A singer/songwriter's approach to the A4 MKII

I’ve started approaching my electronic instruments more as just that - instruments. To be played. In the same way I enjoy playing a guitar.

In the case of the A4 MKII that does involve preparations. Making patterns for different song parts. Holding the verse, chorus, bridge… But with the intention of setting up for performance - for playing - my workflow is gravitating towards approachable expressiveness. Finding a way to play the instrument while I sing.

A bit tricky. But this week of trying the A4 before release has gotten me closer to such a workflow. Using the machine in my lap with headphones has aided my focus on the A4 as a solo instrument. I’m quite pleased with how I’m finding my way around Elektron’s upgraded analog synth.

I’ll happily talk further about preparations, labeling and workflow!

10 Likes

is hooking up the touché’ to the a4 pretty straight forward ? nice song btw. cool vibe

1 Like

Hi Carl Mikael,
Another great vid and tune. A bit off topic; have you tried connecting the touche to your digitakt?
Way off topic; will you be getting (or testing) a rytm mkII?

Yes. Using CV for two shiftings (directions) gives you five modulateable parameters per CV input. Touché’s default CV output corresponds to the standard values in A4.

Using midi took some setup in the computer to get the CCs right from Touché. But once done it’s plug and play. I’ve made two presets for the A4 MKII. One where the Touché is mimicing the joystick on AK (mod, breath, pitch bend) and one where it controls four of the performance controls via midi (A-D).

It works a treat!

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks you!

That I don’t know.

I haven’t. But that should work fine - it’s just midi. You just wanna decide what four parameters to control!

2 Likes

Great work. You have produced some excellent content for this community I’ve recently learned. You are to be commended sir.

3 Likes

:blue_heart: Thanks!

This is what I most missed about my A4. I’m a (crap) keyboardist at my core so traded up to an AK ages back and just didnt click with it. I think with keys you really feel the 4 voice limitation but when playing like you are you don’t. Probably a psychological thing I couldn’t get past as obviously its fundamentally the same engine after all.

Another great tune though. Still trying to keep it real and not get carried away by the new shiny toys but I think a Mk2 will be acquired somewhere down the line. I wasn’t fussed at first for the new layout but seeing it in peoples hands I have to say Elektron have really nailed this revision.

Praying the AR Mk2 does not pique my interest. Never liked the AR (twice owned one). Might just avoid any video of it just in case…

1 Like

So did I; A4 to AK about two years ago. I really like the AK. It’s been my fav and goto synth for a long while. But I’m almost wondering if the A4 MKII doesn’t beat it from my point of view. Definitely in sound - but also in workflow.

3 Likes

Okay. I’m officially interested now. Either I’ve just never caught on to the sonic depths of the A4/AK, or something’s different enough this time around that I’m finally catching on to it. All demos on this just sounds great. I didn’t think so of the A4.

Though I’m prepared to admit that I’ve got front row seats whenever the Emperor shows off his new outfit.

2 Likes

But I did dress up in my finest clothes. Was considering being naked to add some buzz, but am trying to refrain from too cheap tricks.

1 Like

Yeah. And also, naked’s so done.

Seriously, tho - is the MKII a potential converter if you didn’t like the MKI? People seem to just approach the II differently, somehow.

you just caused me to buy a touché.

1 Like

I don’t know. The sound is tweaked to the better. And the new form factor is more approachable (I think… I know those who say it’s too clumsy, especially for packing when gigging).

But it is the same thing. Tiny evolution. No revolution.

But I liked MKI - and I’m a sucker for new and shiny. it is very possible I would have made a change in any case.

1 Like

Ok, thanks. Awhile ago, I was debating whether to get s Sub37 over an AKeys. One of the reasons I went for the Moog in the end, was the very profound differences in its raw tones. The Sub’s just more beatiful there.

But I’m hearing similar beauty in the new A4, and the functionality to boost can’t be beat.

1 Like

About sound… I am using an external oscillator together with the internal tri wave osc. But I think the raw beefy aggression comes from the tweaked filter and overdrive. Don’t think I’d come close on the MK1 or AK.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for letting me know. Even if it’s super awesome, I’m deep into the Deluge now, so I see myself playing the AK4 MKII in the store, probably loving a lot of things about then but then return home to my trusty New Zealand work-in-progress and just let it know that it’s got nothing to worry about :slight_smile:

All the same, thanks for sharing and being such a great guy - that’d be you I’m referring to, not the A4.

1 Like

Hello Carl Mikael,
May I ask, if you use A4 asan instrument (jumpng back and forth patterns, kits i suppose) how you deal with the pattern autosave thing. Doing this spontaneous, putting in plocks, changing sounds and trigs results in a mess because on a4 you can toggle
Auto reload kit on pattern change but not auto reload pattern on pattern change.

Whats your steategy to deal with that.

Im very sorry to always only speak about this topic, im curious how elektronauts handle this behaviour.

As customer i can say that I cant turn on machine, go wild with encoders and knobs without worries, turn off and machine is like before turning on is what is keeping me away from replacing my a4 one day with a4 2
without doubts.

Thanks for your videos and in general thanks for this great forum

Interesting, I was just going to start a thread about whether or not the A4MKII sounds better than the AK. I just saw Cenk’s video and he seems to say they oscillators, filter, and overdrive are all tweaked.

I don’t own an A4 (or a touche for that matter) but this is the sort of thing I visit Elektronauts for. Such a cool idea, and a great video with downloads available as well … way to give back. My hat’s off to you!

1 Like