A4mk2 sound quality improvement vs mk1

Is it just me or the sound quality from mk1 to mk2 is quite huge?

I’m only reacting from the recent Elektron soundcloud demos. Some tracks, like “BaT dica” really shows a great punch that i’ve always found lacking in the mk1.

I can still recognize the original a4 sound here and there though, which in my opinion is a bit flat, grainy, airy and cold… not much my first choice to be frank, and the reason i didn’t got an a4 in the first place…

So, i was wondering what actual owners of both models think. My fear is the mk2 might output more punch, clarity and juicyness, but only with very carefull programming and only at certain sweet spots… so, what’s your opinion?

Thank you!

I think it’s a huge improvement

2 Likes

You should watch @cuckoomusic 's side by side video.

3 Likes

How is it compared to the Analog Keys?

1 Like

hellcore, I watched all vids i could find so far! :slight_smile:

Cuckoo comparison is certainly usefull but didn’t really highlight differences in “quality”, rather mostly differences in seperate parameters effect on sound (eg distorsion, where it sounds like positive and negative values have been inverted… though i guess it’s a consequence of deeper tweaks on tehe hardware).
It doesn’t give an idea of what the mk2 is capable of on the juicy-punchy level i’m talking about, where the Elektron demos does (soundcloud and the short Cenk youtube presentation)

I guess it’s a bit early to ask what i’m asking, people still have to mangle around with it, but well had to try… :wink:

1 Like

In order to see the definitive difference you’d need a side-by-side waveform analysis. The videos popping up are pretty cool though. I’m sold on the A4 MKII, will probably pick one up in the next few months.

1 Like

I sure it’s a huge improvement from what I’ve heard can’t wait to have my second version of it in my hands I wait for AR MK2 to buy those at the same time

I wonder, how does the A4 MK2 compare to let’s say the Novation Peak in terms of sound quality/sound palette?

The ladder filter/overdrive has been redesigned … it’s not the AK circuit

2 Likes

Something tells me they will. I don’t know what that something is. But something’s telling me something

1 Like

Does it send and receive CV and can we make it the size of the DT, or smaller?

With a greyish black color…

If they announce an AK MK2 I won’t be able to resist.

I love my AK, and I love the screen on my OT MKII.

5 Likes

For me a AK MK2 would be interesting when it would be a 6 voice synth engine. Or even better a regular analog poly synth user interface with dedicated knobs because there is enough space for that .

5 Likes

I guess there will be sound improvements, but I just want to mention that for me playing my AK through my Eurorack system (4 voices into cv modulated filters and effects such as M.I Clouds) and then into the Analog Heat diminished my GAS.

2 Likes

Hi Dear List

I remember when I bought my AK, they said the overall bass sound was enhanced compared to the A4 mk I.

Now my question is, did they take this one step further with A4 mk II? Or is it the same as the old AK?

Best
tomas

When someone asks the same question in a 18 posts thread… :roll_eyes:

I moved the post here from a fresh thread (referencing AK which is a subtle enhancement on same design) … the poster might have tried a few different search terms rather than starting a new one, but anyway, they’ll get the info above now :thup:

1 Like

Now that makes sense, thanks for letting me know, @avantronica . My apologies to @TheFlowerKings for misunderstanding, then

4 Likes

So does anybody have both units and can comment on sound difference ?
I’ve heard a couple of demos but its hard to tell not having both machines to compare.
Im just curious cause i was thinking about a second A4 and … maybe just maybe i will succumb to the temptation :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve owned the A4 MKI and have the A4 MKII and it’s night and day. the A4 was a mediocre synth with a lot of cool features for sound design, and now the MKII is a MONSTER synth with all that same functionality. One big thing I found on the MKI is the sub oscs could sound a bit floppy sometimes. It’s nice and tight on the MKII. Can get some INSANE bass out of it now with little effort.

4 Likes