A Show of Shows - Superbooth, SFF, NAMM - Spring 23

Synthfest France is on !

Doors are open.

9 Likes

Great, but no live coverage?

Nothing on the official site and nothing on YouTube either, and yes, I am impatient this year cause I want to hear the Aodyo peeps talking 'bout Brass!

2 Likes

Never bothered waiting for announcements before, so please bear with me on this!

SFF is a physical show that people attend just like NAMM, right? So what I don’t understand is how, after the show has been running for a whole day now, not a single person has uploaded a single video to YouTube, and there are no new announcements on gearnews.

So that’s a synth show but no new videos from Sonicstate, nothing on YouTube and the counter on the official website has simply come to a halt but nothing has changed.

The only explanation I could come up with is that maybe they don’t post anything until the show has ended. But that doesn’t make sense either, because it woudn’t stop the visitors being able to upload videos of their visit and findings to YouTube etc.

So now I’m thinking aliens have invaded and beamed them all up to a giant spaceship :grin:

1 Like

I think usually the youtuber Les Sondiers covers SFF but he is winding down his channel now.
It is strange the SFF channel did promote the show with youtube shorts in the lead up, but now no updates. but with the average of 60 views each you can see its a smaller show.

3 Likes

I’m not familiar with the show, I must admit. But even so there’s a huge list of companies listed on the attendance list. Even big names like Korg and Yamaha are attending, and artists like JMJ, so it all just seems really weird to me, like being trapped inside a surreal movie or something.

The most surreal part for me, the one I simply cannot get my head around, is that no one attending a show with so many companies present has reported on it. I mean how is that possible?

There’s nothing, absolutely nothing, not even YouTubers so it’s as if the show never happened!

I expected the forum to be filled with Jukka posts by now, posting like a news-bot possessed about all the new stuff. But there’s no Jukka posts either, so maybe the aliens got him too, so it’s definitely aliens, because at this point there can be no other explanation for this weirdness!

:thinking:

This happened last year as well with SFF. The reports from the show were slow in coming, and spotty. There was some stuff completely unreported in the normal music industry press. A lot of what came out was from private individuals that atttended the show, and did videos, or interviews with either Les Sondiers or elsewhere.

Also there is a mismatch, with trade shows on the weekends and the trade press mainly not reporting on weekends.

But that said i’d still expect more information by now. SynthAnatomy is a listed participant after all. So i’ve been watching their site.
Les Sondiers is an participant as well.

SFF is in a funny between space. It is taken very seriously by French companies and performers, from Arturia on down, but i’d say perceived as too small for serious coverage by the larger music trade press, the way NAMM or Superbooth is. And yet real news gets broken, as it did last year.

There is an ongoing investment in the technology and products inside of France. You see the flowering of many new things the last few years. And yet it is distinctly being under-reported.

So what is being missed at this moment. ( Looking for status and more detail. List in no particular order. )

• MASK1 from Kodamo ( plus potentially several other major products from Kodamo )
  • Anyma Omega from Aodyo ( plus updates expected or possible for the Anyma Phi and the Sylphyo )
  • WoFI from Kiviak
  • The Pool from Baloran ( this massive analog poly was shown last year, and is close to shipping now. )
  • La Voile from La Voix du Luthier
  • Osmose from Expressive E ( this has been out in limited numbers, but is still of significant interest )
  • Arturia
  • IRCAM ( there is undoubtably new developments from this esteemed research organization )
  • PWM ( they have at least a couple interesting synths in progress )
  • plus Erica, Bastl, Dreadbox, Eowave, Ina-GRM, Joranalogue, NRSynth, Oberheim, Yusynth, Playtronica, and more

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Baloran – The Pool

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

A tease from new comer Larix Elektro :

ADDED :

I found these two small collections of new information, but not really anything significant :

Facebook for SFF
Modular news from ModularGrid

6 Likes

They are still hangover from the last NAMM party.

4 Likes

Baloran The Pool looks bonkers, wow.

1 Like

And freaking massive! Probably costs a fortune.

5100 Euro. So a small fortune, but not bad at all when you compare it to some other stuff that is obviously overpriced.

2 Likes

PWM have a analog/digital hybrid(“The Creature”) that they’re bringing to SuperBooth, & their other current project is a VST(I originally thought it was a digital synth, but apparently not)

2 Likes

Interesting.

From Superbooth a year back, i wrote this :

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been on the fence about buying a Malevolent for a while & emailed them to ask if The Creature is still on track last week & to my surprise they responded to say “finger crossed” it should be.

The SonicState video teasing it from last year mentioned something about wavetable too, so I’m hoping it’s something similar to the DSI Evolver

1 Like

Slow news day ( while waiting for anything from SFF ) SynthAnatomy speculates about whether there will be a Pulse 3 announced by Waldorf at Superbooth ?

At the end of this article.

Can a show be the time for disannouncements ?

News at Superbooth : Waldorf announces they’re dropping the Pulse 2.

4 Likes

These shows are disappointing this year.

Where is Elektron Syntone? Where is MPC Live mini? Where is Yamaha ANX? Where is Roland MV 808? Where is teenage engineering toilet desk? No Blofeld 2 module? No new keytar?

And now they even disannounce gear? Less is more.

NGNY 2023 intensifies.

13 Likes

Well said !!

2 Likes

Disannounce is the new announce.

6 Likes

SuperBooth 2023 - May 11-13

Melbourne Instruments will be at Superbooth 2023. If you’re in Berlin come say hi!

3 Likes

Blofeld was discontinued as well. Makes me wonder if they will have something new to replace them.

3 Likes

This is not on the Waldorf Music web-site like the Pulse-2 discontinuation announcement. I have so far been unable to find any word on this elsewhere.

1 Like