A4 mk2 and Logic pro X sync issue

I´m in the process of syncing my A4 mk2 and AR mk2 to Logic pro X so that they follow the Logic´s clock and start/stop when I press play in Logic but for some reason the A4´s seq doesn´t start from the first step of the sequence like the AR does but from the step it was on when stopped. I´ve got the midi setup similarly on both units: clock receive, transp receive and prog ch receive. What am I possible missing here?

Try changing the “Clock Mode” setting for the A4mk2/ARmk2 as shown in this Apple support document: Sync multiple MIDI devices to Logic Pro X

(This was added in Logic Pro X 10.4.5, so be sure you are updated to the latest version.)

Set the MIDI clock mode and start location

After you add destinations and set options, set the MIDI clock mode for your project. The MIDI clock mode determines how and when Logic sends MIDI clock to your destinations. Choose a mode from the Clock Mode pop-up menu that works best for your workflow and the MIDI devices you’re using:

• “Pattern” mode sends a Start command to an external device like a sequencer to start playback of a pattern on the device. Make sure to enter the number of bars in the pattern in the “Clock Start: with a pattern length of Bar(s)” field, under the MIDI Clock mode pop-up.
  • “Song - SPP at Play Start and Stop/SPP/Continue at Cycle Jump” mode sends a start command to an external device when you start playback from the beginning of your Logic song. If you don’t start playback from the beginning, a Song Position Pointer (SPP) command and then a Continue command are sent to start playback on the external device.
  • “Song - SPP at Play Start and Cycle Jump” mode sends an SPP command when you start playback and every time Cycle mode repeats.
  • “Song - SPP at Play Start only” mode sends an SPP command only when you begin initial playback.

After you set the MIDI Clock mode, you can choose where in your Logic song you want MIDI clock output to start. Choose the location (in bars, beats, div, and tics) in the “Clock Start: at position” field, under the Clock Mode pop-up.

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

I will definitely try this! Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

It worked!! :slight_smile:

What Clock Mode did you end up using?

I think it was the “Pattern mode”. My setup is temporarily down bc I´m moving house and it will be couple of weeks before I will have it back up and running. I haven´t been using any of my Elektron gear midi synced in a while because I got myself a MNM recently and have been totally immersed with it. :slight_smile: I´m pretty sure it was set so that by starting the playback from the daw it started the sequencer from the start.

Hello,

I am experiencing the same behaviour described by the original poster:

• Analog Rytm and Analog Four sync’ed to Logic.
  • when using the “,” and “.” keys on logic to jump back and forth between bars, the Rytm nicely follows. I can see the [PAGE] LEDs jump to 1:4, 2:4 and also backwards when jumping backwards.
  • But, the Analog Four always jumps to the first bar, LED 1:4.

My goal is:

• Sync Rytm and Four to Logic
  • Use logic for automation, e.g. using the “Latch” feature nicely works for recording [MUTE] changes etc.
  • being able to use logic to jump around freely in the song using “,” and “.” keys. This is especially handy on long 4-bar-patterns, where a change in bar 1 can only be heard every 4th bar. Being able to jump back a bar with “,” really improves workflow.

(The “looping a single bar” question has been discussed here:
https://www.elektronauts.com/t/looping-single-bar-in-a-4-bar-pattern/6347)

My setup is:

• Analog Rytm, OS 1.61E
  • Analog Four, OS 1.51B
  • Logic Pro 10.7.4
  • Connection to Rytm and Four using USB and Overbridge
  • Rytm and Four VST plugins both configured to “no sync”
  • Logic sync configured to “Song - SPP at play Start and Stop/SPP/Continue at Cycle jump”
  • Logic “Transmit MMC” enabled

Analog Rytm and Four sync settings (identical on both machines):

• Clock receive: on
  • Clock send: off
  • Transport receive: on

Thanks for any help!

Rodney