Ableton Live 11

Is there an unofficial guide to 11, with example files, a bit like the MPC bible series?
I’m looking for something written I can use without internet connection on a week away.
Got the official manual.

2 Likes

Does anyone have a good plugin organisation system in Ableton that they’re happy with and would feel proud to share? :upside_down_face:

I feel like I need a better system for quickly accessing the plugins I use regular, and to keep it focussed… any ideas welcome.

I recommend this book in addition to the manual:

I have both the kindle version and hard copy :joy:

11 Likes

For me, splitting out into the Instrument, FX, Sequencer/Arpeggiator categories and sticking with my top 5 or so of each or top 2 per type of instrument, uninstalling anything I never really use or at very least removing it from the colored category.

I just use the coloured favourites system, currently using all the slots, one for my DIY racks, FX plugs, instrument plugs, drumracks, m4l devices, one exclusively for native instruments stuff and one for korg gadgets and another for utilities like mastering chains etc… I wish they would expand it to be honest so I could get even more forensic with it…

2 Likes

It’s also available for free as a PDF on the Ableton website…

1 Like

And to finish it :slight_smile: Here is the link :

4 Likes

Glad they made this PDF free. FWIW, the hardcover is extremely nice - perfect size and a nice fit/finish. If you have the $ and find the PDF helpful, definitely buy it. Worth it for yourself and to support Dennis Desantis.

4 Likes

Yeah I bought the hard cover originally then sold it after reading it, wish I hadn’t now tbh honest but the pdf is way more portable and there’s nothing worse than a scruffy book imho :sweat_smile: all mine look like they’ve never been read…

1 Like

I keep trying to organize them with the colored labels, to make them easier to find on the Push, but on the Mac I always just use search. Fast, and all accessible from the keyboard.

You’re just using them wrong :wink:

12 Likes

is there a follow action that plays audio/midi clips off beat? I don’t like messing with the start and end markers. I assumed this would be easy to do, but I can’t seem to find any info. thanks in advance

You can offset tracks negatively and positively if you highlight the small D in the bottom right of th session view window other than that I’ve not come across it…

2 Likes

I thought about using track delay but that requires trial and error. I’m looking for an automatic way of quantising it whilst directly recording to the arrangement view.

I mean “on-beat” has a specific value but “off-beat” could be any value in-between, no?

Sure, I was hoping there would be a series of follow actions that you could choose to set how offbeat you want your loop to be placed within a bar. Perhaps I’m asking too much, seemed like an obvious feature to me.

Doable with Max for Live I think.

1 Like

I couldn’t find any m4l device to do it, the maul says the best way to achieve it is with launch quantisation…

1 Like

Thanks for your help, this looks to be what I was looking for, although I couldn’t find any quantise follow action drop-down menu when I last checked. Will try again later today and report back.

You’re welcome man…:+1:

1 Like