A4/AK - 303 Acid Hints & Tips

Transistor pulse and Filter 1 with the resonance below 70 to stay below self oscillation. A perf knob with limited range on the filter 1 res is handy for jamming. (With resonance boost on, I suppose you could turn it off but I’ve never really bothered as it was introduced as a fix to improve bass response). Filter 2 HP frequency and Q to taste with tracking on for a bit of a push in the low register.

1 Like

This pack is not available - does anyone know where I can get it please?

Check this too.

Velocity Mod for accent (increase filt freq, filter attack, vol or overdrive, eventually noise, decrease decay)

Completely off-topic: Am I the only one that always misinterprets your photo as a black stormtrooper with a Jamiroquai hat, @sezare56 ?

I hope so! :smile:
Stormtroopers are white, a hat is a hat…:thinking:

I simply have an hairy OT head. :pl:

Haha, a hat ís a hat, and a (Shadow) Stormtrooper is not a performance sampler. I give you that. Still…

2 Likes

Plus my apologies for the extreme offtopicness, will try to stick with the topic again

there are no rules in acid :+1:

4 Likes

Thanks peeps I spent some time playing with this and also unison, chorus etc.

I am not sure if using osc 1 set to feedback does very much? Do other people have thoughts on this?

Feedback osc is one of my fav features of the A4/AK^^

Work with the osc level(s) and filter settings.

1 Like

Ok

Is there any reason to have the main oscillator Or amp less than max? Does it change the character or interaction with overdrive or feedback osc?

yes it has significant influence.
This thread is very informative with tons of tips and examples for feedback

6 Likes

also don’t forget resonance…there is a little boost in resonance when using accent in the original 303…you can follow that with the schematics.

2 Likes

seen here… https://tinyloops.com/tb303/sound_signalflow.html

1 Like

What is it? :content:
Thanks to remind it I forgot indeed, but I recently used that vel/accent res boost with Digitone.
Can’t wait to make a new acid patch on A4!

Ah ok I see a kind of relation now. :wink:
I was thinking about that hat below. Not off topic, it’s acid jazz. :pl:

1 Like

Acid jazz. Full circle

Can anyone please confirm if the squelchy filter sound in this video is filter one or filter two? Does it use feedback on osc one to achieve this effect?

I really am trying hard to replicate this… Using all of the excellent suggestions in the many threads on this forum

You really gotta check this.
It’s an excellent 303 emulation for the A4/AK, I’ve used it once in a track (because I couldn’t really get it right) and people commented, that it must be a real 303…^^

3 Likes

Thankyou - I have been using this and I believe there are further improvements and tweaks

It is an awesome kit and very well thought out, and I have a TB-03 myself - I think frankly the A4 produces a much richer and more nuanced sound.

My intention is for the A4 to replace my Tb-03 so that I have maximum flexibility from the minimum number of synths in my setup.

If possible I would like the A4 to sound as close and possible - I know many have tried this. I struggle to get the same character of “wow” filter envelope / resonance character, and clearly I need to spend more time with it.

Some tweaks along the lines others have suggested:

• utilisation of filter 2 eg for bass boost in HP2 mode with filter tracking
  • change osc 1 to feedback (this is a personal choice since I prefer the square bass 303 oscillator)
  • adjust the macros to taste eg add chorus

for the slides I find better results running the pattern at double speed, and inserting a trigless trig between the 2 note trigs in a slide to adjust the slide timing to begin at 1/32 (Starting the second half of the interval)

5 Likes

Hello !

I don’t know if you’ll see this message, but I wanted to ask you if you were able to reproduce the sound of the video?

I’ve done a lot of testing on my own, but my acid sounds are pretty poor. Do you think you could share a detailed example of your setup? With OSC1 / OSC2 / FLTR 1-2 / AMP / ENV …

The closest way I found was to use Triangle waveform with the PW over 30 on OSC2, but far from what I was looking for.

Cheers.