Ableton Live 11

You should just have to click on the spot in the arranger (maybe double click?) and it should play from that spot.

It’s all muscle memory to me, I’m not home but I’ll try to get home for lunch and give it a shot.

Now that you mention muscle memory… I think the thing that actually took me the longest to get used to in Ableton’s arranger is the different functionality you get from clicking in different vertical regions of the timeline. I don’t think I could tell you off the top of my head what those regions are or what they do; it’s basically all muscle memory!

1 Like

That works to play from there but as soon as I hit Space to stop and then Space again to play, it starts from 1.1.0 again. Super annoying.

It’s either shift or cmd/ctrl + space to play where you left off I think.

At the top of the bar you can also click to add the start arrow:

2 Likes

Anybody let into the beta yet?

Thought there’d be some interest for this here…

The new video where Hollow Ground Productions breaks down production techniques of Max Cooper is great. Really nice to see Output’s Portal featured throughout.

How to Make Music Like Max Cooper

Does anybody know where the ‘Rotating Rhythm Generator’ is in Live 11 Suite? I don’t see it under MIDI Effects or anywhere else.

It’s in this pack

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I found it thanks to you.

1 Like

Also that symbol in the top right in the middle, when activated activates looping.
If you highlight an area by dragging with the mouse and pressing command L it’ll loop that area.

Also that thing a little above the blue clip (between 1 and 9 on the playhead area thing) can be dragged to choose where to loop.
In fact I’m not sure if the left most arrow in said thing is where the play begins but like others have said it’s become second nature I’ve been using it that long!

No :frowning:

1 Like

The manual has a good explanation of the options for choosing where to play back from.

The section after that on Locators is worth skimming too

2 Likes

Ableton folks who use Live live… :wave:

Has anyone got experience of using both Session and Arrangement view for live sets (with live instruments too ftw)?? (Edit- I don’t mean at the same time btw! I mean playing gigs using Session, then playing other gigs using Arrangement…)

I’m figuring out a set at the moment, and using Arrangement, but I really like the idea of being able to have certain points looped for improv sections on the fly… so was thinking of converting the 7 tracks I’m playing into a Session set.

So, I’m particularly interested to hear from people who’ve tried both ways and switched to give thoughts on it, and pros and cons. :v:

Does anyone have, or know of cheatsheets for Ableton Live? Maybe all the keyboard shortcuts in a PDF or Word doc, etc. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Ableton has a nice list in the documentation: Live Keyboard Shortcuts — Ableton Reference Manual Version 11 | Ableton

Maybe not a cheat sheet but pretty compact and comprehensive, as well as being broken down by topic.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s exactly what I was looking for!

I actually ‘print-screened’ the Keyboard Shortcuts from the PDF manual (Page 845) to JPEGs, but it’s kinda messy.

1 Like

Speaking of shortcuts. I’m still struggling with this, isn’t there a shortcut for the stop button?
I want to double click stop, to play from the beginning of the Arrangement, using the keyboard only. It works with the mouse but I just don’t understand how to do it with the keyboard…

*solved it with the Key Map mode! but still think it’s weird if there isn’t a default command to play from beginning?

That is weird.

I’m just now getting familar with the Key and MIDI Map modes.

Cannot believe I waited this long to update to Live Suite. I love it.

1 Like

Space to stop, then FN+Left(Mac) or Home (Win) to move the Insert Marker to the beginning, then press Space to start.

2 Likes