Akai S5000 question

I have a sample on my akai s5000… is there a way to run that sample thru an effects pedal, back into the s5000 to resample with the effect?

It’s been a very long time since I used a s5000 but I don’t remember being able to resample internally.

you can do it on an emu as demonstrated here - they sample the 808 then play it from the sampler through the desk and back into the emu a few times.

i assume you can do the same on the akai. just set it up and trigger it while sampling the sound and it should work. probably same type of process as the emu. haven’t used an akai sampler in ages so can’t get into specifics but i assume it’s same as sampling anytihng. the layer you want to play through the pedal should still be there active.
might take some trial and error to figure out so you’ll just have to give it a go.

1 Like

Internal resampling means the signal never leaves the box. OP is asking about sending the signal out for processing then back in to resample.

1 Like

That is correct, I might have worded it wrong… vegeta897 … that’s exactly what I was trying to type :slight_smile:

I’ve tried a few different ways - just getting feedback loop of the sound…

its what they do in the above video i posted w/the emu. i think it’s a common thing for samplers to do this… play a sample while recording… but i could be wrong…

load a program on the akai… set it up so you can trigger it w/a keyboard or whatever… then go into sample mode or whatever it’s called… set it up to auto trigger recording… play your sample through your fx pedal… see if it records.

it does, but what it is doing is playing the original sample and the fx one, causing feedback

So essentially it’s playing my clean sample and the fx sample at the same time when I try sample

have you tried not monitoring the output? or maybe monitoring through headphones? there’s gotta be a way to assign things to different outputs so the live sampling process isn’t coming out the same output the sample is playing through. s5000 has more than 2 outs yeah?

assign the sample to a different output. leave the live sample output to the main stereo outs so it won’t feedback into the FXchain/sampler recording process.

1 Like

Well I have 8 outputs… I assign the orignial sound to go out #3… then back into the inputs… it still throws that signal back to ouput #3… I can’t seem to figure out how to send the return back just do another output… my case 1 and 2 going to my mixer… you can do waht you said in the multi screen, but you can’t record while in the multi screen… multi screen is basiclaly a big mixer, and some other features… I found a record source option let me look it up in the manual

1 Like

there should be a way to set the outputs to monitor when recording. if you make those outputs differen than the outs the sample is playing from then you wont have that sound feeding back in a loop.

the other option is just to record the output of your pedal to your computer or some other device then load it on the sampler.

1 Like

it says this in the manual… not near the machine so I’m having issues understanding it…

record source has many options but this one may be it

output 1/1… allows you to record the ouputs of the sample. in this way you record a sound with effects as new sample… but this requires an effects board in the s5000 i have the effects board - but it says nothing about external effects

ok in the program menu, I think I think I can set the outputs of the sounds… I will try this tomorow

perhaps i’m still not htinking clearly but i don’t thhink it will work… I can say set my sample of the snare to out of output 3… then output 3 to fx, then fx back into the inputs… it’s still going to play the original snare sound over top the fx version

you’re confusing me here…

you’re trying to record/sample the snare after it gets processed by the effects pedal right?

so, what do you mean it’s going to play the snare over the top of the fx version?

once you get it recorded then that’s your new sample. you can delete the unaffected snare from the program and use the processed version. you just have to set it up in a keygroup and assign it as you desire. it’s not going to automagically replace the dry unprocessed snare sound.

unless i’m confused about what you’re trying to do?

sorry… ok I play the snare from my s5000 it goes out of my input 3… into the effects pedals, then back into the inputs of the s5000… there for it’s creating a feedback loop… cause it’s playing both the original snare and the new processed one… this is typical in any deviced that is hooked up this way you get feedback loops.

I’m not trying to be rude, but it can’t be more clear… i’m trying to play a sample from my s5000, into an affects pedal then re-recorded with the s5000 with the effects applied… look up a bit at what vegeta said… english isn’t my native language sorry

so out of the s5000, into the input of fx, out the out on the fx, into the input of the s5000… causes nasty feed back loops

I understand what you’re trying to do. I don’t have an S5000 but after looking at the device and skimming the manual, can’t you just assign your sample to one of the extra outputs, as in not the main output that you’re hearing, and route that to your FX?

Edit: Sorry, I didn’t see the comment where you already tried that. Give me a moment…

Which output are you using to listen to the S5000? The headphone jack should not be including output #3. If you’re plugged into the main LR outputs (1 & 2) it definitely shouldn’t include #3. Just for the sake of sanity, what if you try assigning the snare to output #7 or something? Don’t even connect it to anything yet. Do you still hear it in the main mix of the S5000?

Actually… with a little playing around… I managed to get it to work… pretty much what you said - and it kinda works - though it’s very clunky… just because of the UI of the s5000… it’s great for chopping and recording and such - just takes a bit of setting up to resample back into it… it’s almost a hassel :slight_smile: thought I still love the s5000… curious, with an octratrack would I beable to use fx sends alot easier?

On the OT it will work like this:

1. Send one or more tracks to the cue outs (instead of the main outs)
  2. Record (or/and use live) what’s coming back through inputs C/D on another track

I do this all the time to incorporate some stomp boxes.

this seems much simpler… is there a video showing this?

Mod Edit :

Double Posted Question Summary

I got it working, I am able easly resample with fx on OT, but how do i apply the effects comming in on input CD? from another device my keyboard?

so far i am able to send and play with the fx, but i can’t seem to resample a sample with the applied effect

refer here instead for the follow up q

@momodig use existing threads please or try not to post the same question in multiple places, it’s probably off-topic here