Patchbay questions

I’m running out of channels on my 24 channel mixer and instead of always swapping cables from the back panel, I’m thinking about getting one or two 6,3mm cable patchbays to make the connections more easily available and tinkering around more fun. We are also planning to using my mixer with our band recording, so it would also be convenient for that purpose too.

Patchbays are quite cheap and I guess there aren’t so big differences between models, but moreso I’d appreciate some tips from the experienced patchbay veterans. How to set up channels so that it’s easy to understand the connections and convenient to set up different connections fast? How to deal with effect pedals so that you can route any synths via pedals easily?

1 Like

There is one feature where many patchbays differs: if they have normalling and which type. It’s quite essential to how you can use them.

To spare me the time to describe it myself, please follow this link:

2 Likes

are you based in london? got one of these i’m not using

Nope, in Finland unfortunately!

Definitely get a label printer too, makes it much easier to remember what is where.
Also use a spreadsheet to plan it all out.

I have 2 48 point patchbays, they are the old classic Neutrik/Rean ones, I have had them for about 20 years now and they still all work perfectly, I’d avoid the ones with switches personally as pin pointing an intermittent crackling connection isn’t fun when you have lots of patch points. Besides if you plan your patchbay properly then you will set up what connections are isolated, split, normalled or half normalled during installation.

Certain things might not need to go to the patchbay, so don’t be tempted to patch them just for the sake of it.

I also recommend either having a shallow rack unit or blanking panel of at least 3u above or below the patchbay if you don’t have easy access to the rear.

I swear by patchbays, they are a hassle to set up and you will need to buy lots of cables, but it makes everything so much better.

8 Likes

Agree with all of the above. Once it’s done you’ll wonder why you hadn’t done it years ago!

1 Like

I’ve just set mine up. I spent a lot of time researching and understanding patchbays and with that knowledge planned out my system.

Great advice using a spreadsheet. That’s what I did. Need to spend some time with it now but first impressions are it’s fantastic and a useful cheap bit of kit.

2 Likes

Lots of patchbay questions, answers, and tips are already available:
https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=patchbay

1 Like

Console insert routing conundrum-
I sold off my Samson S-Patch plus to clear up space in my rack and mere days later realized my mixer inserts are a perfect use, so I’m looking to buy one again but I have one common routing scenario I can’t figure out…

• I want all my 24+ mixer in and bus channel inserts to go into the patchbay so I can add or remove FX for tracking or mixing
  • When my inserts are connected, send channel goes out and signal must be passed back through return
  • If I want everything wired for POSSIBLE use in the insert channel, is there any way I can have the inserts plugged TRS into the patchbay but still send signal back?

The main design I can think of would be using an insert cable from the console to the patchbay, with the patchbay half-normal, so If I have nothing plugged in, send is normalled to return, if I want to split out the channel in an extra send, I could, but if i’m processing with FX, I can do so and take from front top and return into front bottom. (I think that makes sense…)

Is that the most rational/useful configuration people tend to use?

Thanks!

Yep! you’d have to do exactly that. Run an insert cable, half-normal, top to bottom. the insert will remain unused until you break the connection on the bottom by patching in an effect.

The only consideration I would call out is cable length. Hopefully, your patchbay isn’t too far away from your mixer. Those insert cables are unbalanced, so don’t go too crazy with cable lengths

3 Likes

Yeah, I was hoping to have an option that uses less of my ports (24 channel mixer, I also have some additional buses and aux that would be great to also be able to get into the 48 point patchbay, but sigh…)

No shame in 2 or more patch bays!

Might be time for a spreadsheet to assess not only your needs, but frequency of use for scenarios.

4 Likes

Ha! I have just finished recabling after adding a patchbay. A spreadsheet was very handy to work out what should plug into where :slight_smile:

1 Like

I keep a PDF on my desktop for quick access. Some of my less-used patch points get forgotten about pretty quickly :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I label every machine with which patchbay spots it’s plugged into. Have the spreadsheet too, but this way I don’t need it unless I’m changing stuff.

3 Likes

Yeah spreadsheets are super handy for planning patchbays and for reference, I use them for mixer input and midi channel planning too.

Then I use a Brother label printer with 6mm tape, I save the file so that if I change it I don’t have to redo the whole label design again:

12 Likes

That is nice!

I don’t think my sampson has enough space for a label, but nows I’ll do some better measuring.

This is so simple I’d never have thought to do it! hahaha. You just put a little sticker on a synth or pre with a number?

1 Like

Also handy to put labels on gear to denote midi channel, and I label PSUs and cables as well, seems excessive but saves a lot of head scratching and the label machines are pretty cheap, plugging 1 wrong PSU can be expensive :wink:

Edit: this is the one I use, can be used standalone or with PC if wanting to do more detailed label designs, you can find them at wildly different prices if you shop around, a tape is about £5 for 8m if you use the compatible copies.

5 Likes

I use a silver sharpie. You guuuuuys I’m way lo-tech on this front!

2 Likes

Yup. I’ve got a dymo label maker, and they get labeled with the row (A-D across two patchbays, one for outputs from synths/mixer and sends, the other for returns and mixer inputs) and jack number. Cables get labeled the same way, on both ends (get the industrial vinyl labels so they stick). I’ve got a USB patchbay as well, with everything run to it and then to the hubs on my Bome Box, which is labeled with names (there’s a bit more room) — makes it easy to unplug something from the Bome and plug it into my laptop for updates, etc.