A4 + Rytm update prospects?

i recently saw an interview with rolf röhrmann (developer of quantum and iridium). he said that the newer devices, i.e. iridium and quantum, have such a high-capacity chip built in that updates could still be made in 30 years’ time. that wouldn’t work with waldorf m and neither would kyra.

but that’s not the philosophy of a small company, says Röhrmann, because the updates are free. I understand that because you have to sell to survive. these updates are an absolute bonus for customers. so not a matter of course. and at some point, a device has to be completed in order to be able to focus on a new product.

for the waldorf and iridum users, however, it should be said that many more updates will come according to the developer.

now I think it’s the same with elektron. However, I think that the allocation of updates to the individual devices should be kept in balance. because, after all, the large devices cost almost twice as much. one last update, you definitely deserve it.

even if nothing more comes, these devices are absolutely top, probably forever, like many old synthsizers. I personally enjoy the electron boxes the most. especially with the old eventide pedals like space and time factor and a DAW. hopefully elektron will bring out a polyphonic eight-voice analog synthesizer for complex pad stories, preferably with a sem filter + multifilter and resonator + phaser, chorus, flanger, delay, pitch shifter and ring modulator, separately for each channel.

1 Like

I do understand. I can see that the Digitakt and Digitone are based on the same hardware (8 voices) with digital filters, lfos etc - so adding the 2nd LFO to the Digitakt when the Digitone already had one, was clearly always a possibility. Some copy-pasting opportunities there.

However the A4 and AR, while based on the same platform, may have more dissimilar hardware, or demands on the hardware by thr software.

The cycles being used for the 2nd LFO in the A4 maybe used by one of the unique AR functions, so may not be possible.

Moving over Song Mode also would require SM on the A4/AR to be re-written, not just copy-pasted. And it already has a song Mode.

Basically, adding SM to 3x Digi boxes will increase sales.

Altering an existing Song Mode on A4/AR is unlikely to as it already has a Song Mode.

I get the OT comparison, but the OT is cult and widely discussed, the A4/AR just aren’t in the same way.

Afaik Digitone has twice the dsp power (either a beefier chip or 2x the same chip, don‘t remember what it was). IIRC there have been posts citing Digitone‘s double-dsp power as the reason why the Digitakt probably won‘t get a second lfo. In the end, hard to tell what‘s gonna happen. I love my Rytm and Octatrack combo, Analog Keys is sitting right next to them - they’re fine as they are.

Hard to tell without knowing the numbers. I get the impression especially the Rytm has gained quite a bit in popularity since the black mk2 came out. But…bubbles, you know… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This makes sense because it’s 8 stereo voices vs 8 mono voices, with 4 operators in each voice.

One might think they were abandoning the Rytm because the analog voices just weren’t iconic/widely beloved/cult enough (too muddy, bad snare and hi hats, weak toms etc) – then, they made a Digi device with an analog side entirely based on some Rytm voices. So I’m convinced that they really believe in Rytm’s sounds and thus could end up updating it. Or, they are putting all their Analog Rytm eggs in the shiny new Syntakt basket, and won’t do both. It’s really not clear where they stand on Rytm’s continued updates other than increasing the price regularly, which actually kind of gives me hope. I’d like to think they increased the price so much to pay engineers for Overbridge updates (which originally were going to be paid by subscription) and Rytm software updates. But i know that’s not always how companies owned by PE firms work.

The only problem with elektron following that line of reasoning is… Rytm owners aren’t going to buy a syntakt - no pads, no aftertouch, no pad mutes, no scenes, no performances, no sampling. People are still buying rytm over syntakt… they can still sell many Rytm with a new update.

I really really hope they give us an update with the width filter, better sample resolution, and most importantly (to me)… exponential envelopes/adjustable slopes… they’re kinda trash as is, imo.

4 Likes

OR… fml… they drop the mkIII… stereo samples, touch screen, song mode, granular sythesis, wavetables, polyphony… and shitty stiff pads.

2 Likes

For sure. Which is why i speculated two lines of reasoning there to hedge my bets, lest i be proven wrong by time and humiliated for eternity

2 Likes

I guess we will find out if the Analog Duo are profitable, not by an update, but by their longevity.

The MD and MM were both discontinued, while the OT carries on… its not outside the realms of possibility that we will see the A4/AR go the same way in the next year or 2…

While not cult now, there’s nothing like a period of discontinuation and a slew of new products to encourage a new group of influences to ‘discover’ them again, and weave a new story around them.

Here’s to 2037 when we all get to play them as perfect virtual replicas on a synthfluencers VR-cast…

1 Like

Like all, would love to see an update to both boxes. Its been long overdue.

Like many I thought the Digis update and the birth of the syntakt would have many of their respective updates carry over to the big guns…

I still think something should come out as Elektron has always been top notch regarding updates for active products. Maybe it takes some time to develop / package updates for those boxes or that the focus has shifted over products or maybe software to come.

Rytm is their most expensive box, one would think something has to be in the works to keep owners happy or bring new ones to the party…

4 Likes

My guess is that its going to be something similarto the octatrack by rewriting most of the stuff in the software to make some free place in the ram if im getting it right

1 Like

…can’t guess what the rytm could benefit from, since it’s the only one i never layed hands on…
if i hear, just one lfo and no second filter, i’d say…ooops…really!?

but i can speak for the a4…and sorry to say so, but it is what it is and that’s all it needs to be…
and will stay pretty much unique forever…what a timeless piece of gear.

and given the fact that elektron morphed into a kind of new company during all pandemic days, i hardly doubt, these two will ever see any further update efforts…

it’s a slimlined team of mostly new developers by now and half of their focus must stay with their latest baby…
while all the rest of brain power has to look forward and come up with a follow up product…

pretty convinced, if any possible new ot batches, those stay outsourced to poland and what’s actually on an assembly/production line in sweden are digis digis digis…and when i say digis, i mean mostly syntakts…

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about that too. it’s certainly not a huge team, even if they certainly earn quite well compared to other providers. elektron are hype devices, i’m pretty sure of that. everywhere you see at least one elektron device in the studio or in the home studio. I still wonder how complicated it really is to do digital updates. it’s definitely not easy.

I also wonder why elektron doesn’t just say, okay, you want some features!? paid 50 euros. I would smooth that out.

Instead of hoping for a second filter for the samples on AR, why don’t just process the samples in a DAW before loading them on the AR. I did this on the weekend for my nerdseq (processed about 30 samples, took me about 2,5h)
It was worth the hustle for sure :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure, do that all the time. Mk2 can resample, but even with an Mk1 it´s super fast via Transfer, so all cool, but sometimes you´d want to tweak some filters, no? Especially with the AR´s tendency to sprinkle a tiny bit of fairy dust over its tracks… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I saw the ST as a successor to the Machinedrum. Obviously not 1:1, but a digital drum machine with the benefit of analog voices as opposed to sampling. I could see a use case for both, but that’s a narrow market, I’d think

I have high hopes that we’ll see an Analogs update this year (hopefully in the spring rather than the autumn). Just the fact that the LED brightness needs to be adjusted to be in line with every other Elektron suggests we’ll get that at the very least, plus whatever bug fixes need to be done. But of course that could’ve been done awhile ago, which makes me think we’ll be getting something far more substantial eventually. Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

8 Likes

I hope they never get updated.

You lot moaning about it is the only thing more miserable than me.

9 Likes

I hope for a pattern length monitoring screen

Pattern length monitoring?