A4 gives me electrical shock

yes, i’m assuming it has to do with grounding, it seems to have stopped since I moved all the kit to our studio downstairs.

[http://www.jensen-transformers.com/an/generic%20seminar.pdf](http://www.jensen-transformers.com/an/generic seminar.pdf)

This might help.

1 Like

Anyone have a solution to this? I get annoying shocks from my Rytm and A4 every time I use them.

1 Like

there can be many reasons and many solutions. it´s all about physics.
your clothes, your socks, your shoes, your pets, your furniture…
when it was cold here in germany i was sitting here with that very worm and highly synthetic blanket of my grandma (RIP) and a fleece jacket… then my cats came visiting me
ouch…ouch…ouch…
no electric devices needed for that effect.
old tricks: touch something grounded with your ellbow or hit it very fast…

The problem I’m talking about is not static. The A4 and Rytm give off a constant current if you touch them in the wrong place (front corners/screws).

1 Like

Same here, and with MnM too. My laptop also does this depending on where it is plugged… Quite annoying when you ouch try to ouch type ouch a long ouch text :slight_smile:

1 Like

you should check your electric line, how its grounded. i would do ask a professional person the fix it.

1 Like

There’s no grounding on Elektron devices.

i get a shock if the A4 touches the AR…otherwise fine…not looking forward to those rainy festivals…lol

I have the same annoying problem here, but it only happens when my skin is touching my MacBook Pro at the same time …

best thing is to use grounded power supply - keep your shoes on your feet - or use hand gloves :slight_smile:

Same here, when touching the A4 / AR and my macbook air I get electrical shocks from the elektrons

It has nothing to do with static, it is due to the SMPS (shit/switched mode power supply) used for Elektron gear and many others too, laptops, low end modular power supplies, modern low end mixers, cheap hi-fi and AV gear etc.

In many products you won’t often get or notice any shocks, but on gear with conductive chassis or exposed metal parts under some conditions then you will.

Also for modular use they (smps) are inadequate unless you do not mind not getting the best from your gear, I am not a fan of them. The advantages are low cost for the manufacturer (sometimes not passed on to consumer) and they are lighter, the disadvantages are many. For some things they are ok/adequate but generally for audio gear often not IMHO if corners have been cut on the filtering side as is sometimes the case.

Edit - I generally do not have a problem with Elektron using them, aside from the annoying occasional shock.

More reading https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched-mode_power_supply

4 Likes

Any recommendation on getting a better power supply? This is driving my mad … I got my 2nd A4 now and I am still nearly always getting a really annoying electric shock mostly on the screws and the edges/corners when I touch them with my forearm or the palm of my hand … help … please. Or I just ducttape the pointy parts of the chassis but I am not feeling very confident in doing that …

Interested in a solution as well!

Btw: Is it bad for the machine? Does it damage it or something?

I have everything power conditioned straight off the wall via a Furman power conditioner and I run one of the furman power supplies/power strips from that where all the instruments plug in. I receive zero shocks.

…which is nice because I like to stand in the tub while I jam.

:droplet::scream::grin:

Worth checking your sockets in house with one of these. I did when I first moved in…

Did you experience some of those little shocks before you had the Furman?

I never had any shocks, but the electricity is sketchy in my apartment, so I had a lot of audible hum that went away with the Furman-tation. And now I rest easy plugging my gear in anywhere. When we gig we run all power from one outlet, into a two outlet furman and run two Furman power strips from there. (That’s our acoustic duo) and it keeps the PA from buzzing. When I play out alone, electronically, I have a Furman M-8Dx rack-mounted in the case with my Qu-pac, and it has a bunch of power outlets on the back… Also great for that sense of security and running all power from one outlet at the venue. I recommend Furman.

2 Likes