Ableton and digitakt without over bridge

The problem with OB happens when you have instruments on your session that you want to play in realtime without feeling the latency that OB adds, for example playing beats from a controller or E-drums that demand short latency to start with.

At my default 128 Buffer size OB is already showing 22.8ms.

Taking the fact that it’s advised to enable delay compensation in Live (therefore adding latency to the whole set) the only way around is to also enable “reduce latency when monitoring”

Now, if this is enabled, tracks coming in from the digitakt need to me set to “ln” or (auto+rec) otherwise they won’t stay synced.

Now… the problem is if you want to sequence Digitakt from Ableton using a control surface like Push for example.

I’ve seen some people using the Digitakt’s 8 midi tracks to sequence other stuff like plugs or external harware, I myself do it too, but I think what I enjoy the most is sequencing the Digitak’s 8 audio tracks from Push, and keeping all my patterns in Live and using the Digitakt’s own sequencer to jam over what’s playing.
It’s like having two sequencers where one (Live) works as the main one, and the Digitakt’s more for jamming on the fly stuff, creating fills etc…

Side Note:
If you enable the performance record on the DT while jamming on Push it behaves like a overdub/replace, so when you find something you like you just disable record on the DT (or stop playing in my case from Push) and all your notes will be saved into the steps of the Digitakt. Way faster than manually adding steps or triggering it from the DT.

So this is all good except that OB latency destroys all the fun.
I mean if you don’t care about playing instruments that require short latency that’s ok… but right now I’m in a dilema where…

a) Do I accept the 22.8 ms of latency and have all the great options described above (+ the separated 8 tracks from the digitakt coming into Live)

b) Or do I forget OB and use the Digitakt as normal Stereo external instrument in order to get latency around playable values in a 128 buffer size.

Tough choice… :confused:

Anyway I’m curious if anyone here has already tried sequencing the audio tracks 1-8 DT from Push.

Let me here your thoughts guys :slight_smile:

Being able to sequence the 8 audio tracks on the Digitakt and also the ability to also sequence

overbridge installation has been a struggle on my imac. it took a while, i managed to install it, but then after updating to montery system, the problem came back. overbridge is blocked by some old uninstall error. here’s a link https://www.reddit.com/r/Elektron/comments/kgdv9j/cant_get_overbridge_to_see_digitakt/
to the discussion and steps to get overbridge to work.