A4 MKII Discontinued?

Vade retro, Satana

2 Likes

…if u go down to it’s details for real and it’s truu analog sound quality, there is no such thing as competition…

only if u dare to compare it to massproduction digital wannabees…

1 Like

How on earth do you come to this conclusion. The second hand prices of the mk1 are actually fair because they are low. The mk2s are way overpriced now new. Octatrack AE is coming down too second hand. I got one which I want to use. Why one earth should we start to make investments out of music gear? So the only the rich kids can play with them? If you get an analog four mk1 for a price take that one. It sounds almost the same, the form factor is nicer and its not overpriced.

Op-1 is getting cheaper again too, all the hipsters already got one :wink:

1 Like

Oh come on…

…touche, touche…i did’nt realize u were talking about mk1 vs mk2…

in this case…i’m all with u…

and i never think in good or bad investments…but for some people here, it makes a difference…

Oh are we doing this again?

8 Likes

I’m assuming you ordered a grey A4. Elektron probably won’t be sending any more of those out other than for repairs/replacements etc. It’s all black from now until it really is discontinued. Odd that the grey OT remained in production tho.

2 Likes

I just think it‘s ok to take a premium for a really good product. But those boxes have gone out of line. I mean rytm mk2 almost 1700€ now in Europe since it‘s black. No new Machines or so no, it‘s black now😂 All I am asking is for the Community to not go that Route because Companys are testing how far they can take it. Good example is actually is the Op-1 which startet at 700€ and went all the way to 1400€. This I guess was too much because its coming down rapidly

Retailers have TONS of SKUs to keep track of. This is most likely the old typical thing that happens when there is a old version (grey) being replaced by a new version (black) and the poor dude with the 2000 page spreadsheet directly tied to the database that the website pulls from just doesn’t have the time to enter it all in and indicate it as the replacement of the grey version - I knew the guy at B&H whose job it is to keep track of all this and he is busy all the time.

I wouldn’t panic. And I’d certainly be a surprised Pikachu if black Analog series MK2 were being discontinued any time soon. Rytm can’t even keep up with demand right now.

I did a quick search on Reverb, and lots of retailers have A4 MKII new. It doesn’t look like B&H is carrying much Elektron these days. Maybe they won’t be a retailer anymore? Guitar Center and Musicians Friend (same company) only have a few Elektron things listed. I wonder if they won’t be a retailer soon, after they exhaust existing stock? Or maybe this is some sort of byproduct of their bankruptcy. Maybe they skirted out on some bills through bankruptcy?

It was a black one I ordered, and which was cancelled. They have a grey one in stock, though.

1 Like

This is about 2 retailers saying the MKII black is discontinued.

And the previous threads about the AR were similar, with retailers saying “it’s discontinued” when what they meant was that they couldn’t get stock.

Read the threads, they literally say “The store called the distributor and was told Rytm is discontinued!!”

That was August last year. Turned out to be bollocks didn’t it, they relaunched it in black with updated firmware! I would be surprised if it’s really discontinued this time

(Edited for tone so I don’t sound like such a dick)

2 Likes

Then potentially yes, it might be that again.

The manager might’ve seen the price you were offered and pulled the plug quick smart :grimacing:

But let’s be real. What’s a forum if there isn’t wild speculation?

3 Likes

They also pulled the black model from their site, which is why I did a little chin scratching. And they did this after 2 months of it being listed as on backorder. So then when I saw “discontinued” on another site, it at least added up to a relatively mild speculation that it is discontinued. And then I thought about Cenk’s words and my mild speculation turned into wild thoughts about ruining this forum.

1 Like

Oh…hmmm. That is weird, but still, weird things can happen between manufacturer and retailer. Sometimes if the synth manufacturer has a sourcing issue (which most currently do, cause of any number of parts made in China) and they send out a general “these SKUs have an unknown ETA”, the retailer, for whatever intentional or non-intentional reason, can list something as discontinued on the site. It’s a strategy that some use to avoid having to constantly tell customers that there is an unknown ETA… but ultimately, it hurts the retailer in the long run cause they’re not telling the complete story.

1 Like

That is odd. Retailers are sometimes a bit shit tho. I remember trying to get a black Octatrack from Andertons in the UK. First dude said ‘we have it’ then claimed it was an AE version. I was like ‘hello!’ Then his colleague followed up and told me that was not an option, but there was only going to be regular grey ones from now on. In the end, after much back and forth about it, I had to school them on the release of the regular black version and sent them links. They then hastily put up a badly cropped picture of it taken from the website in a moment of panic. The same shitty pictures are still on the site now haha:

Heheh, yyyyep. I’m on the other side of the pond, so I can’t say anything about Andertons, but I can say this much: if one (not you, Craig, just one in general) buys only based on price, there are retailers who will do whatever it takes to sell you one at the lowest price, even if it means having a shitty overall retail experience.

I have very little, well, actually NO $ these days to buy gear, but I love dealing with retailers who cross their Ts and dot their lower case Js and play a fair game, cause if something, God forbid, happens to the gear down the line, it’s always the “box mover” type retailers who will shrug you off and sacrifice a customer relationship to just keep on competing with price alone. I love supporting retailers who care about my shopping experience.

2 Likes