A second new machine? [Analog Rytm launch, January 2014]

I guess if it is a drum machine with analog, just means I don’t have to worry and can probably just get that MnM I’ve been wanting :slight_smile:

But I’d really be psyched about (and preorder) something that’s along the lines of the Monomachine’s crazy cousin (or slutty sister).

oh jesus… just show us the thing already

BEHOLD!

clearly it has a sequencer.

the colored lights all firing off have me intrigued, though. Almost looks like pads… >.>

There is a small gap on the left front of that box. I feel I have glimpsed the future.

Hector is controlling it with his mind from across the room, isn’t he _
That’s why we haven’t seen a video

Hector is controlling it with his mind from across the room, isn’t he _
That’s why we haven’t seen a video[/quote]
I figured they caught Hector at the end of the last video and they uploaded his mind to a sequencer. This new hardware has a copy of Hector’s mind already installed.

Nein will you at least say if it’s the same size as the current boxes? I’m hoping so, I want a two tier Elektron stack.

I’m really hoping Elektron realise that the real future here is hybrid creation. Blending analogue and digital. This analog keys sounds awesome to me but I really wish it had some kinda sample advantage too. With the octatrack they managed to make something truly special so I’d really like to see this rolled into the keys version and the drum version. I think it’s safe to say everyone really wants a hybrid from machine.

they do realise that.
they are a capitalist enterprise, operating in a capitalist society. you’re supposed to buy the Analog Keys AND the Octatrack AND the MD AND the MnM AND the…

see ?

:sob: :disappointed:

Had tempest included sample upload and a refined os, tempest would already be the best drum machine in history. It’s what people are waiting for and expect with a modern drum machine.

I get the whole buy multiple box thing but no, I want it in one package personally. Not overly complex sample management, just some basic stuff from OT would be nice. Eventually someone is gonna nail it and it will be a hit. That contributed to a massive amount of pre tempest hype. Sadly its now not going to happen.

I’m just hoping Elektron can rise to the challenge and have their take on it.

Till then, even with its flaws… Tempest still rules the roost with the modern analog drum world.

If the analog keys had SOME sample ability id already be ready to buy. Having only analog or digital in a single box is not as exciting.

oh jesus… just show us the thing already[/quote]
AHHHH ALL THIS ANTICIPATION BUILDING UP TO TONIGHT AND NOW WE GET… MORE ANTICIPATION!!! This is cruel and unusual Elektron!!! But damn it works!!!

wanty wanty no getty.

I want lots of things. You asked “when will Elektron realise…” and I told you, they already do. They’re capitalist. They’ve provided all the options you asked for - you just need to put your hands in your pocket and clear a teensy bit more space.

as far as your tempest reference goes, I don’t know if you’ve followed it’s development from the very first days like I have or if you contributed some specific feature requests that ended up being implemented like I did, but if you did, you’d know that - not entirely unlike Elektron - they branched off midway through development and Tempest became the analog drum machine aspect of it. The implication, certainly at the time, was that Roger Linn would be releasing the cheaper Sampler/Sequencer aspect of their collaboration…Sampling/Sequencing ala MPC ala Roger Linn’s major claim to fame. So you see, that omitting sampling in the Tempest - even basic sample playback - was not a mindless oversight on their part, but rather a calculated decision to give the ‘linndrum’ some marketability. They got thousands of requests for sampling or at least sample playback capability - but how is Roger supposed to flog his forthcoming Sampling units if he’s already provided it in the tempest ? Basic capitalist economics mate, avoid cannibalisng the sales of your other products whenever possible. Wake up and smell the sunshine. Though that’s not to say that plans won’t change. If Roger decides, behind the scenes, to totally give up on his new linndrum, the sampling option in Tempest becomes more viable. Likewise if he gets his unit to market for a year or two first.

in the meantime someone will probably deliver what you want, but this is not because Elektron didn’t “realise” what people would like to see in one unit. I can see them sharing bits and pieces of other devices as their lineup progresses. An analog filter here, an oscillator there, but there will always be a unit with a stronger sampling aspect and another with a stronger analog aspect. You’re not going to get you’re mega dream machine in one mid-priced unit, not from Elektron anyway. Just stick your analog 4 on top of your MD and pretend they’re one unit.

oh jesus… just show us the thing already[/quote]
AHHHH ALL THIS ANTICIPATION BUILDING UP TO TONIGHT AND NOW WE GET… MORE ANTICIPATION!!! This is cruel and unusual Elektron!!! But damn it works!!![/quote]
it’s annoying though. just drop the bomb already… get it over with in one night and let the internet churn on it.

ya, it’s annoying they’ve created a hype only to announce… more hype. Kind of unfair. Keys announcement notwithstanding, though that was a foregone conclusion.

maybe they’re not announcing what the new machine is to give Tarekith a chance to sell his MD mkII first :slight_smile:

wanty wanty no getty.

I want lots of things. You asked “when will Elektron realise…” and I told you, they already do. They’re capitalist. They’ve provided all the options you asked for - you just need to put your hands in your pocket and clear a teensy bit more space.

as far as your tempest reference goes, I don’t know if you’ve followed it’s development from the very first days like I have or if you contributed some specific feature requests that ended up being implemented like I did, but if you did, you’d know that - not entirely unlike Elektron - they branched off midway through development and Tempest became the analog drum machine aspect of it. The implication, certainly at the time, was that Roger Linn would be releasing the cheaper Sampler/Sequencer aspect of their collaboration…Sampling/Sequencing ala MPC ala Roger Linn’s major claim to fame. So you see, that omitting sampling in the Tempest - even basic sample playback - was not a mindless oversight on their part, but rather a calculated decision to give the ‘linndrum’ some marketability. They got thousands of requests for sampling or at least sample playback capability - but how is Roger supposed to flog his forthcoming Sampling units if he’s already provided it in the tempest ? Basic capitalist economics mate, avoid cannibalisng the sales of your other products whenever possible. Wake up and smell the sunshine. Though that’s not to say that plans won’t change. If Roger decides, behind the scenes, to totally give up on his new linndrum, the sampling option in Tempest becomes more viable. Likewise if he gets his unit to market for a year or two first.

in the meantime someone will probably deliver what you want, but this is not because Elektron didn’t “realise” what people would like to see in one unit. I can see them sharing bits and pieces of other devices as their lineup progresses. An analog filter here, an oscillator there, but there will always be a unit with a stronger sampling aspect and another with a stronger analog aspect. You’re not going to get you’re mega dream machine in one mid-priced unit, not from Elektron anyway. Just stick your analog 4 on top of your MD and pretend they’re one unit.[/quote]
I had a Tempest from launch and contrubited to feature request and bug testing for years.
DSI did say sample upload was coming at one point. The road map changed due to hardware limitations and complexity, not due to a imaginary machine still unreleased years later… If at all.
Finally, machine drum already includes sample import and I’m after an updated version so I disagree with you in almost every respect. Adding sample ability in an analog based drum machine seems very likely IMHO. I’ll watch this space for the next announcement

OK, I´m done…
I´m a grown man with a daughter and I´m not doing it well for her, acting as an justin beaver´s fangirl with this new machines stuff

I´ll leave this forum now and will back in 1 month to see the end of this thriller film

Looks like drum / trigger pads to me along with the usual step sequencer light chasing. Tempest beware… or maybe only Maschine beware…or maybe its a box full of bike lights…

I must admit, the whole night of the machines not revealing the machine but keeping it in a box is a bit childish, but I suspect deadlines weren’t met, loads of stress, a new OS, keys, they prob had no choice.

But next time yes, please just get it over with as I am 42 years old and this is a bit Bumba meets the new Pokemon :slight_smile:

I’m talking about the R&D stages, back when it was the boomchik, back when it wasn’t even the boomchik but a simple announcement on both their websites, fielding suggestions for features.

DSI never said sample upload was coming. They said, in response to it being continually requested, that if it was to come it would be in the very distant future. It was a kind of mealymouthed response to the requests. The roadmap changed before the tempest was even called the tempest, let alone before you got your greasy hands on one. Whatever about the reasoning behind the boomchik’s change in direction, the fork in the road was clear: Tempest = analogue drum machine, with some Roger Linn sequencer magic, and the other as yet untitled road = the sampler/sequencer-centric drum machine, with much more of the Roger Linn sequencer magic. That’s official., that’s fact. Things may change in the meantime, but I don’t see DSI stepping on Roger Linn’s toes with respect sampling until such time as Roger gives up on his own aspirations for offering the same…or at least gets it to market for a couple of years first if he goes ahead with it.

Regarding Elektron, we don’t even need to rely on common sense and a basic grasp of capitalist economics, we just need to look at their well established MO. They sell dedicated machines for each aspect, and are very very careful not to provide too much of one unit’s functionality in another. These decisions aren’t made because they don’t ‘realise’ what we want or desire, as you said. We can speculate as to what informs their decisions, but given how they’ve developed and marketed all their other devices, I’d say a hefty amount of capitalist thinking goes into it. And I don’t say ‘capitalist’ like it’s a dirty word. It’s just a matter of fact. And as I said, you may get a smidgen of sampling functionality in one of their analog boxes, or vice versa, but if you want to be fully satisfied of either sampling or analog functionality I’m convinced you will need to suck it up and buy the dedicated box for such use.