Ableton Live 11

just to confirm this works :sunglasses:

one you adjust the quantise you need to retrig the clip to hear the time shift.

the quantise range is fairly sparse though, would be nice if the range was extended further like 1/64, 1/128 etc

1 Like

Anyone using Comping function as work flow?

When IĀ“m jamming I do it over a 16 bars loop and just keep recording on all tracks.

After the jam IĀ“m going into the comping lanes to find the best runs and make variations and copy the lanes out in the Arrangement.
It works OK for me, but I would love some kind of feature to lay/spread all the lanes out horizontal in the arranger mode.
As Track 1, lane 1,2,3ā€¦ The same for track 2, track 3ā€¦ and so on.

Is that possible,? any short cut functions available?

This is easy to just drag the lane files out into separate tracks, right?

Also, have you experimented with the looper plug-in in Ableton? Thatā€™s pretty powerful and allows you to create loops with lengths independent of your arrangement/session loop length.

1 Like

Yeah I guess you are right.
I was just searching for an easier way, cause if I have multiple tracks and every track has 8 lanes or more the editing gets a bit immense.

I love comping, itā€™s my favourite feature in Live 11. Not using it in the traditional sense to achieve a clean take. I use it to come up with really unique loops, fusing elements of 5-10 clips into one, then using compression, saturation, EQ, reverb and delay to gel it together. Have made some really interesting background textures, percussion loops and even basslines this way

15 Likes

I use mostly hardware synths so Iā€™ve used my colored collections for FX types. Itā€™s pretty simple. Orange is currently software synths I do use sometimes and Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™m using red for. I havenā€™t labeled those two because Iā€™m not sure how I want to organize them exactly. Itā€™s a work in progress but I like it well enough.

Character FX is things like Saturation, tape plugins, odd FX. Things that fit multiple categories have multiple color labels.

Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 11.22.17 PM

I also use my User Library ā€œTemplatesā€ folder for storing track presets in a self made tree structure. Also pretty simple.

8 Likes

Iā€™m still waiting for a ā€˜eurekaā€™ moment with organising.
Having to go between ā€˜Audio Effectsā€™ and ā€˜Pluginsā€™ is a split second pain in the arse, and I donā€™t like how it separates them mentally. I also have some M4L plugins that live in that folder that I forget about.
Thatā€™s the biggest issue I have, forgetting about the plugins I like because of the architectureā€¦ I do this a lot with the Soundtoys stuff, and Arturia FX collection plugs that feel buried.

Itā€™s a small complaint overall, just a qol thing that Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll fix.

3 Likes

just use the favourites tabs as @airpopcrack mentioned.

I have the plugins I use frequently in the first tab. n my favourite instruments in another.
done.

tbh I only did that a few weeks ago. no idea how long the favourite tabs have been around, never considered em at all before.

The color thing works well for me. I like to limit myself to a few plugins at a time.

Red is my production plugs I use when making tracks
Orange is for mix/processing I use less frequently

These 2 are the most important, I try and have everything in Red, and also try and have it small enough I dont need to scroll.

Most of the stuff in red are presets Iā€™ve made as sensible defaults, vs just the plugin itself. So like EQ has a high pass at 100hz, Glue has typical glue compressors settings, side chain compressor has its settings for aggressive, reverb is set to high quality and everything else off etc

I also have a template set that works for me, all the busses set up how I like em, plugs I like on the master etc. I also have defaults/templates for audio and midi tracks, simpler etc. Like everything gets an eq and utility at -8dB. I can just turn em off if I dont want them but most of the time I do.

1 Like

Oh yeah if you look at the end of abletons manual theres a cheat sheet for all its short cuts, its worth trying to remember them. I need to set them as my desktop bg or something.

1 Like

Yes, I know, and Iā€™m doing something similar atm, I just havenā€™t defined the categories/names in a way that helps with workflowā€¦ I have a tendency to want to tag random items (samples/loops, an fx setting, etc) with a right click and colour assign, then eventually I have zero order to whatā€™s under each colour. :upside_down_face:

I sometimes think being able to colour-code the main folders themselves might helpā€¦ but then I appreciate the simplicity of it as is.

Iā€™d also add that of all the new gear/devices/software Iā€™ve adopted over the last 18 months, Ableton Live 11 is the best decision I made by a country mileā€¦ and it blows me away that Iā€™m still figuring new functions out on a weekly basis that I use.
Shift+Apple+D is a recent discovery/revelation for me.

2 Likes

whatā€™s shift apple D do?

:slightly_smiling_face:

Duplicate Time
Unlike regular Duplicate, it doesnā€™t overwrite anything that follows the duplicated clips/notes. Instead it duplicates into newly created ā€˜timeā€™.

3 Likes

ah so it pushes the following elements forward too?

1 Like

Yep, and Delete Time brings the following events forward.

I wish these ā€˜ā€¦Timeā€™ commands would work on a per-track level.

Have a look at Editor keys. They make some great keyboard overlays and actual keyboards with all the shortcuts on the keys.

They have Ableton but others as well.

2 Likes

I can highly recommend these guys, sometimes they have refurbs on their eBay store too, I got my wired Ableton keyboard for 26 quid deliveredā€¦

ah interesting :slight_smile:

Happened to come across this Max4Live device that helps integrate DT/DN/ST and ableton. Havnā€™t tried it yet but thought that it might be of interrest for other fellow Elektronauts

https://maxforlive.com/library/device/8328/maquereau?fbclid=IwAR02bvtF1QDS5zIaKmzjiRxBl0E9XB7gr1xUZ0-_nhRTMzL9csUAwZ6snrs

4 Likes

Yeah, still fine-tuning this categorisation sorta stuff but Iā€™ve enjoyed having one called ā€˜sound sourcesā€™ - means I can round up stock instruments, plug-ins and M4L instruments, even sample folders that Iā€™m most excited about