Recommendations for line mixer and/or patch bay please!

Hi!

I’m looking at trying to more easily integrate my hardware synths into my system.

Does anyone have thoughts / opinions on patch panels or line mixers for that job? Ta!

Ok, we’ll need to know a bit about what your system is at the moment and what you’re looking to achieve. Here’s a few questions to help us get closer:

How many channels will you need?

Are you thinking something like a 4 unit 19” rack, or a console / desk type mixer format, i.e., how much space do you have available?

Will you need it to have eq?

Will you need it to have fx built in or are you using external hardware fx, or plugins?

Will you need it to act as an audio interface for your computer, if you’re using a computer?

Will you need it to record? If so, multitrack or just stereo master?

2 Likes

So - since Steinberg has stuffed-up their unofficial support for aggregate devices, I’m looking to move away from my 3 RME Hammerfalls and over to a Fireface UC for Cubase work. I’m essentially recording/multi-tracking into DAWs.

How many channels - at least 32 incoming channels into Cubase. 48 would be nice. That’s why I’m thinking - patch panel.

Rack/console/desk - ideally a rack system.

EQ - not necessary, since I mix in-the-box.

FX - not required, again since I mix in-the-box in the studio.

Audio interface - not necessary.

Recording - I’ll be tracking in any combination of around 26 external synths/modules/effects. Some of those are stereo. Some ideally I’d take individual outputs tracked-in (e.g. drum machines).

On 1 Fireface UC, I have 8 analogue inputs, including 2 mic pre-amps.

I currently have available:

3x RME Multifaces, which won’t work in aggregate for Cubase.
A&H QU24 which I use for gigs - downside being that it’s 48KHz only. I mostly work at 44.1KHz so I can move files to Akai units for gigging
Mackie VLZ 1604, which isn’t completely stable. It’s been a tad over-used for gigs.
Fireface UC, which I’ve used for gigs with the laptop, but am now more Akai Force/MPC based for gigging.

Does that help?

1 Like

Qu24 is awesome, I love mine.
I feel you on the 48 kHz thing, but it’s easy to convert files these days (I personally use ffmpeg).
You could even get an output towards an MPC unit to sample directly to your convenience.
Try to get a functional workflow out of what you already have, I’d say.
Maybe with a patchbay to ease things a bit.

1 Like

Ok, that helps.

So, what’s the maximum number of channels you’re going to be recording at the same time?

That’s not ever-so easy to answer. I could hypothetically manage to individually record stereo pairs, but if I have multiple units all singing, recording all of them is very useful.

One approach I could take - thinking radically, is to switch between audio interfaces and the QU24.

I say that, because digital input is very useful with (for example) my guitar effects sending to my audio card.

In that case, I might consider even a passive line mixer, taking outputs for monitoring from the QU24, Fireface UC and potentially some other units too.

Does that sound like something anyone else is doing? Ableton seems to remember inputs on different cards, but I’m betting that Cubase will complain.

I’m using Qu24 with Ableton, it works pretty well for recording 24 tracks at once, and yes it remembers your tracks settings.

I’d be missing the SPDIF input though, if I moved entirely to QU.

If Steinberg would fix their coreaudio2asio, I’d be laughing aggregate-wise. :slight_smile:

Since two weeks I use a QSC Touchmix-30 Pro combined with a patch bay … and love it.
I hope this will be not TL;TR … :wink:

Like you I have a couple of synths and audio sources in my project studio and I want to work either in the box, completely without a computer, or anything in between :wink:

This have been my major requirements:

• high audio quality
  • as many as possible inputs and outputs already integrated
  • as easy and quick to operate as possible … no menu diving … direct access to what I need on the fly
  • direct recording and playback capability to use the board as recording device
  • all channels (in/out) available as USB in/outs to be routed forth/back to/from a computer
  • compact and quality built

When I looked at the QSC for the first time, the only thing I thought I was missing was real faders and many knobs. But considering my typical workflow on my analogue gear made me realize that I tend to set channel faders to a sufficiant gain level once and don’t make much use of channel FX. After a creative phase I often switch over to ITB mixing and mastering.

With this in mind the QSC checked my most important boxes … suddenly :wink:

The QSC comes with:

• 30 analogue inputs (class A) and 2 extra channels over USB
  • 14 analogue auxes
  • direct recording/playback of 32 channels on USB drive (SSD recommended)
  • very direct and easy to use
  • compact like an old electronic typewriter
  • a great touchscreen (well not iPad quality, but great for the job)
  • provides a 32 interface to a computer (USB-audio-compliant)
  • and more …

And for the records, we can switch easily between 44.1 kHz - 48 kHz. Maybe it is at least worth a short check.

1 Like