Patchbay questions

Yeah USB labelling is useful too, saves ending up with tons of duplicates if you plug something into a different port. I labelled my 7 port USB hub as I often plug different things into it and not using the same port as before causes windows to install another driver, the labels save all that hassle.

Ah, that’s much neater than mine! One long strip would be easier to do than loads of tiny ones that you have to cut to size :slight_smile:

I don’t think I could program the Dymo I have to output such a long label.

Totally agree with darenager !

An older machine I had could not do long labels, so I just did 4 ports per label, a bit easier than doing individually.

Two 48-Neutriks here as well.
One for Synths: labelled SA xx and SB xx (xx = number)
One for Effects: labelled FA xx and FB xx

I’m building a small studio in my garage, so I will reorganize my cabling again and will definetly add an extra patch bay for sure. It took me also hours of thinking before I set it up for the first time and it is a hassle setting up. But very rewarding afterwards indeed.

And I used multicore cables (most cost effective), but I will probably switch gradually to individual cables, since once in a while a cable is defect, so I have to cut it loose from the bundle and replace it anyway. My main point being: do not forget to label your cables too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I label the PSU cable and the mains plug :laughing: pretty OCD!

6 Likes

I have one on each side of my room, 8 of the ports on each are linked so that I can plug stuff from one PB to the other, comes in handy and saves having cables trailing across the room.

1 Like

That’s a good tip, when I inevitably need to rearrange stuff I’ll try that. It’s actually much neater down the other end as I got more of the hang of cutting them out and putting them on straight!

Damn. I need to get a label maker and join the fancy guy club. It’s hard to write small enough for the cut up strips of postal stickers I use.

1 Like

Same here :joy:

I label psus, usb cables, midi cables and audio cables. Seriously, it’s so much easier when you’re fiddling around with cables, no matter which end you’ll grab, it will have something like ‘H9 Out L’ written on it.

I don’t label my patchbay, though. :laughing:

2 Likes

#unfriended :laughing:

4 Likes

I just like that tidy and shiny look :joy:

1 Like

There exist insert modules for the Neutrik patchbays. They have the combined send/return socket on the rear just like the insert sockets on your mixing desk. The front of these modules provide split send/return sockets which are normalled until you plug a jack into the the lower one (return). Just getting the signal from the front upper socket (send) without feeding the return will serve as an additional direct out for your mixer. These modules are really nice, little helpers and work like a charme!

2 Likes

Also in a box

1 Like

Hrmmmmm, I haven’t been fond of the Neutrik patchbay but I do have a SSR-8 sitting on the shelf unloved. I’ll use it for some of my buses, thanks for the inspiration!

I am going to take that route (patchbay) very soon as my little home studio is growing up.
I have noticed that I am not inclined to move and test things around as my current setup is more or less fixed:
Every synth, effect INs and/or OUTs of my sound card is connected to my mixer (Midas 160).
I am looking at patch bay now and although I have read extensively on the matter, I am not sure what route to take and I am looking at these 2:
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Both are quite equal I guess, you can’t go wrong. But I’m using the Neutrik ones, mainly to avoid extra switches and once installed, the switches are unreachable anyway. And for personal reasons, I avoid BHR where I can, but I don’t want to go into that discussion here (and again). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Bionicvinnie thanks for the heads up.
The Neutron one comes with extra patch cables so it looks like a no brained.
Though isn’t there a difference with the BHR as it seems to have the option of all working modes?

Sure, it’s just a matter of turning the modules to put them as normal or through. Very easy to do, even for a guy with two left hands like me.

1 Like