A4 - do kits have their own FX engine when you parameter lock?

Hello, I’ve been reading some threads but I’m a bit confused. I understand that you have one FX engine per kit, but when you parameter lock in your project referring to a sound from another kit, will that sound use its original FX engine or will it use the one in the current project? Let’s say I want a reverb on my kick for example to be different from the reverb on my hi-hat, can I then put the kick in its own kit and parameter lock it in a project where the hihat is stored and retain the kick’s original reverb from its kit?

You can’t load two kits at the same time, just different sounds. You can parameter lock the reverbs settings, though.

1 Like

No, FX are a separated track so no sound lock on this side.
At best, only FX sents would get saved in sounds

1 Like

How does this work? My scenario I said above with two different reverbs in the same project is possible?

No, you just have one reverb globally available. But you can change its parameters for every step. And of course for every kit.

1 Like

Thanks, I think I understand now. Then as long as you’re not occupying the same step of the sequencer you should be able to have different reverbs.

Exactly .

I love to pull out the Overbridge Manual for these questions, which oddly enough seems to have much more detailed charts of the signal flow:

I find these very helpful when thinking about the Elektron concepts of Sounds, Kits, etc. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have another question related to this. If you make a pad with note length inf and that sends to the reverb, and then you add a parameter lock to the reverb on step 3 for example, will that change the reverb that the pad is sending to as well? Or is it possible to have the pad sound keep sending to the same reverb settings and while another sound accesses another reverb setting? This is so confusing, I wanna know what the A4 is capable of before I drop a grand on it…

The reverb is only capable of being one thing at a time, the pad sound will change, see if you can work your way around the delay on the pad to see if you can get around the need for two separate Rev sounds to occur simultaneously

2 Likes

Damn, the whole FX thing is really bumming me out… I use different delays and reverbs on every sound i use so that wouldn’t be an option either. I wish the A4 had the same system as the Octatrack :sad:

See if you can trade your A4 for an AK or mk2 when it comes out, that way you can do the individual line outs into different FX processors(or the OT) either that or use overbridge and do your Fx ITB :slight_smile:

Ah yes that could be an option. But as I understand it you only get the 4 outs, so if i sound lock to a sound that I want a different effect on I’ll run into the same problem again. I’m sure with some careful planning it could work out though. Cheers :smile:

Oooh reverb sound locks— yeah, A4mk2 + OT is your best best as the sends will only come out through the main outs. So the A4 will be the sound source and the OT will be your FX processor.

Either that or via overbridge into Ableton do pattern automation on the Fx?

Good luck!

1 Like

Separate outputs mod for A4 :

2 Likes