A new learning resource for modular synthesis

I had the idea to write an introduction to sound generation based on my Eurorack system. It isn’t complete, but it’s far enough along to share. I’m posting it here first because this community is friendly and supportive, but I do want constructive criticism if you have it (in this topic, via DM, or any other way you choose to get hold of me).

https://cs.uwaterloo.ca/~plragde/flaneries/FIMS/index.html

After a brief introduction, the second chapter focusses on basic concepts using a single module, Frap Tools Falistri. The third chapter (incomplete for now) brings in other modules and uses them to discuss more ideas. It’ll be a living document; I’ll continue to update it and add to it. It’s in the style of several others I have written, but those were all about various aspects of computer science. This is a departure for me.

[Edit: draft is now complete.]

11 Likes

had a quick read through and i think it’s nice to have something like this available, regardless of whether there’re already other resources or not.
i would maybe like to see some videos in there too? maybe just a link. a pdf version would also be a nice add-on
:+1:

2 Likes

What sort of videos (or links to them) did you have in mind? I figured most people could do their own YT / IG / manufacturer’s Web page searches.

Producing a PDF from the same source is tricky, as there are a host of issues that arise when formatting pages that don’t arise with web pages, and vice-versa (e.g. page breaks). I can try with just the defaults and see if I get something that doesn’t have too many infelicities.

It looks excellent, I’d suggest maybe also to have a section less geared toward specific modules and taking a broader approach for beginners?

4 Likes

Something between the chapter 2 beginner approach and the chapter 3 deeper look at specific modules? Perhaps an expanded introduction to section 3.3 (Modules) that goes over general families of modules?

1 Like

this and as you’ve mentioned Doepfer (and Buchla), maybe go a bit more in details over some of the early/basic modules or those that were initially in the A100 system…just to give an overview on things and then compare that with more recent ones like the Erica Synth System…

1 Like

Yes, you do a good job of explaining everything clearly but possibly might be a bit unclear for a beginner in places, it is a long time since I was a beginner but I have taught a few people about modular and synthesis over the years (through talking/showing not text, I can’t write well) and found that sometimes some of the basic principles which we take for granted are not fully understood or common knowledge.

For example simple concepts like using a VCA for other than amplitude modulation, using a VCO as a modulation source and so on - a lot of people (in my experience) don’t understand that they can be used this way, so they can think a VCO is always just an audio source, a VCA just for volume amplitude etc. I remember after demonstrating things like this to someone and they were surprised, because I just assumed they already knew.

I have not read everything you wrote so some of what I said might be redundant or already covered in this context.

4 Likes

This is a good idea. I will see if I can write sketches of early Moog, Buchla, and Doepfer systems.

1 Like

It’s very easy for hidden assumptions to creep in, or to use a term before it is clearly defined. I usually have to make several passes over writing to avoid this, and that is definitely ahead for me with this material. It also sometimes helps to explain things more than once in different contexts, and I will be looking for those opportunities as well.

1 Like

I’ve added some more advanced (though still elementary) patches to Chapter 2, and there is now a lot more text in Chapter 3, even though it is still incomplete.

thanks for this write up! really good and not dry read :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks! I am trained in academic writing, but try to let a little personality infuse in…!

Complete novice here, looking forward dipping my toes into modular (miRack). This is really helpfull .Thanks for sharing !

You’re welcome! Happy to take suggestions and to consult as desired.

1 Like

Chapter 3 is now complete. I will let it rest for a bit, then start a re-read to polish, check consistency and define-before-use, and so on.

1 Like

Just now came across your three chapters and hope expanding them is still a future and interesting project for you. I see you have an interest in functional programming and have probably taught Scheme and Haskell and other such things. Just my opinion, or area or interest, but would be fascinating to see if the “function” analogy you mention at the beginning of your chapters could be carried through all of the chapters. In other words, modular synthesis as an expression of functional programming. I don’t know if there’s any practicality to that or if it would only be useful to someone who had background in functional or possibly OOP programming,. But, anyway, you mentioned it to begin and when I found your chapters on the web, I thought, wow! … this is fantastic stuff!! regardless of whether or not the functional programming analogy is carried through from beginning to end. Also, would be interested to know more about the journey that led you to Frap Tools and Falistri (the function generator) as a first module although perhaps that’s obvious from what you’ve already written. Thanks again for posting those chapters ! Really interesting and helpful reading!

1 Like

Thanks! I have been adding to and tweaking the third chapter as I acquire modules, but the pace of that has slowed down lately (thankfully). I’m probably overdue to revise the entire thing. I also wrote up a workshop that uses VCVRack to explain or make audible some mathematical aspects of sound. That hasn’t been used yet since the person who would run it is on leave.

https://cs.uwaterloo.ca/~plragde/flaneries/TSOM/top.html

I think the functional programming metaphor is one that someone interested in that subject will recognize and use to advantage, but it may be counterproductive to someone who doesn’t know about it. Plus it is not perfect; an FP patch would be a tree, not a spaghetti tangle. Anyway it is more an inspiration than a consistent theme.

Here is the story of my journey into Frap Tools. I read widely on Elektronauts, past the particular gear I own or potential purchases. At first I dismissed modular as too expensive, but I had owned a primitive modular as a teenager, and the idea had always appealed to me. I sought advice from @your_lamp, who graciously demoed his Shared System for me and lent me an 0-coast. Our conversations started out focussed on that, but I started reading ModWiggler, and making lists. At some point I noticed that everyone who spoke about Frap Tools Brenso (the complex oscillator) basically raved about it. I listened to some videos and was hooked.

Brenso was supposed to be my first module, and I hadn’t still made up my mind to commit, but this was during COVID and chip shortages, so availability of lots of modules was scarce; many were only available at one vendor convenient to me. While I dithered, I investigated other Frap Tools modules, and was impressed by Falistri. (My mental path went Maths -> Delta-V -> Falistri.) I had that on my list to be purchased at Perfect Circuit, only to learn one day that it had gone out of stock. For a moment I was panicked at the whole dream collapsing. Then I said to myself, “This is probably a sign that you really want to do this,” and poked around to see if I could find it elsewhere. It was in stock at Nightlife Electronics, so I placed the order to secure it, and then, probably within half an hour, I placed the order for Brenso at Detroit Modular.

Perhaps that is not so interesting a story. Slightly more interesting is how I chose Falistri as the basis for the second chapter. In fact, it was the catalyst for the whole project. I had been frustrated by the frequent advice on MW and Reddit to “just work through the Maths Illustrated Supplement”, because that document wasn’t nearly as helpful as I would have liked. Originally I was going to rewrite it to mitigate some of its deficiencies, but when I started doing that, I realized that I would need to have Maths myself to get under the skin of some of the patches. I thought, “I have Falistri at hand, and I could start from scratch and do things the way I think is best,” even though that probably drastically reduced the potential audience. Anyway, I’m so glad you found it interesting.

2 Likes

Thanks for your quick reply and taking the time to explain how and why your modular journey evolved as it did. It’s all really interesting because you go into the modular weeds, so to speak, and write very insightfully about how and why you got there and then got out out!

I agree w/your reasoning about the FP thickets—I just couldn’t resist asking :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’m in the process of putting together a rack. And I didn’t know FT had gone zillions of miles past their beginnings as a maker of cases. Now I do, because of your flaneries. Thus the rabbit holes just got deeper. So I’m trying to assess just how deep I want to go at the moment and it’s clear there are many ways in. Well, THAT I see from your essay and then visiting websites, watching videos, etc.

Thanks, again, very much!

1 Like

ModWiggler is a reasonable place to pick up technical knowledge and detailed experience reports, but it can be an intimidating place, and, you know, these people with walls covered with modules kinda live in a different universe. The “Your modulars” thread here on Elektronauts is smaller and quieter, but has a nice feel and mostly quality posts. You will probably get good advice there.

I gravitate more and more towards Frap Tools, and I have all of mine in a double case.

Even so, there is at least one more FT module I hope to acquire, and others, like Fumana, which might be nice in some alternate win-the-lottery reality.

3 Likes

Didn’t realize you had these. Looking forward to checking them out and I sent a link to my older brother who started having fun with VCV rack. His academic colleagues are deep into modular and generative sound, so he’s building an interest.

1 Like