Jumpy encoders

It’s pretty similar to my behavior, although yours seemed to chill out much faster. Sometimes when it bugs out I can’t set a parameter. When in this situation, I typically go to some other page and then come back to the LFO page later – I don’t know if that helps or if it just gives me something else to look at while time elapses and the encoder stops having its fit :wink:

Twiddling knobs vs. multiple full turns are distinct, I think. Some encoders typically get only tiny movements from me. Those are the ones, I think, that need the multiple full turns.

I found leaving the encoder in another position worked most of the time, I would make a temp save or copy, give the encoder a half turn and func+no/paste the pattern back .
I do think that some encoders are more prone to trigger than others, whether that is a physical difference with the encoder or something else I don’t know.

Ok i’m lost.
Sorry, it’s going to be a liitle long but details are always needed when trying to identify behaviours etc.

But for those who might want to read a short version :
Everything seems back to normal …and i don’t understand why ( But with funny weird events before a “no errors” test mode) i will test it in real conditions to confirm (fingers crossed)

So, for the “long version” :

Got the DN out of the box, turn it on and the first thing i try is the one finger light touch/push on the faulty F…and no Jitters.
Proceed to make a few turns…no jitters.

At this point i wonder if i have false memories so i try E and a slight jitter occurs with a light touch. I make a few moves, and it gets stable and acts normally.

The same behaviour happens to two other rotary buttons :
A few jumps/make some turns/ back to act as expected after a few turns.

Then i make several touch on all Rotary Buttons and no Jitters.
Every buttons are ok…???

Turn off the DN, made the full turns series on ALL buttons (because why not ?)
make a test mode: No Errors.

Like i said…i’m lost.
Back When the jumps happened (only on F at the time) I did the full turns with the machine turned off but the problem persisted and the test mode showed errors on the F ( with a vertical line showing the actual jitters).

A few months of no activity later, the faulty Button/encoder is ok, the others that showed no problems acted funny for a second and then everybody is OK.

???

Conclusion :

I will test the DN properly this evening to check it’s behaviour on the long run and will report.
Trying to keep it cool and not celebrating yet, but if all is back to normal, i am SO clueless.

1 Like

Yeah, the encoder issue I’m experiencing seems to be intermittent. I think that’s what you might be seeing too (?) It’s hard to catch it in test mode!

Is cleaning the encoders an option? I wouldn’t try without guidance from professionals (Elektron), but I’m curious if that’s a possibility. As I mentioned, my studio and gear is dust-free and clean, but it could be interesting to get them cleaned to rule that out. If that is an option, is that something that requires sending in for service?

Yes, The intermittent factor may come into play but in my case, there are a few things that puzzles me :
The faulty one that got “fixed” ( it seems)…ok…but,
The other ones that never showed any issues and became problematic for a few seconds …and then back to normal…all that after a long periode without use.

I have a few “leads” that would be too much of a far stretch right now , but i’ll report after a good time of usage to see if they’re worth mentioning.

I was just posting about a similar issue (linked) and I wonder if they’re related.

It’s a shame this is a common issue, but the advice to do a temp save, twist the pot back and forth, then reload has helped me a good bit.

Lagging encoders on DNK

Might be related but my experience is not a lag. It’s fast, but the menus just jump all over the place. Mostly in the LFO page, when I adjust the LFO depth the menu for LFO destinations shows up and starts scrolling quickly through the options – when this happens it’s easy to accidentally change the LFO destination when I meant to change the depth. It’s all very fast actually

Realizing that we all have different issues with these Buttons/Potentiometers/encoders but it doesn’t really change the thing : they love to be jumpy, either with menus, values, pages etc.

Regarding my issues, here’s one thread where i responded because i had the exact same behaviour the OP had with the Encoders/potentiometers on several (!!) Octatracks

Now reporting after a couple of hours of using my Digitone :
At the moment, i’ve only had tiny jump of value on the infamous F one but that’s all.
I don’t know if it needed “rest” or if the full rotation cycles did the trick for this one time.

Other things that i’m not even sure if they had an impact :
When i originally found this problem, i tried to go back to a prior version of the OS just to check but it did nothing, so i reinstalled 1.32A.

When i decided to prepare the machine for a potential return, i made a backup of sounds and projects and then a big cleaning of the user data.
So at this point i’m wondering if turning the machine on later in time, with nothing but factory data is relevant (i would say no, but what do i know ?)

For now i wont bring my data back and won’t use Overbridge, just to check if the stability is still there.

I really, really hope so because it’s the first time i’m using the DN since the end of May (!!!)
And…

I’m
Having
a
Fucking
Blast.

Oh man… This better not happen on my Octatrack. I was thinking it was a Digi-only symptom, but please not the Octatrack!! :sob:

Seriously, I love that thing so much. It has fundamentally changed the way I write music. If that thing starts getting all jittery and jumpy, I’m gonna have a fit. Hahaha

Don’t have an OT but i understand nonetheless.
Having to put my DN back in it’s box was a disaster.
So right now i try to not celebrate too early…but damn it feel so good to play it again.
We’ll see, still, i don’t have a clue why the problem is…fixed ? somehow ?

But it’s an Elektron problem for sure.

@avantronica
Do you mean heat, as in the general temperature of the room? That could explain why it’s intermittent. Maybe it only happens when it’s hot? I’m in Los Angeles and it’s been warm, but nothing extreme. Probably an average of high 70s low 80s Fahrenheit (maybe 25°C). Or did you mean the heat from the actual hardware? I guess those are related… The running temp will be higher in higher ambient temperatures.

Also, do you have any info on encoder cleaning? Is that a thing that can be done, just to rule it out? It’s been in a very clean environment, but you never know.

@NeonMelk
Well, I hope your issue is solved! I’m pretty confused about how it might or might not have solved it, but maybe the temperature factor? You were wondering about false memories, but what if they were real memories and it’s operating at a different temp?

I think I’m going to back up my stuff and factory reset. If this is software-related that could help.

If it’s not software and I need to get my Digitone serviced now is actually a good time for me, because I jumped on that Korg Opsix deal recently and I’m trying to spend some quality time with it – I’m covered for FM from that synth, but I’m definitely not getting rid of the Digitone.

I do think that with my luck I would send it to Elektron and then they might not see the issue :laughing: sometimes it goes a long time without happening.

It’s pretty strange: we both had the Digitone for over a year before experiencing this. And I think your symptom is very similar to mine, just with a different encoder

2 Likes

Thanks !
Confused is the word…and i have hard time to believe it got fixed with a two months nap.

That’s why i will try to deal with every dumb things i can think of about the why and how.
I’m not sure about temperature because there is no more “old school winters” where i live and it happened before the hot switch.

Backup is always a good thing to do so… yeah, do it anyway.

I’m ready to eventually getting disapointed with the possible return of the “Jitter dance” but for now…i’ll take the good things.

I’m also intrigued with the OPsix , even more because i tried a few vsti FM Synths since my revelation with the DN, but i find nothing as exciting and in tune with me…except Fors devices and Sugar Bytes Aparillo.

But yeah, maybe a nap will work on your machine too…?

Support would be the only source i would trust on that question

wrt the heat, it’s been (no pun intended) a ‘hot’ topic in UK/Europe lately, there are big swings in temperature where i am … it’s just a speculative thought that extreme conditions can nudge components closer towards the edge of their preferred operating window - probably irrelevant, but given we’re talking about analog components it’s part of the bigger picture, you could argue that overuse or under-use could manifest in intermittent gremlins

the trait we’re all seeing is to some small degree a part of the nature of the component, how small fluctuations (the noise) in resistance are ‘managed’ is the role of the firmware - the mere fact that such micro adjustments are needed to make changes suggests to me that the gearing of this input isn’t right - it’s only one step away from nudging values by its own accord and this is also where the firmware comes in

whether anybody’s encoder it beyond normal is possibly hard to tell - but if an encoder is false triggering and popping up a menu i’d ask support about that, especially as it may be a simple user fix - there’s every chance that a replacement encoder could display teh same tendency as there’s no guarantee an issue would manifest in the couple of minutes a tech investigates it after swapping - this is why i think a software tweak for general usability will likely take care of some of the stuff we notice

please don’t try any intrusive interventions to the encoder unless advised

i haven’t noticed any unprovoked jittery-ness recently (wrt garf vid) - but more the general over-sensitivity for adjusting fine values

1 Like

Hahaha! Nice.

Thanks for all the info. Good advice.

And yeah, I wouldn’t do anything to the encoder unless guided by a professional (Elektron). I think I’m going to back up and then try a factory reset and see where it goes from there. I’ll ping support if it keeps manifesting.

1 Like

My issue with jumpy encoders also happened at +/- 1 year. Another issue started happening, not sure when: The inside of my right forearm touched the front right corner of the Digitone. I would start feeling like I was being shocked by the DN. Not a sudden shock. But then I would feel the sharp corner of the metal case and decide this was causing the sensation. The other day I noticed the same sensation with my other arm. So, I wonder if it is possible the DN is releasing electricity into my arm…and if this possible behavior could somehow be related to the jumpy encoders. I will fashion a tin foil hat, do some more experimenting, and report back to the forum.

1 Like

I can’t tell if you’re joking, but that’s hilarious. I guess you can truly call yourself an “electronic musician” now. I look forward to reading about your findings :wink:

Precisely when you noticed it and before and after that - it hasn’t deteriorated, it’s a quirk of these power supplies; this response from HQ …

..What you are feeling is the filter capacitor in the PSU and not the mains. This is normal to all non grounded units that has a larger PSU filter capacitor. You will need to connect the unit to a grounded mixer.

It’s tingly for sure, won’t relate to this topic though !

2 Likes

This is wild I just experienced this for the first time yesterday after years of use. Exact same parameter too. Apparently I just never noticed it.

1 Like

Jumpy encoders and electric flow could be related indeed.

Test if the encoders still jump when not touching anything in your studio.
Also unplug things like refrigerators, lights with dimmers, microwaves etc… See if the problem disappears.

Placing a conductive filter, like a rubber sheet underneath your feet might also prevent this feeling of sensation you are experiencing. Some people appear to be better conductors than others.

I’m not an electrician, so take this with a grain of salt.