AFX disciples

If I had to say which one is my favourite, I would say Stian Gjevik (EOD/CN), because he is really good building melodies and, although he is a huge fan of Aphex, has his own style and techniques.

3 Likes

I only discovered him a couple of years back, from looking at Flashbulb’s recommendations.
Really glad I did. Highlights for me are Myam James Vol. II and more recently I’ve been listening to this one:

He’s got a proper ear for catchy riffs but can do engaging weird stuff too.

Edit: On the Rephlex sound. I really enjoyed how much those artists influenced each other in a noticeable way. At the time, I think it gave me inspiration to really let rip with melodic stuff when I first started recording (and add a light LFO wobble to some of my synth lines :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

so many great recommendations in this thread!

1 Like

3 Likes

:ok_hand:

4 Likes

Can anyone really copy AFX though?

1 Like

the term afx disciples is kinda cringe

5 Likes

I find the religious character of the word correct, it is a kind of prophet. :eye:
And I’m sure that we should not see anything pejorative in the origin of the subject of discussion.

1 Like

Mentioned above but enthusiastically seconded and here’s a link

2 Likes

2 Likes

interesting listening to this thread.

there’s a clear distinction (imo) of afx copycats and “disciples”

the best tracks that tilt the hat are the ones with some unique personality/ideas of their own, only a few of the artists in this thread achieve that. not gonna name names.
some just sound like they’re trying too hard/obviously to emulate and that’s a bit boring/cringe.

2 Likes
1 Like

For those who don’t know, this is “Rich”-ard D James and Mike Paradinas/μ-ziq… not exactly “disciples” of AFX, more like “actually the same person and his friend”.

3 Likes

Thanks guys for the RX-101 recommendation. How could I miss this…

2 Likes

Sorry for any confusion caused. In case it wasn’t clear, my recommendation was a slightly off topic response to @korpinen’s recent discovery of µ-Ziq, not a claim that Mike & Rich were AFX disciples. Although now you mention it, it would be very AFX of AFX to be a disciple of AFX. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

AFX covered a ridiculous amount of styles and has prolific output.
AFX + The artists on Rephlex is Braindance. Any braindance that skews acid automatically gets the “afx copycat” tag and I’m not sure thats fair.

3 Likes

yeah it’s not fair and totally subjective.

i’ve been loving and listening to this Braindance crap for over 25 years so am filled with pre emptive cynicism, bitterness and scepticism about anything given that label. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Another cool artist in this style is Brainwaltzera.

2 Likes

euphemism of the century

1 Like

Let’s go back…

1 Like