated!

1 Like

Curious if this scenario technically presents a problem?

I have a Samson patchbay taking unbalanced sources from my synths. These are then routed from the patchbay using balanced TRS cables into balanced inputs on a Samson SM10 mixer. I feel like it would be better to be using unbalanced patch cables between the bay and the mixer?

In practice I haven’t noticed any issues. I would do an A/B test but that’s a bit too much mucking around right now and as I said, it doesn’t seem to have been an issue and if it turned out to be I would still be finishing wiring before I could get some replacement patch cables anyway.

Balanced cables and balanced inputs can carry and accept unbalanced signals, no problem.

The opposite, however, is never true.

Cheers!

Yeah, it was just the swapping from TS to TRS for part of the signal journey that had me second guessing.

I suppose if you plug an unbalanced source into the balanced patchbay, it’s probably only causing the incoming signal on the sleeve to be carried onward by the ring and sleeve ?