A4 voices have gone silent

So… all 4 voices on my A4 have gone silent, yet the External In/Effects still work fine. Checked everything I can think of, tried a factory reset. About to redo the firmware.

Any ideas? Was sending it random realtime patch morphs from an editor when the display started to lag out, after which it has remained silent.

Edit: Self test is showing all fine.

Edit edit: Firmware reflash did nothing to help.

https://soundcloud.com/hellcore/a4pattern-just-a-diagnostic

https://soundcloud.com/hellcore/a4extin-fx-just-a-diagnostic

First is factory pattern A07… There is actually something going on, but it’s beyond my hearing range!

Second is Ext In and FX working just fine.

Totally stumped. A bit gutted really.

weeeeirddd.

• happens with all presets too?

• which editor? was it still plugged to A4 when you performed the different trials?

Yeah, all presets, all user patches, inits etc.

I was using Hyakken’s MaxMSP based editor via USB, lots and lots of NRPN stuff going on as I was using the patch morpher/sequencer on every track.

Good news though… I had totally forgotten about the calibration routine… Cenk reminded me and this seems to have fixed the voices. Still concerned as what made it happen though as I was planning on using the patch morphing for some live work. :expressionless:

probably the MIDI from the max patch got messed up, either inside your computer, or on the way to the A4, or in the A4.

some garbled data was then likely interpreted as a “reset analog calibration” command by the A4.
essentially you DDOS’d your A4 :wink:

Still, it shouldn’t happen really.

yeah… well anything can break. you gotta realize that MIDI has a very limited bandwidth…
but what happened to you might be a bug in the A4…
do your A4 CV outputs work?

Yeah I realize the limitations, but a device shouldn’t accept a kill command really! :slight_smile:

About to test CV…

tell me about it!
there’s a kill command for the CVs, is why I’m asking… I accidentally triggered this some time ago. I was however snooping for responses from the A4, so I did systematically send mystery sysex messages addressed to the A4, basically asking for trouble :]
the command is probably in there for debugging purposes…

what happened to you is likely a genuine bug the more I think about it…

Just hooked CV up to the Brute and it seems fine, though I didn’t check before the re-calibration. Not sure if CV is included in that routine as I pretty much started it and went for coffee.

As for it being a bug, that was my first thought since Ext In/FX were good… there was some output from voices but I was needing 50db+ gain in my DAW to hear anything that wasn’t spiky high frequency stuff like that is in the soundcloud link.

As for random things sending kill commands, really needs to be a toggle in the globals to disable such unless you’re booting up holding Function or something. I realise there needs to be diagnostic commands but it shouldn’t be so easy to stumble on them.

Voices go silent when you plug in the wrong psu. The octatrack psu in the A4 makes the A4 boot just fine, just no sound.

Good to know, but it wasn’t that :slight_smile: