Adam Jay Electro Album for 2020

back in Nov, Jamie Lidell used a few tracks from this album on his Hanging Out With Audiophiles podcast.
He used Discrete Event (his own little edit of it), Reaction Chamber, and Waveguide:

8 Likes

@AdamJay Your album is very very dope. It’s in fact exactly the kind of sound I was looking for lately. Does your label plan a physical release?

BTW, how do you mix your tracks? I’ve seen the list of the boxes used on each track, but do you multitrack them in a DAW? Asking because your sound is so detailled and rich, I love it!

2 Likes

The more I listen to this album, the more I love it!
Let me know if you do some physical support for this :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been working like a madman lately, and your album on repeat + a solid amount of coffee are the last elements keeping me from collapsing any minute now.

1 Like

3ygk-k5m7 used! Thank you so much @AdamJay, you’re an inspiration. And you write great music.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words!
Neither the label or I have any desire for a physical release.

I do multi-track the instruments in separately. For A4, AK, Digitone, I did not use Overbridge. Only recording their stereo outputs.
I use a MOTU Ultralite MK4 with an old MOTU Traveler MK1 going in through ADAT. This gives me 16 inputs into Ableton Live (version 9 was used for this album). And the MOTU can operate with stability at very low latencies, so I am able to record the main arrangement with some software processing in realtime.

I’m a big fan of the Kush REDDI tube bass DI plug-in. I used to own a REDDI hardware tube DI that was gifted to me by the owner of A-Designs and I think Kush really nailed the sound.
Kush Omega 458a is another plug-in I use often that brings dull sounds to life. Audio Damage EOS2 reverb is my preferred reverb plug-in. Plate reverb is crucial for a crisp percussive sound.
These are all 3 very affordable plug-ins ranging from $29 to $59 each.
Otherwise it’s just a good bit of EQing and compression in Ableton.

It helps that I’ve been using the same Genelec 8030a monitors since 2006. I know them very well and have mixed thousands of tracks on them between my own productions and other contract work. I can work very fast now that I know these monitors so well. It’s obvious to me when things sound wrong and I don’t have to strain to hear what needs to be corrected.

The best advice I can give to anyone is get a pair of monitors that you’ll be able to grow into and have for the rest of your life, and really get to know them. Also, don’t be afraid to record your arrangement at a high volume and really rock out! But when it comes to the final mix, do it at a low listening volume.

15 Likes

I’ve used : nyv2-euk6

Thanks very much Adam!

1 Like

zkr6-uyzm Used !

Second listen in a row ! Enjoying it !

1 Like

Great work @AdamJay!!

1 Like

This album artwork seemed to be made for a cassette, though ^^

1 Like

Yea, I dunno what to tell you, other than that was merely a coincidence.

The concept of the album is about how we generate so much data in our lives, our ventures, our creative processes. And so much of it goes unused, and doesn’t find its way into anything consequential.
It makes up a small chunk of who we are and wouldn’t exist without us, and has value there, but ultimately dies in the process of trying to create something that exists with some sort of meaning.
Nothing is permanent, everything is temporary.

And so the thought of a physical version of this expression is antithetical to this concept.

4 Likes

Proper electro from a data scientist!

1 Like

used this one, thanks a lot for sharing!

1 Like

Funnily enough, I read last week a French comic book on this subject: it’s called “Préférence Système” (from Ugo Bienvenu) the background of which is a future society where it has become necessary to make some space on the Cloud. Typically, to make it possible for YouTubers to host their pointless recipes for fingernails colors or whatever, a service is charged to classify data as disposable (and so goes movies such as “2001 Space Odissey” and other “obsolete” culture).

Another excellent comic book (“The Private Eye”, by Brian K. Vaughan) goes from the point where encryption has been suddenly annihilated and everyone’s life was exposed, from mails to internet navigation history, resulting in everyone quitting internet and wearing masks…

I am fascinated/obsessed with the idea of the society collapsing. And am frequently toying with the idea of what we would be really missing with no internet. What kind of data/communication we would really miss? What should be absolutely saved?

Very interesting themes, IMO.

2 Likes

thanks for the code … km2f-u69y

looking forward to a proper listen later tonight :sunglasses:

1 Like

Good ideas, the concept of permanence is a made-up one in the first place knowing what we do about our matter-based reality. Same with the idea of any sort of objective “meaning,” meaning is created on a moment-to-moment basis and is experienced rather than established. I don’t necessarily think a work of art dies in the process of trying to create meaning, I think as an “experience of meaning” art can actually meet with success. In fact, I think your latest album does succeed at this for me personally at least.

In a subversive attempt to create meaning of my own, maybe I’ll have a copy of your cd art printed, burn it to a disc, make a nice tidy professional looking job of it, shrink wrap, and place it into a 55 gallon drum that I fill with high pressure concrete. It will then be buried 25 feet down on my property. Probably last a few thousand years at minimum I’d guess!

3 Likes

Finally gave this a listen. Really enjoyed it! Love how simple yet engaging it is.
I have been trying to keep it simple for years, seems to be the bane of my life. Just a drum machine and a few synth lines. Is all thats needed. Great stuff!

1 Like

Have you ever mixed/mastered any other artists projects before?

Yes.
I get a fair bit of mastering work.

I’ve mastered tracks by Mike Parker, LA-2A/Ambivalent, Boshke Beats label, Andrei Morant, Shawn Rudiman, Woody McBride, Justin Berkovi, Paul Mac, among others.

I mix + master just about all of Noncompliant aka DJ Shiva’s tracks.

3 Likes

Rite on. Not to derail your topic but what are your usual rates/ pricing?
How is it broken down?
Asking because my current project has been making good progress so I need to start planning out my mixing/mastering.
Feel free to message me if you want to get into more specifics or if you’re ok with replying here.
Or if it’s even a consideration.