About Digitakt

Digitakt looks nice but I already bought OT mk II. I don’t understand why Elektron didn’t make OT like DT. Did they think it was kinda cannibalism?

I don’t own a DT but it looks has better looking GUI and more intutive. Most of all, the sound and FXs seem better. Also colors look better(even the display’s).

I can’t afford DT and if I can I like to add more syth(there are so many fine and affordable ones nowadays) so I’m just wondering if OT can upgrade at least FX by firmware or OS.
If the system was made firmly by chips hardwired I can’t expect, but Elkectron did conditional trigs by OS update so I have some hope.

What do you think?

I think that the DT and OT are aimed at different users. One is intuitive, fast, and simple. The other is much more involved.

For FX, you can get an stand alone pedals and wire them into the OT

You can’t change the methodology of the OT and have it still be an OT. For the mk2, it had to be appeasing to the people wanting to purchase/upgrade while also not grating the OTmk1 users.

The OT is an awesome device- I’m on my third now- and it still impressed me.

Though- I favor the DT more

They somehow managed to squeeze this nice surprise into the last few free bytes of the firmware and intregrated it clever into the ui. But there is no hope for FX Upgrades, as the MKII is not an OT2 with newer and more capable DSPs but only a UI makeup version of the original. If you want better FX, use the cue out for sends.
And honestly, the FX aren’t great, but fine and fully plockable.

The DT is another piece of gear. Way easier, not a tenth of the capabilties and only plays and captures short (compared to OT) mono samples.
It is a fine little thing, though, especially the reverb.

Choose wisely :man_teacher:

I would say - master what you have. Nothing beats that. If you can master OT, you can do everything DT does and the colour of the display nor the quality of FX does not really matter.

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies. I think I need to save money for FX pedals. Strymon reverb, delay, and Zvex lo-fi effecters look so fine.

To get started (if youre low on budget like you say) you can also try Stompboxes before investing in dedicated, superior - but expensive - Pedals. They offer plenty of effects in one single Box at an attractive Price Point. Things like the “Line 6 M5” should also be of decent quality - while still giving you plenty of Effects to choose from. I think this enhanced the OT quite well in certain areas and should get you covered for a couple of Months.

I’ll certainly +1 the effects pedal route. I love my OTMk2 but the effects leave me a bit cold; I’m a massive pedal guy so having those tools ready to go have saved my effects bacon on a number of occasions.

Even something like a Boss DD7 and RV6 (both of which you can pick up for less than £100 if you look on eBay) can be run in full stereo and sound amazing. I kinda regret selling my RV6 despite having all the Strymon big-box effects.

Get pedals! It’s good for the soul.

3 Likes

Thanks umonox and Waves I’ll check them. In here Korea there are’nt so many people using analog vintage stuff but enough for guitars so I think it isn’t hard to find pedals.

1 Like

With all the criticism I have for Octa, I don’t think the sound or FX are somehow worse than any other Elektron or other contemporary hardware beatmachine. Despite what some say. So many ppl are spending their time, reading the hardware specs and watching internet reviews of the new gear and worrying that they don’t have the latest and greatest. It’s a different mindset, not focused on music.

7 Likes

instead of worrying about the gear, better join this and make all of us to go wowsers on your bass line:
https://www.elektronauts.com/t/its-a-conspiracy-the-track-challenge

3 Likes

I sometimes borrow pedals from my guitar pedalboard to send the Digitakt through overdrives, distortions, reverb, tape delay etc. That works really well and adds a different flavor. In that process, I rediscovered my Zoom G5 which I had stored away in a closet…for a quick and dirty change in FX flavours, it works fairly well also.

I concur.
Effects are just that… effects. If you are relying on effects to make your music shine, well, that opens up an interesting debate.
I have been using the Octatrack for about 3 years now, I never use the gatebox reverb, the spring reverb is fun in the right places, and the Dark reverb is pretty cool once you find your personal sweetspots. The delay is awesome, the chorus is gorgeous on external sound sources, I use the LOFI more than I should, the filters are excellent.
It was the same with the EMX1, if you wanted a really ‘lush, swimming in reverb’ sound, then the onboard reverb was kinda not there, but if you wanted to add space to a sound, the onboard reverb was totally fine. It did not hinder the capabilities of the EMX1 for making music at all.
Octatrack is no different.

3 Likes

Thanks River.

Nowadays I’ve been charmed by DT and some FX gears. You are so right about OT’s effecters. I really like some of them and know need to train the other. Especially I’m interested in “lofi” and the effecter in OT is not so easy. I also know there are other ways make sound retro with “lofi”, and I enjoy them. Now I like to try that in the OT so thanks again.

1 Like