Ableton co-founder Robert Henke thinks we should bring back CDs

He’s said that vinyl is unsustainable, and that we might reconsider CDs.

I practical terms it makes sense, but isn’t he missing the point? Vinyl is popular because it’s cool, analog, the record players and records look great, and the sleeves are nice and big with lovely pictures.

CDs might sound “better”, but they don’t have any of the other attributes.

I wonder if vinyl can ever really be sustainable though?

6 Likes

I don’t think so. I think that’s the background against which he’s commenting, and he’s likely very conscious of it.

Anyway, the rest of your points I agree with.

Personally, I have stopped buying new vinyl for environmental reasons. I’ll trade 2nd hand. I’m avoiding dealing with international post personally, because of Brexit, but the environmental burden is 2nd on the list for me.

I love records, and have about 6-700. I DJ a bit, but use digital more often. I’m hoarding all my CDs in those ugly CD wallet things, and recycling jewel cases as soon as any new ones come into the house.

What’s so uncool about a CD? I prefer them over vinyl. Unless it’s for sampling :star_struck:

7 Likes

I realised a lot of my aesthetic dislike of CDs was really a dislike of jewel cases. Some of the card sleeve CDs I have are pretty much on a par with a lot of vinyl for beauty.

I haven’t given up vinyl entirely but I’m very choosy about the things I buy on it now. The sustainability cost is a big part of that.

5 Likes

That’s a great point. I had an old Money Mark EP with a cardboard cover and I loved it. I probably still have it somewhere.

2 Likes

Still patiently awaiting the minidisc revival…

30 Likes

One of his albums is in my “I will sell this when I can be bothered” box. Another of them is never leaving me.

2 Likes

i never stopped buying them. have never bought an MP3 or subscribed to any of the garbage streaming services

11 Likes

Because I made the decision the other way, I support your decision to do it your way. I think this is how we best solve climate issues. There’s no one solution that will work everywhere.

1 Like

Those things were amazing. Looked really cool too.

2 Likes

Ill think most vinyl collectors are very careful with their collection. Why is a record such a deal when it comes to sustainability? I can think of thousands pf other real junk products that humanity can ditch first.

7 Likes

The chemicals needed to make them are pretty grody. But you’re right, there are plenty. of other things that are as bad or worse, and that sell in much larger volume.

2 Likes

like someone mentioned in the comments , I’ve never heard of cd’s lasting longer than records… ever…

6 Likes

I dont trust all that “buying” shenanigans about music, neither vinyl or CD actually.

“Check out my record collection” sounds way cooler than, “check out my CD collection” :laughing:

3 Likes

Like for example the new iPhones people buy each year again to play these MP3’s :dizzy_face:‍:dizzy:

1 Like

What is the point in bringing back CD’s as they’re digital, redundant and lame anyways? Aren’t files more sustainable?

5 Likes

I’ve had the coating on a lot of old CDs disintegrate and become unusable which makes me not trust them as a medium. I’d rather have digital lossless than CD.

9 Likes

It would be interesting to see an ecological comparison between streaming and running servers versus various forms of physical media.

19 Likes

It was calculated that if you listen to an album more than 27 times on a streaming service, physical media is better. Revised numbers say 5 hours streaming equals the plastic used, vinyl record is said to be 17 hours

I have albums over 50 year old or older, even way back to some 78’s that are really old, even without my listening added to the playtime I’m sure they have gotten way more than 17 listens

Since cds have been abandoned more, more iffy shelf life and perhaps more of a chance to be discarded, vinyl holds up well long term

Streaming is HUGE and doing more damage overall

This may decrease a small degree with more electronic efficiency but use will also probably go up by then

18 Likes