Ableton and digitakt without over bridge

Since overbridge is still not working. I was wonder about your workflow around this. I tend to make patterns on ableton and then record them track by track into ableton. Main issue is latency. How do you guys generally go about that. I tend to record 16 bar loops. And use a portion and quantize that more or less. Usually I need to move the audio a bit in ableton. Using latency compensation in midi setting up is bothersome. It seems to change every day.

Overbridge has worked for me since 2019 with ableton. What doesn’t work for you?

1 Like

Big Sur? …

But that is not the question. I’m wondering how people set digitakt up in ableton. And how to manage latency.

You turn the latency down. Or enable direct input monitoring. Pretty much self-explanatory.
And with all due respect, opening a thread with “Overbridge is still not working” is not very helpful. It is misleading and just plain wrong information.

1 Like

Overbridge most certainly does work! The latency in Live will be due to your settings. Are you monitoring the same track you’re recording? If so, stop that. Then configure Live so you have as little latency as possible - to be fair it’s tricky unless you know how - and you’ll be golden.

1 Like

The best fix is an E-RM multiclock. Its a good buy only if you plan on adding more hardware. It will allow you to record track by track if you would like and have no jitter. It also compensates for latency as well. The only downside is the cost. But considering it can sync your whole studio to the DAW, it’s a valuable piece. Great option if you are adding more hardware.

A cheaper option is a USAMO box. That never worked for me as it is pretty finicky about sound cards, but it may be worth a shot.

Besides that you just deal with the latency and jitter and quantize the audio in Ableton.

No. It is not self explanatory and also there was 100% nothing misleading. Overbridge is not working on current versions of macOs. As simple as that. I guess that would have been quite easy to grasp.

No overbridge doesn’t work for macos users. Running current software. Legacy software like catalina is still supported. But that is not relevant.

I can see you’re not into constructive conversation, so I’m not going to reply beyond this post. But I’m on ‘macOs’ and it works perfectly for me.

Weird statement. Im only for constructive thinking. On how to go around the fact that OB is not working on mac. Even elektron is admitting that it doesn’t work??? So I have really no clue what you are on about

1 Like

don’t know where the problem is:

Please note that Overbridge is not currently compatible with Big Sur, macOS version 11.0. We are working on a solution, so stay tuned to our channels for more information.

and as every macOS - do not update until your vendors tell you that the software is supported.

Quick moderation note: please avoid any unnecessary arguing. Thanks all!

1 Like

Yes I’m all for that… somehow people trying to proof something. Which Im not sure of. Anyway I messed around with the settings.

What worked for me was to use digitake as an external instrument. And set the midi latency to +142ms. It really helped to use the metronome in ableton. Although I can get fooled a bit because the first kick tends to be not received by ableton.

I hope this helps anyone with a similar issue.

1 Like

overbridge is not currently supported for Mac Big Sur, I know what you meant so not sure why others are arguing…

Are you using an external sound card? if so,

you can either monitor the digitakt from the soundcard and have the channel set to off in Ableton you are recording to and you won’t need to adjust anything.

Or if you are monitoring in Ableton with channel set to in,
and adjust the midi clock in midi settings to match the latency,
the first bit of the recording will be no good as it catches up though

3 Likes

Hi Dan,
Thanks for the constructive response:)
Well I have a focusrite but I was mainly using the USB connection for audio and midi. Would you suggest to use audio cables

I’ve never used the class compliant audio/midi over USB tbh.
if you can use your soundcard and monitor the digitakt from there,
(there normally is a dial to listen before it goes into the computer)
you can set everything back to normal and you shouldn’t here any latency,
and just record into ableton with the channel set to off

1 Like

OB is simply NOT reliable.
Not a criticism, just an observation :wink:
Mac OS 10.12 Reaper
Whether anybody likes it or not should not be debated in this manner.
OP asked a simple question. Seems too complicated for some to answer in a decent way.

@arjanpetersen using DT in USB audio mode or directly tracking from mains out. Track by track or full mix out :slight_smile:
Whichever way, latency there will be :slight_smile:

1 Like

i do use overbridge, i think its amazingly good! just not class compliant usb audio.
and ive been using it for 2 years without any major problems…
Big sur and how mac changed things has caused problems for a lot of people i imagine

2 Likes

Aha… Will try direct audio tonight. I have used the USB audio. But there is quite a lot of latency. Which is annoying. Probably because of usb-c hub or something. Thanks for sugestion!

Hi,

Just another question: how do you make sure that while playing digitakt as an instrument in ableton. Just audio in. No external instrument that it is in sync with the metronome of ableton. Normally I mess with the midi latency to get it more or less right. But then still when a record it is. There is latency. Even with monitoring off in ableton. Not sure why that is happening. Any ideas?